Fatty's Blog to Lean and Mean

Hi guys!

An avid reader of T-Nation for about 1 year I’m about to embark on a diet to get rid of that damn layer of fat keeping me back from enjoying life even more than I already do. I also want to take this opportunity to shout a big fat hullo! to all of you.

Now that we’ve got the niceties out of the way, let’s get down to the nitty gritty:

A few facts about fatty old me:

-training age: 8
-height: 67 inch.
-weight: 209 lbs
-belly (widest circumference, about 1 inch below my navel): 47 inch. (damn, that’s about 70 % of my height!)
-supplements: whey protein, creatine, yohimbine hcl, caffeine (apart from these supps and some ephedra in the past I’ve never taken anything else; is yohimbine hcl usage still reckoned natural?)

The photos: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4051/fattyweek1av1.jpg

As you can see from the photos I carry a decent ammount of muscle and I’m strong to boot, but as we all know, that doesn’t mean shit in terms of health and good looking nekkid (right, Thibs?). Now, turning up the pussy magnet is not my primary reason for starting this diet (in fact, I have a loving, sexy and lean woman); I’m just tired of tucking my belly in and having my mood partially depend on my body’s water weight fluctuations: upon waking up I feel around my belly to check if it’s tighter or looser. I guess FFBs and CFBs know what I’m talking about.
The reason I’m doing this publicly here on T-Nation is to keep me accountable. So, thanks to Shugs and his psychology stuff.

Now, what most of you would not believe me is that I’ve been eating very healthy for about 2.5 years: lots of veggies, low and slow carb, lean protein sources. My main problem is my indulgence in terms of getting a good night’s sleep. I usually get about 3h per night. And I consume too much caffeine. Add that to a FFB’s and CFB’s pencil pusher’s sedentary lifestyle and you got yourself a pretty good setup to wind up a fat guy with great forearms (heck, I don’t even have those!).

I’ve once leaned out pretty well, but lots of injuries, some surgeries and my aforementioned lifestyle idiocy made me fat again. But who am I kidding here? I’m responsible.

My approach is pretty simple:

-12 short lifting training sessions per week
-3 steady state cardio sessions per week

The lifting sessions use clustering (one short session in the morning before work, one in the afternoon); the steady state cardio is simple running. Since I’m about 20 - 30 lbs away from a comfortable weight for running, I’m gonna start is slowly and moderate.

Since I lose muscle very hard if I stimulate my body the right way, I can go down to about 1500 kcals / day. My diet is high in protein (tuna, lean meats, poultry, low-fat cheese, whey, whey with oil), low on carbs (salad, veggies) and moderate in fat (olive oil, germ oil, fish oil, low-fat cheese, eggs).

So, I’m just dropping my current caloric input by about 500 kcal, drop all coffee and that’s it.

Now, I’ve got a question: how much glucose should I take post workout? My post-workout-shake usually consists of 60 g of whey protein, water, creatine, ice cubes and some glucose. I usually don’t take more than 25 - 30 g. Should I take more? Should I omit it completely? After that shake I usually down water with salt for a better creatine absorption.

I’m gonna add updated pics and stats each week.

Since I’m still experimenting with my training plan, I’ll add its final version in a few days or next week. Since I’m training in my modest homegym you can expect basic stuff.

Any advice is welcome.

That’s it, fatty is off to train.

So, yesterday’s two sessions went fine. By the way, the first week’s photos don’t show me superhydrated and full of carbs; quite the opposite.

Now I’m off to today’s first lifting session.
I’m a lucky guy, since I can go for a walk or a slow run at my work: there’s a small lake with a park there and even a small shower in the building’s basement. I’ve already precooked today’s meals for work: grilled chicken with some sliced red peppers.

Doesn’t anyone bother to answer my glucose question? By the by, I’m no troll; don’t let my nickname mislead you.

See ya.

There are others much more qualified than me to answer your glucose question, so I’ll leave that to one of them to pop in… however, I do have a question for you: Why do you only get three hours of sleep? Is that by choice, some sort of work/study issue or just a crazy insomniac? Getting enough sleep is the bane of my existence, so I’m curious as to the answer and whether your plan includes a strategy for more rest.

You look like you have a definite goal and a detailed plan so you’re on the right path. Best of luck!

