T Nation

Fave Weightlifters

Just wondering who among you guys are weightlifting fans and who are your faves.

My faves would be Pyrros Dimas, Naim Sulemanoglu, Galabin Boevski, David Rigert and Rezazadeh Hossein

Anatoli Pisarenko, Alexander Kurlovich, Yuri Zacharievich, Yurik Vardanyan, Ivan Chackarov and Angel Guentchev.

My fav Americans are Curt White, Ken Patera, Mario Martinez, Pete Kelley and Casey Burgener.

Dimas, Galabin Boevski, Khakashivillis (sp?), Marc Huster, Stefan Botev, Ronny Weller, Vanev, and of course, Vasil.

Big Andy...

Dimas the greek god all the way

Naim. Whenever I look at his lifting vid, I think, "How the heck???". Also Dimas for his crazy power jerk.

I don't know if you noticed but Khak and Dimas have the exact same clean and jerk form.

A lot of Russian and Bulgarian lifters there my friend :slightly_smiling: I have the videos of Zak and he is really amazing

Allow me to share a little that is the legend of Yuri Zacharievich.

-All time heaviest junior(as well as heaviest man for a few years) to snatch double bodyweight (200kg at 100kg category.)

-Broke his elbow on a snatch attempt. Had it surgically rebuilt with a steel tendon, then went on to move up a weight class and break all the records there within two years of the injury.

-His junior and senior total of 440kg at 100kg category was never even challenged.

-Jerked 300kg from the rack in training.

-Clean and jerked 265kg in training weighing about 117kg.

-Powercleaned and jerked 235kg in training again at 117kg.

Holy dog balls, thats incredible. That jerk is over 600 pounds! That's a damn good number for a squat and he JERKED it overhead!

[quote]conorh wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Allow me to share a little that is the legend of Yuri Zacharievich.

-All time heaviest junior(as well as heaviest man for a few years) to snatch double bodyweight (200kg at 100kg category.)

-Broke his elbow on a snatch attempt. Had it surgically rebuilt with a steel tendon, then went on to move up a weight class and break all the records there within two years of the injury.

-His junior and senior total of 440kg at 100kg category was never even challenged.

-Jerked 300kg from the rack in training.

-Clean and jerked 265kg in training weighing about 117kg.

-Powercleaned and jerked 235kg in training again at 117kg.

ABsolutly fuckin ridiculous im trying to thin kabout what the fuck that would even look like and i can barly do it, does anyone have any videos of this guy lifting

There's a video of him snatching 210kg at the '88 Olympics floating around the web somewhere...

Tommy Kono, who I had the good fortune of meeting at the Arnold Classic last year, a real gent.

John Davis, see a clip of him C&j Appolon's Axle at chidlovski.net, a real gutsy lift.

Naim, I've nothing to add to what others have already said.

Doug Hepburn and Paul Anderson, great lifters and strong in every way.

Nice Thread
Chris

Dimas Dimas Dimas!

Kono, Kaki, Botev...

I love the Ironmind video of Stefan Botev's workout. Multiple attempts at a 200 kg snatch, a bunch of hits with 190+, a 250 kg clean, and an ungodly heavy back squat to finish it all off - what was it, in the 700s? All this from a 110-kilo lifter.