Favorite Conditioning Method?

What are your favorite conditioning methods that you actually have fun doing? I recently bought a double end bag to go with my heavy bag for a workout so I’m looking forward to trying that out. My newest method is sledgehammer work with a tire. Genuinely fun and a great workout. I also have a prowler type sled, but I haven’t taken that out in a while

Dragging a tire sled. Nothing else comes close for me in terms of fun and effectiveness.

Mountain running, for sure.

I bought a $50 weighted vest(40lbs) online and is in great condition. I use that for walks on non-training days and I also do jump rope intervals after training if I have enough time before school.

I’m thinking about making my own loadable kettlebell and doing swings as a finisher

i like throwing stuff like logs and truck tires around.

Cycling & running (specifically half mile intervals, with the running).

Cycling is probably my favourite overall though, the beauty of cycling is, even if you don’t have a specific distance/speed goal etc in mind when you ride, changes in wind speed/direction, gradient, surface type etc will ensure it likely never gets too dull/easy (providing you are not just coasting along at some pedestration speed of course).

Prowler work is so, so fun.

Prowler pushing slow or sprinting.

Also flipping tires.

My choice of poison is mountain trail running. I have also been known to resort to jumping rope and complexes when it’s not possible to hit the trails.

-Sprint intervals (typically 50m sprints, never more than 100m)
-Kettlebell or barbell complex

-In the evening ill usually walk a couple miles if its not pissing rain. (western washington state)

I dont have access to a sled or tractor tires.

Im trying to figure out the optimum amount of conditioning and extra work to do on off days so as to enhance …(or not hurt) my weight training sessions .

My son and his buddy came up with this: load BB to 50kg (110lb) powerclean, front squat then drop bar.
They did 40reps alternating so they had a short rest. This was done after Squatting, before the rest of their workout.

My son,Joe, then decided he was ‘going for it’ next workout; he did 50kg, powerclean to front squat, as singles (i.e. dropped the weight to floor after the front squat, rest if needed then repeat) without his buddy alternating he managed 50 total reps in 14mins 26 seconds.
I was quite impressed! For info Jo is 6ft 4inch and weighs 15 stone (220lb)
Seems to me to be a pretty good challenge (I know I couldn’ do it).

Other ideas have been 25m jog LIFT, 25m jog back. alternate with buddy and complete 25-50 ‘reps’
LIFT= 50kg power Clean and press, or 115kg Deadlift.
They certainly enjoy these routines.

Lesson here is you dont need special equipment to do conditioning.

Zumba and body weight circuits. Both are fun to do. And both are far more fun than running the treadmill.

Prowler work, hill sprints, kettlebells. In that order. I can’t stand distance running personally. Not built for it.

Sprints, no question.

When you’re near top-speed and it feels effortless (ie. you’re NOT pulling too hard), there’s something incredibly satisfying about long strides and even hips combining to produce fast motion.

[quote]GorillaMon wrote:

Cycling is probably my favourite overall though, the beauty of cycling is, even if you don’t have a specific distance/speed goal etc in mind when you ride, changes in wind speed/direction, gradient, surface type etc will ensure it likely never gets too dull/easy (providing you are not just coasting along at some pedestration speed of course). [/quote]
Agreed and if its technical off road climbs and descents its a good upper body workout as well,not to mention loads of fun!

[quote]GorillaMon wrote:

Cycling is probably my favourite overall though, the beauty of cycling is, even if you don’t have a specific distance/speed goal etc in mind when you ride, changes in wind speed/direction, gradient, surface type etc will ensure it likely never gets too dull/easy (providing you are not just coasting along at some pedestration speed of course). [/quote]
Agreed and if its technical off road climbs and descents its a good upper body workout as well,not to mention loads of fun!

Stairmaster fucking kills me love that thing.

I run a mile or two outside, then sprint the stairs across the street from my Apartment in the park for a a set time. Really can’t get any more convenient than that.

I must admit, Mountain biking and trail running sound like tons of fun though.

Mountain biking is fantastic for overall conditioning, I agree. It’s more impact friendly than running too (except when you fall off!) so no danger of shins splints. However, find a steep, off road hill of about 500m in length and run up in best effort 3-5 times: there’s nothing like it for mental toughness and overall elation.