Favorite Albums

The course the Ipod thread took got me thinking about albums. Albums as in complete whole works of music. I wanted to see what the thoughts are on your favorites.

My top 3:
Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen
Exile on Main Street-Rolling Stones
The Joshua Tree-U2,

Hmm, ever, probably;

• 2112 - Rush
  • Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
  • Four Symbols - Led Zeppelin

That’s a hard list to compile though, too many choices, but those are just about my favourite three albums ever.

i really enjoy the experience of listening to and getting to know the entire record. that’s why i like the ipod cause with it i can find the time to play a record over and over and over and get to know it really well. the good ones i don’t think i really enjoy until i’ve heard ten times or so …that said the records i’m listening to now over and over and over are:

hank williams III - straight to hell.
this record , especially the second disc which is just one track called “louisiana stripes” completely blows my mind. the depth of hank III is genius material.

tom waits - real gone.
took me awhile to hear the soul in his abstract cubist blues style…absolutely beautiful.

audioslave - out of exile
great record from front back. these guys are so good the danger is to take them for granted. tom morello frickn rocks !

fiona apple - extroardinary machine
i don’t know what to say about this one…real talent. great songs. killer wit. every listen brings something new. she’s such a natural, un-affected singer…

wu-tang clan - enter the wu-tang(36chambers)
wu-tang clan ain’t nuttin ta fuck with. every track everyone of these guys just fuckin rip it. one of the best records ever. rest in peace odb.

rollins band - get some go again
been giving this one a re-listen lately.
easily my favorite of the new mother superior/rollins band. hank’s epic sermon on “money train” is a classic mash of henry music/henry spoken word. awesome!

and there you have it.

[quote]Old Bailey wrote:
Hmm, ever, probably;

• 2112 - Rush
  • Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
  • Four Symbols - Led Zeppelin

That’s a hard list to compile though, too many choices, but those are just about my favourite three albums ever.[/quote]

Old Bailey,
Thats my kinda music man!
For me,
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
Fragile - Yes
There are just too many good albums to narrow it down!

one more :

Gotta add Genesis (with Peter Gabriel singing and Collins on drums, not the pop music crap with Collins on vocals!)
Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway- they’re all excellent albums.

Indiscipline by King Crimson- these guys invented progressive rock!

Can’t have a favorite album thread without a little TOOL thrown in:

Tool- Lateralus

Live- mental jewelery

Green Day- Dookie

and just for shits and giggles

Goo Goo Dolls-Superstar Carwash(uderappreciated album from years ago)

Hey people,
I am new to this site and actually this is my first post. I play drums and I am a session drummer for local NY extreme/death metal bands so you know I am always looking for ways to improving speed, strength and endurance.

A lot of drummers always give me the “I don’t want to get big cause it will slow me down”. Back in the days, I used to think a bigger muscle is a slower muscle but I learned that a stronger muscle is a faster muscle - I think Joe Defranco said that one. Anyway, here are my top pics…keep in mind these albums might either stimulate your lifting experinece and get you in mood for insane lifting or just scare the heck out of you lol -
1)Morbid Angel - “Domination” actually any Morbid Angel album is great!
2)Nile - “Black Seeds of Vengeance”
3)Candiria “Surrealistic Madness”
4)Hate Eternal “I, Monarch”

My all time favorite album is:
Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Comming in at a close 2nd and 3rd are:
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Dark Tranquillity - Character

Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
Blackalicious – Nia
Coldplay – Live 2003
Jurassic 5 – Quality Control

There’s been a bunch of other good ones, but I can put these CD’s on any day of the week and listen to them over and over again. There’s probably a bunch of Coldplay haters but that live album is transcendent.

1)The Allman Brothers- Beginnings
2)Led Zeppelin-II
3)Alice in Chains- Dirt
These are three albums that I can listen to all the way through and I love every song. Unlike most of the shitty albums that are out today with one or two good songs and a bunch of “fillers.”

Am I the only one that wonders why some parents didn’t take the time to teach their children anything about music? Maybe it’s a trait that’s just passed down generation to generation? Music with real substance is hard to find nowadays.

