Favorite Drills (Any Art)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

Chi Sau, bagua circle walking, and pushhands have a lot of practical application if used properly. [/quote]

hey Xen. I was not expecting that from you. Dunno why. But I found it refreshing. I totally agree. It makes me miss training them. I gave it up because I couldn’t afford the gas or the time to get out to the only place with a good teacher as a college student 2x a week.

I wish I could learn circle walking. Only source I have on that is a book… I’ve been unable to find anyone I really think is good at the practical applications and teaching aspects near me. I’ve done just the basics and it feels like a really good meditative exercise as well.

This brings to light I think some of the problems with the TMA (especially “soft arts” from China). It’s not that they suck, it’s just that as with anything you need to really understand them in order to be effective.

It’s much easier to understand how to apply boxing, muay thai, TKD, et al. Consequently there are very few instructors who really know the “soft” arts well enough to apply them in any real sense at all.

Well, that and the learning curve is so damn slow. I think a lot of times that’s why people roll their eyes at TMAs. That and the gullible hero worship.

[quote]No-Gi wrote:

Interesting drills man, as I say in the title, include anything, we’ve got more than just MMA guys in here.[/quote]

Thanks, have to say I really like them a lot for balance and fluidity aspects. Brings a whole new level to the game when you’ve got someone pushing from your back and you’re not allowed to turn around and smach him :).

obviously they aren’t going to train you for full-on combat, but as far as teaching physical or conceptual aspects of the fight game they’re really good.

50 speed kicks on the pads with each leg at the end of a training session is a nice one

Found a vid I want to share with you all. Maybe everyone’s seen it, but I really enjoyed this series. The whole series is a BBC documentary on the martial arts (traditional) done in the early 80s.

Not sharing for the drills or anything, just thought you guys might want to look at the series, which I found absolutely facinating. You can link to all the episodes from that video.

This vid is the last part on kung fu. The wing chun school had only been open for less than a year, so all the students are beginners in the vid. Still some chi sao demonstration.

The chi sao is how I justify posting the vid here :). Dan Inosanto has some interesting things to say at the end of the segment.

sorry for the hijack.

/End hijack

as for drills, I like an attacker/defender combo where only the attacker can move around. Defender must stay in one spot (can change stances though and turn, etc). So no retreating, you have to deal with the strike, you can’t get out of the way.

A good one i did in Judo: you have 4 or 5 guys, two of them start fighting, the first to score any judo or jiu-jitsu point wins, the winner stays and cames another opponent, and the next, etc… no rest between opponents, so the more matches you win, the harder it gets. Its a great mental and physical endurance builder.

I do Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo and Wrestling and my favorite drill by far is this. Its just a basic B & W drill with jabs, body shots, leg kicks, and right crosses on focus mits. You do the combo twice, then a grappler standing right beside the guy holding the mits attempts to take you down/throw you, and you defend it. Pretty simple, but mimics a fight well.

My favourite drill (Bujinkan) is Have your partner atack you with punches, kicks or other strikes, diferent grabs and chokes, randomly, and with each atack you try to do a diferent technique, trying to never do a technique twice.

Any drill where I get to hit somebody.

Sparring.

[quote]Rossitron wrote:
I do Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo and Wrestling and my favorite drill by far is this. Its just a basic B & W drill with jabs, body shots, leg kicks, and right crosses on focus mits. You do the combo twice, then a grappler standing right beside the guy holding the mits attempts to take you down/throw you, and you defend it. Pretty simple, but mimics a fight well.[/quote]

Is there a video example of this somewhere? I’m having a hard time picturing it.

I like this throwing drill from LockFlow:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=2412

If you’re working solo then a regular 70lb heavy bag makes a good substitute. Just for an extra kick in the balls, after exhausting myself on the throwing drill I immediately shoulder the bag and jerk it up for an overhead carry to failure.

