Favorite B Flicks

[quote]WildCelt wrote:
It’s about an Elvis Impersonator and a black man that thinks he’s JFK…[/quote]

If memory serves me, he wasn’t an impersonator, he was the real deal. As was JFK. But I guess people can take it for what it’s worth.

My contributions to the thread:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

The Toxic Avenger series. (Fun fact - My uncle actually has about 3 seconds of non-speaking screen time in Toxie Part 2 as an extra/henchman.)

[quote]Colucci wrote:
WildCelt wrote:

If memory serves me, he wasn’t an impersonator, he was the real deal. As was JFK. But I guess people can take it for what it’s worth.

[/quote]

That’s one of the elements of the movie. It never is really clear if he is Elvis or Sebastian.

Big Trouble in Little China!

I won’t dilute the magnificence of that movie by adding any other titles to my list.

Kurt Russell puts in quite possibley the greatest performance in the history of cinema. No hyperbole intended.

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:

I won’t dilute the magnificence of that movie by adding any other titles to my list.

Kurt Russell puts in quite possibley the greatest performance in the history of cinema. No hyperbole intended.[/quote]

That is/was a fantastic movie. Kurt was great in it. I mean that movie gave us Raiden!

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:

Kurt Russell puts in quite possibley the greatest performance in the history of cinema. No hyperbole intended.[/quote]

There are other people who have seen this Gem? Lo Pan may be the greatest villan ever, and his aspirations, to rule the universe from beyond the grave, are quite lofty.

[quote]The Monarch wrote:
BabyBuster wrote:

Kurt Russell puts in quite possibley the greatest performance in the history of cinema. No hyperbole intended.

There are other people who have seen this Gem? Lo Pan may be the greatest villan ever, and his aspirations, to rule the universe from beyond the grave, are quite lofty.[/quote]

Wait a minute, here. Two thousand years and you can’t find one girl to fit the bill? Come on Dave, you must be doing something seriously wrong here.

The 13th Floor

Further evidence that T-Men are like me and I like them – my list is:

Army of Darkness
Big Trouble in Little China
Tremors

Loved The Boondock Saints, particularly when they reunited with Dad.

And on the Bubba-Ho-Tep tip, anything with Bruce Campbell has to considered. Even Escape From LA can be forgiven due to Bruce’s presence. I understand another chapter in the Bubba-Ho-Tep saga is being considered.

Anyway, you guys all beat me to my faves. Right on. This is Jack Burton and the Porkchop Express, signing out.

The Frighteners–directed by Peter Jackson long before the Lord of the Rings movies.

Shawn of the Dead–this movie is funnier every time I see it.

Galaxy Quest–I’ve seen this at least a dozen times, and it still makes me laugh like a dork.

From Dusk to Dawn–the only George Clooney movie I’ve ever liked.

People Under the Stairs–I’ve heard it said that this is Wes Craven’s analogy of how the lower classes were treated during the Reagan administration; works for me.

If you like more violent movies Thursday and Assault on precinct 13(the original) are good. If haven’t seen it (assault) look out for the ice cream van scene, not very nice.

If by B movie, you mean lo-budget, not distributed by a major studio, my favorite is They Live.

If you want a movie that flopped at the box office but was not lo-budget, its
The 13th Warrior

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
So, what are some of T-Nations favorite “lesser known” movies?

A few of mine:

Initial D
Shaolin Soccer
Excalibur
[/quote]

Bubba Ho-tep
(Bruce Campbell as Elvis and JFK is black, nuff said)

[quote]Colucci wrote:
The Toxic Avenger series. (Fun fact - My uncle actually has about 3 seconds of non-speaking screen time in Toxie Part 2 as an extra/henchman.)
[/quote]

Now, that’s B movie. And my pick.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
If by B movie, you mean lo-budget, not distributed by a major studio, my favorite is They Live.

If you want a movie that flopped at the box office but was not lo-budget, its
The 13th Warrior

AlphaDragon wrote:
So, what are some of T-Nations favorite “lesser known” movies?

A few of mine:

Initial D
Shaolin Soccer
Excalibur

[/quote]

Do you prefer the original fight between Rowdy Roddy and Keith David, or the parody from South Park between Timmy and Jimmy - the handicapped kids?

I personally think both are super.

Visitor Q
talk to her
maria full of grace

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
AD:

“B” movies (like in the 50’s) probably don’t see the light of day, just because of the expense of making movies these days, and the Labor requirements. A “Force 9 From Outer Space” made by a guy with a few of his friends and a camera are impossibilities.
[/quote]

That’s ‘Plan Nine’ - you barbarian…

Was released as a major film, people didn’t get it and it bombed, not sure if you’d call it ‘B’ movie though…

Note: Was based on the Phillip K Dick short sotry: ‘Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep’.

The book, by Natalie Babbitt, should be mandatory reading for anyone over the age of 12.

Great, great film; again, the book, by William Goldman should be mandatory reading.

OK…here we go:

[1]The Warriors

[2]Conan the Barbarian

[3]THEM!(Giant Radioactive Ants 1950’s)

[4]Say Anything

[5]The Highlander

[6]Nosferatu (F R Murnau’s 1922 version - more classic than B-Grade: but who’s actually seen it outside cult horror fans - the 1978 remake is also very cool)

[7]Halloween (the original)

Evil Dead 1, 2, Army of Darkness, Tremors 1, 2 (the third one is retarded

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Honestly, most “B movies” today are higher quality than “A movies” just 15 years ago.[/quote]

It would depend on what you mean by ‘quality’

Certainly, progress in sound and visual digitisation has improved the ‘look’ and technical quality of films - and you can hide a hell of a lot os shit behind special effects; but, if you’re suggesting that the overall quality of films has improved (per actings/ writing/ direction etc), I think you’d have a difficult time proving it.

I’ll second ‘Six String Samurai’

and if we’re going for the ‘lesser known films’ catergory I’d have to say ‘Battle Royale’ and ‘Oldboy’. Although they were fairly major in Japan and Korea at least.

[quote]lazyaxus11 wrote:
The Boondock Saints
Equilibrium

I think Boondock Saints is my favorite movie of all time. [/quote]

I was thinking about Boondock Saints too, but it was so great that I didn’t count it as a “b” movie. If I had to claim one favorite movie, it would be Boondock. The soundtrack is incredible, also.

Equilibrium was also very good. I like futuristic/ post-apocalyptic movies a lot, and that one really fit the bill.