Appetite for Destruction - GNR
Antichrist Superstar - M. Manson

Back in Black
T.N.T.
Highway to Hell
all by AC/DC

To be honest, I rarely listen to full albums straight through anymore. I’ve been swallowed by technology and mostly have a collection of miscellaneous songs, but I’ll try. Here’s my contribution:

The Chroninc - Dr. Dre: The start of G-Funk and a major influence of west coast rap for years to come. Not a bad track on the album.

At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash: Amazingly entertaining. Listen to the inmates cheer with each track. I absolutley love this album.

The Cars - The Cars: Very catchy album. Almost every track became a radio hit. Easy to listen to from start to finish.

Purple Rain - Prince: Prince is just so talented and if you don’t like him, nothing I say will change your mind.

Sublime - Sublime: So varied in its musical style, from rock to raggae to punk, but still flows from one track to the next. I think of SoCal every time I listen to it.

Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde - The Pharcyde: Pure fun and entertainment. Fun and easy to listen to straight through, but the lyrics are clever and skillful, too. Even the skits and interludes, which I usually hate on most albums, are fun and easy to listen through.

Brushfire Fairytales - Jack Johnson: Very folksy and bluesy, but so mellow and laid back that it’s hard not to sing along to.

Paid in Full - Eric B. and Rakim: Jay-Z tries to claim the title, but he will never be greatest rapper alive until Rakim dies. A masterpiece album that influenced so many.

The Best of Sade - Sade: A perfect collection of an amazing voice.

Prolonging the Magic - Cake: My first taste of Cake (bad pun) and my favorite. Even though a lot of Cake sounds the same, when I listen to this album I don’t feel like I’m listening to the same song for thirteen tracks

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - The Wu-Tang Clan: Incredible lyrics on dark beats. It’s funny and menacing at the same time.

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party: The most recent album I have heard sraight through. I’m not even sure just what I liked about the album, but something appealed to me.

The Best of Earth, Wind, & Fire - Earth, Wind, & Fire: Some of their best stuff with no disco hits. A great collection.

Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses: Eighties radio rock at its best.

The Slim Shady LP - The Marshall Mathers LP was probably better, but I enjoy listening to this track for track more. Maybe because it has more of a freestyle feel to it.

The Essential David Allan Coe - David Allan Coe: The biggest hits from the boggest country outlaw. And there is no better drinking song than You Never Even Call Me…

Song Review - Stevie Wonder - Probably the best collection of Stevie hits available on one album.

Metallica - Metallica: Maybe not the popular pick for best Metallica album, but it’s my favorite.

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy: Hard beats and gritty lyrics. So energitic and it keeps my amped through the whole album.

Songs You Know By Heart - Jimmy Buffett: A good collection for either the casual Buffett fan or a new Parrothead.

As I wrote this, I tried to pick albums that represented my varied taste in music. I also realized there are still a lot of albums I enjoy start to finish. I had to leave some out that I still really love. And yes, I realize I included a couple “greatest hits” albums, but they are some good “greatest hits” albums. Anyway, I’m always ready to discuss music and sample something new, so I hope I can discover something new to enjoy from this thread.

[quote]swivel wrote:
one more :

Good stuff. Thanks.

If I had to pick a favorite, I guess it would be everything from Fugazi.

I`d have to say " The Who - Quadrophenia", anything Rolling Stones, anything Led Zeppelin, and anything Beatles, and what about KISS!!!

A tribe called quest-midnight marauders- I can’t begin to explain how dope this album is.From the intro to the end, this album keeps a smile on my face.

Nas-illmatic-This album makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Biggie-Ready to die-some music you hear and you really enjoy it. Some music you feel. I feel this record.

Sneaker pimps- I don’t know the name [my cd’s were stolen so I can’t look]but it’s the one with '6 underground’awesome stuff.

Fugazi-repeater
Essential Johnny Cash
Portishead-Portishead
Weezer-Weezer
Wu-Tang -enter the 36 chambers
Alice in chains-dirt
people under the stairs-ost
pete rock-petestrumentals
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians-shooting rubber bands at the stars
There are so many badass albums, those are the few I can think of off the top.

A few of my favorites are goo goo dolls- in your honor.

sublime- sublime

Dmx- its dark and hell is hot

Fort minor- the rising tied

U2- all that you cant leave behind, the best of U2 1990-2000