Well, I’ve never heard of salt having to do with creatine absorbtion, so I won’t touch on that one…

As far as the sugar post workout, I would keep it as is until you start to get down to lower bodyfat levels. Getting below 10% or so may require a drastic carb cut. From my experience carbs post workout are good to have, but it doesn’t need to be in the doses a lot of premade postworkout shakes tend to deliver.

Im no pro like some of these other guys but basic workouts are all you really need. Id be happy with just a barbell a bench and 400lbs of weight, considering im not all that strong yet. thankfully we have more then that out in iraq though. would be interested in seeing your workout plan you seem to have the diet down but i would recommend getting more then the 3 hours of sleep i heard about. eat some turkey to help you sleep and look into a good multivitamin with glutamine and tyrosine to help with recovery and prevent muscle loss. just my 2 cents. Just getting back into working out myself and i plan to follow your thread for ideas. gl and keep up the hard work.

Today’s first lifting session was great!

Let’s see how the post-office session is
going to get. I’ll comment on it.

@Xeneize

Sadly, it’s by choice, my own idiocy, so to speak. It doesn’t have to be that way and that’s why I’m modifying this behavior.
I know from experience that increasing my training load and diversifying my training goes a long way to make sure I get to bed early enough.

@Jeffe
Thanks. My main concerns are to speed up fat loss, keep it as steady as possible and to at least maintain my muscle. I know from experience that given enough stimulation it’s hard to lose muscle in a hypocaloric diet for me; even without post workout glucose; heck, even without whey protein. The last time I leaned out I didn’t lose muscle, but actually gained a bit; my main protein sources had been low fat curd cheese and tuna. But I’m wondering if I could improve said goals by using post workout glucose.

@deadpool18
Thanks, dude. You’re right about the sleep and about the basic stuff. Why exactly did you suggest eating turkey for improving sleep? Were you thinking about pre-bed lean protein sources in general or does turkey contain something other meats and poultry don’t? I’ll check out some info on glutamine and tyrosine. As I’ve said, once I’m dialed in with the right set of exercises, I’m going to post my training plan.

turkey contains tryptophan which helps you sleep. try some as a pre sleep snack. in truth milk peanuts and a few other foods contain this as well but those contain more fat. glutamine helps with protien synthesis tyrosine i have heard little of but heard it helps with recovery and helps prevent overtraining injuries.

So, just crammed in today’s second lifting session. It was good considering my plethora of ailments (more on that in a future post) :slight_smile:

Right now I’m deserving my well deserved post workout shake (I’m going without glucose for starters; let’s see how it’s going to peter out) and after preparing tomorrow’s meals for work I’m gonna drag fatty old me to bed to get some shuteye.

@deadpool18
Thanks for the advice and clarification on turkey and tryptophan. Does it work good for you?

Later, guys.

well being that im in the Marines and we dont exact get to pick and choose our food in iraq i cant go on a real diet out here lol. but i did notice it was easier to sleep when i did it before back in the states.

Good to see you’re making plans to get some rest. It makes a huge difference. As does the meal preparation, so good job.

Tryptophan never did anything to help me sleep, but it does seem to have a calming effect. It’s worth a shot.

Good morning (relatively speaking; being from Germany it’s 06.20 am right now), y’all!

Off I go for today’s first lifting session.
Today’s afternoon snack are meatballs made from low-fat ground turkey hen, onions and white mushrooms with greed salad and some self made olive oil and vinegar (balsamico di modena) on the side.
Have I mentioned I enjoy cooking, although I’m a functional eater?

In about 10 hours from now I’m going to have one of my three scheduled runs for this week. I’m curious about how it’ll go. My VO2max must be pretty high, because I’m a good sprinter and usually did 3 to 5 tabata squat sessions (with 220 lbs) a week. I’m expecting to be way off from my former running form, though. Having been an athlete (track & field) before taking up bodybuilding, I really miss running a lot.

Btw, although I’m going by the mirror as one of the most important progress metrics, if being pressed to spit out some numbers I’d say that I have to lose about 33 lbs of lard, putting me somewhat mid 170-ish. 176 lbs sounds about right. Compare that to the following pictures I took in september 2005. Since then I’ve gained some muscle:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4424/tnationff4.jpg

@Xeneize
Thanks. Unfortunately, last night I couldn’t easily fall asleep after having prepared today’s meals. Before I did that, right after yesterday’s last post, I was ready to fall asleep. That was a lesson to me: I’m gonna prepare next day’s meals asap, meaning: right after coming home from work and before my afternoon/evening lifting session. I just got about 3h of sleep :frowning:

Later, guys.