For boxing 3 rounds of shadow boxing or sparring on a slow mat (slow mat = 3" foam pad) will do wanders for your legs and feet. Try a couple rounds while standing on your couch cushions or your bed mattress to see what I mean.

Partner Grappling drill. Start with man1 lying on his back the second fellow man2 in the guard. Man1 on his back executes a scissor turn over and gains full mount. Now man2 hugs and pulls man1 down, then bridge and rolls back to the guard. WE generally do this continuously for 3 minutes then switch partners. 3 rounds of this is pretty demanding.

Fight one opponet for two minutes, then another opponet switches in. You do five two minute rounds with a thirty second break in between essentially

Did this yesterday for the 1st time in the white belt only class. I’ve been going for over a month now and this is the 1st time I’ve seen it. Seems to me it should be mandatory for every single beginner’s class. Then again, i’m a noob what do i know?

I get tired after only 1 5 min round of rolling so instead of persevering another 2-3 rounds where I end up tapping out of exhaustion, I’ll try to practice these drills on another mat instead.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
My favorite is the submission chain brought up earlier…typically I go armbar (from guard,) partner yanks his arm out and then I go triangle, then he blocks by wrapping the arm thats inside around my leg, so I go omoplata which he counters by posturing up so I go triangle again and then transition to the armbar. There’s a bunch of similar variations, but when I’m exhausted I’ll try to find someone to do that with instead of rolling.[/quote]

Just to clarify, I should add that I haven’t really been shown any subs. I’ve had to ask other guys to show me except for the americana, we drill that a lot. Still haven’t caught anyone with it, in fact I haven’t tapped anyone yet.

I’ve been told that defense is the 1st priority and I understand BUT many times when we roll I’ll get a dominant position on someone and I have no idea what to do.

-End hijack-

That drill looks brutal. I’m crazy enough to try it but I think my herniated discs would quickly show me who the boss is and leave me on the floor in agony.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

If you’re working solo then a regular 70lb heavy bag makes a good substitute. Just for an extra kick in the balls, after exhausting myself on the throwing drill I immediately shoulder the bag and jerk it up for an overhead carry to failure.

For boxing 3 rounds of shadow boxing or sparring on a slow mat (slow mat = 3" foam pad) will do wanders for your legs and feet. Try a couple rounds while standing on your couch cushions or your bed mattress to see what I mean.

Partner Grappling drill. Start with man1 lying on his back the second fellow man2 in the guard. Man1 on his back executes a scissor turn over and gains full mount. Now man2 hugs and pulls man1 down, then bridge and rolls back to the guard. WE generally do this continuously for 3 minutes then switch partners. 3 rounds of this is pretty demanding.[/quote]

I like king of the mat. Just keep going till you lose. Also as someone mentioned, the drill where you start off with a high crotch or single and have to to work out of it

[quote]danew wrote:
Here’s 3 of my favs:

1. Pocket Drill-stand within punching range and throw punches at one another about 30-40% power. Point is to learn to stay in pocket and punch and move head while punches are coming at you.[/quote]

I’m another supporter of this drill.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
That drill looks brutal. I’m crazy enough to try it but I think my herniated discs would quickly show me who the boss is and leave me on the floor in agony.

Bujo wrote:

[/quote]
It’s actually easy. We did it in wrestling.

Great thread guys. I practice wing tsun but also cross-train in mma and judo. I think chi-sao is second to none for training techniques for the infight. Of course the applications are limited when sparring/competing with gloves.

Another good drill we would do is what my instructor calls “wrestler chi-sao”, however it’s NOT a classic wing tsun drill, I don’t know the origin, but I know the Gracies and Kazushi Sakuraba do it as well. It’s trying to get your hands to the inside of your opponents and controlling his hips. From this basic drill various throws/submissions can be practised.

Sorry for my poor English, I’m sure some of you know what I mean and can maybe explain it better. I’ll also try to find a video of it.

EDIT: Ok, I did some research, it’s called “pummeling drill”. One of my favorite drills.