Favorite Ab Exercises?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Therefore, they must be doing the job.[/quote]

hahahahahahaha

Evil wheels
Janda situps
Hanging leg raises

If you realy want to prioritize your abd. training.

Make sure you have
Hip flexion
Trunk flexion
Lateral flexion.
Hip rotation
Trunk rotation
And some sort of transverse exercise.

If you dont want to do this in your program. Make sure you do them sometime threw out your traiing yr.

Do this a few times a week Killer Program by CT

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459658

Hi guys,

I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

Any movement that involves forward spinal flexion will work the Rectus Abdominus (the 6 pack muscle), regardless of whether you are stabilizing your hips and moving your shoulder girdle (standard crunches), or stabilizing your shoulder girdle and moving your hips (reverse crunches).

Lateral spinal flexion will work the external obliques and erector spinae (lower back).

And any exercise that requires spinal stabilization will work the transverse abdominus.

In my opinion all of these muscles are necessary to maximize your functionality. However, I think the transverse abdominus is the most important of the three.

I personally think that front levers are the best ab exercise out there. I have used exercise balls, cables, wheels (the standing wheel is also incredibly difficult), and several others and I have to say that the front lever is the most difficult that I have tried.

I would however, say that there are harder exercises out there (mannas, victorians, etc… but these are high level skills which take years to achieve, if even achievable).

I would also suggest working on L-sits and once mastering these, work on v-sits and finally Mannas. If you can get to a Manna, you have got some serious ab strength.

The other advantage to these exercises is that they require minimal to no equipment.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Hi guys,

I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

Any movement that involves forward spinal flexion will work the Rectus Abdominus (the 6 pack muscle), regardless of whether you are stabilizing your hips and moving your shoulder girdle (standard crunches), or stabilizing your shoulder girdle and moving your hips (reverse crunches).

Lateral spinal flexion will work the external obliques and erector spinae (lower back).

And any exercise that requires spinal stabilization will work the transverse abdominus.

In my opinion all of these muscles are necessary to maximize your functionality. However, I think the transverse abdominus is the most important of the three.

I personally think that front levers are the best ab exercise out there. I have used exercise balls, cables, wheels (the standing wheel is also incredibly difficult), and several others and I have to say that the front lever is the most difficult that I have tried.

I would however, say that there are harder exercises out there (mannas, victorians, etc… but these are high level skills which take years to achieve, if even achievable).

I would also suggest working on L-sits and once mastering these, work on v-sits and finally Mannas. If you can get to a Manna, you have got some serious ab strength.

The other advantage to these exercises is that they require minimal to no equipment.

Good training,

Sentoguy [/quote]

What are mannas?

[quote]caladin wrote:

What are mannas?
[/quote]

hanging pikes and Russian twists.
Do a search on this site. They’re brutal and effective.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
dragon flags

super side bends

ab wheel with one hand

one arm bench press[/quote]

Have you got a video of the “ab wheel with one hand”? Or even just a photo?
I’d like to see that.

TNT

[quote]Phill wrote:
Do this a few times a week Killer Program by CT

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459658[/quote]

i printed this out and will be getting on it right away

Squats
Deadlifts
Side bends
Hanging leg raises

Thanks all,
Good ideas.
I do the higher reps as I usually do this stuff after my workout, like deads, squats and so on so I try to keep it to a higher rep count. I’ve noticed overhead pressing when done heavy with proper bracing gives me a great workout in the abs.
Ab wheels truly are fun.
Currently working on the dragon flag, no luck quite yet, but I’m closing in on it.

I like to use those electric ab devices that send electric pulses to your stomach. Man those things work wonders. When I need to add resistance, I just add more cable and shocking machines. I am up to 3 machines right now, about 18 electric cables.

And if you REALLY want to go hardcore, use an Ab-Lounge while using that electric device. You’ll have a six-pack in no time at all.

Weighted chins are any variations of it with a dumbell in between my feet.

I remember an especially brutal ab workout was when i supersetted the above chin-up with a dip. It was devestating. I have since eliminated dips to preserve my shoulders.

As for sit-ups all variations are bad for your spine. I have no back pains or cause for concern but i plan on having a healthy back for a while.

I stick to planks and side planks and all other variations.

Also Reverse push-ups also called supine row works pretty well.

Full contact twist, by far…

Not the best, but one arm DB overhead press work out the trunk pretty good. Just a tip for those who hate situps.

The best imo is barbell rollouts.

I’m surprised this wasn’t mentioned.

Good Mornings.

In my opinion, and I’m sure many of you feel the same way, the best way to work them abs is by heavy weights, just like any other muscle group. So therefore, I suggest ab exercises with weights involved.

Squats and Overhead Squats.

My abs are still letting me know they are there after my workout 36 hours ago.
Nearly, but not quite, as sore as my ass and hammies.