Today’s first lifting session was OK. I definitely can feel the lack of sleep: I’m a bit nauseous and dizzy. I guess I’ll skip today’s cardio session and just go for a walk instead.

As I’ve already stated this week has the purpose to dial me in training-wise. I’ve given swimming a thought: bridging lifting and cardio from a demand-oriented perspective it’s a good thing to do on a non-lifting day. Once to twice a week should do just fine. I don’t intend to get a better swimmer, I just want to move; given my heavy weight I need a cardio alternative to running (I don’t have a bike).

I expect my training schedule to look like that:

day 1:
-morning lifting session (compound and isos)
-evening lifting session (compounds only)

day 2:
-morning lifting session (compounds only)
-running (steady state, 20 min w/o warm up/down)
-evening lifting session (compounds and isos)

day 3:
-morning lifting session (compounds and isos)
-evening lifting session (compounds)

day 4 (non-lifting day):
-swimming

-add a pause day if necessary or repeat days 1 - 4

Thus, a sample week might look like this:

mon: 2x lifting
tue: 2x lifting, 1x cardio
wed: 2x lifting
thu: 1x cardio
fri: 2x lifting
sat: 2x lifting, 1x cardio
sun: 2x lifting

Keep in mind, that each lifting session lasts about 60 min (at most) (including equipment setup, warming up and cooling down). So it’s pretty short.

As is widely known, clustering is a way to set more frequent stimuli by avoiding overfrying the CNS. Correct me if I’m wrong, please. In the past this approach worked quite well for me, but I’m open to your perspectives on this topic. So, while my training might look like a joint chopper, I expect to be fine. But since I’ve made lots of mistakes in the past, I don’t want to take any chances, so I’m interested in reading your thoughts on how to balance out the stress I’m going to put on my system while keeping the desired stimulus frequency.

By the by, what’s your take on those glucosamin and chondroitin supplements to prevent cartilage weardown/damage?

Here’s a pic from 2005. I used a similar training schedule, back then, but without the cardio.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4905/fatty2005xs4.jpg

Wow…did your bulk get a little out of hand there? You were packing some good size on that picture (as you are now obviously)

Morning, fellas!

I had to skip yesterday’s second lifting session. I apologize. To myself. But sleep being what it is, my lack of it for several days really left me with no other choice than to turn in early enough. Interesting enough I got up at about 07.00 am, feeling refreshed.

So, while I’m hydrating a bit and drinking my green tea before my morning workout, I might as well tell you a few things.

At work I’m being seen as being in good shape since I lift on a regular basis. Sure, I got some muscles and people know about my athletic past; but that doesn’t change the fact that I was steering right into health oblivion. Kinda reminds me of how people had seen Gus before his PC. So I made sure about being accountable: I told some of my co-workers about my plans to drop down to about 176 lbs. No turning back in my plans there for me. At the current stage it’s not required to get some extrinsic motivation, but I’ve done my share of transformations and know about the grind to come, so to speak. Matters being as they are, I’m working about 40 - 50 hours a week and doing my master’s thesis at the same time. On top of that, I’m a commuter. For my diet to be successful, I need to be organized. So it’s all about preparation in terms of time, training, food and psychology. I’m also adding a sixth language to my repertoire, right now. Yep, I excel at pressure and am a piece of shit when not motivated to push my limits.
[INSERT MEGALOMANIAC CACKLE]
That’s about as maudlin as I’m gonna get, now it’s lifting time. Today I’m doing home office, so I plan to do some cardio in the early afternoon. My second lifting session will be in the late afternoon or early evening.

@UkpairehMombooto
A post from the knowledgeable Mr. Mombooto!
I haven’t bulked since being seriously fat in 2004. I’ve taken up my studies in late 2002, added about 110 lbs of mainly fat within a year (not due to my studies but because of binge eating habits and a very sedentary lifestyle). Have a look at these pics: http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5215/fatsk7.jpg

From december 2004 to may 2005 (the date of the photo showing me with the most muscular pose you were referring to) I dropped about 105 - 110 lbs; I even gained some muscle, because my arms’ and chest circumferences increased while my body fat heavily dropped.

So, to answer your question: since 2005 I never bulked once, but since I had some surgeries on a serious wrist damage, I let myself hang quite a bit, because I couldn’t lift anymore like I used to (olympic style; just compounds; very heavy; frequently). I just got too comfortable with myself and enjoyed refeeds on each weekend. Then I’ve read some articles of Chris Shugart: in one of those, he mentioned a conversation with John Berardi in which Shugs told Berardi about his weekly ‘refeeds’. Berardi’s dry answer: “Doesn’t seem to work, though.” Man, that was my reality checking moment. Although I haven’t been binge-eating for quite a long time, now, I’m still a far cry away from where I’ve been in 2005. Time to get back there and get truly ripped for the first time in my life. The last time I had visible abs was when I used to be an athlete. And yes, I garnered more looks from the opposite sex when I used to log 60 miles a week running, 3x hill sprinting, shot-putting, doing hurdles…you get the message. In other words:

I suck as a bodybuilder. And that has to change.

Phewww, that rant got out of hand, but somehow it felt good to get that off my chest. Off to lift, now.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
Hi guys!

An avid reader of T-Nation for about 1 year I’m about to embark on a diet to get rid of that damn layer of fat keeping me back from enjoying life even more than I already do. I also want to take this opportunity to shout a big fat hullo! to all of you.

Now that we’ve got the niceties out of the way, let’s get down to the nitty gritty:

A few facts about fatty old me:

-training age: 8
-height: 67 inch.
-weight: 209 lbs
-belly (widest circumference, about 1 inch below my navel): 47 inch. (damn, that’s about 70 % of my height!)
-supplements: whey protein, creatine, yohimbine hcl, caffeine (apart from these supps and some ephedra in the past I’ve never taken anything else; is yohimbine hcl usage still reckoned natural?)

The photos: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4051/fattyweek1av1.jpg

As you can see from the photos I carry a decent ammount of muscle and I’m strong to boot, but as we all know, that doesn’t mean shit in terms of health and good looking nekkid (right, Thibs?). Now, turning up the pussy magnet is not my primary reason for starting this diet (in fact, I have a loving, sexy and lean woman); I’m just tired of tucking my belly in and having my mood partially depend on my body’s water weight fluctuations: upon waking up I feel around my belly to check if it’s tighter or looser. I guess FFBs and CFBs know what I’m talking about.
The reason I’m doing this publicly here on T-Nation is to keep me accountable. So, thanks to Shugs and his psychology stuff.

Now, what most of you would not believe me is that I’ve been eating very healthy for about 2.5 years: lots of veggies, low and slow carb, lean protein sources. My main problem is my indulgence in terms of getting a good night’s sleep. I usually get about 3h per night. And I consume too much caffeine. Add that to a FFB’s and CFB’s pencil pusher’s sedentary lifestyle and you got yourself a pretty good setup to wind up a fat guy with great forearms (heck, I don’t even have those!).

I’ve once leaned out pretty well, but lots of injuries, some surgeries and my aforementioned lifestyle idiocy made me fat again. But who am I kidding here? I’m responsible.

My approach is pretty simple:

-12 short lifting training sessions per week
-3 steady state cardio sessions per week

The lifting sessions use clustering (one short session in the morning before work, one in the afternoon); the steady state cardio is simple running. Since I’m about 20 - 30 lbs away from a comfortable weight for running, I’m gonna start is slowly and moderate.

Since I lose muscle very hard if I stimulate my body the right way, I can go down to about 1500 kcals / day. My diet is high in protein (tuna, lean meats, poultry, low-fat cheese, whey, whey with oil), low on carbs (salad, veggies) and moderate in fat (olive oil, germ oil, fish oil, low-fat cheese, eggs).

So, I’m just dropping my current caloric input by about 500 kcal, drop all coffee and that’s it.

Now, I’ve got a question: how much glucose should I take post workout? My post-workout-shake usually consists of 60 g of whey protein, water, creatine, ice cubes and some glucose. I usually don’t take more than 25 - 30 g. Should I take more? Should I omit it completely? After that shake I usually down water with salt for a better creatine absorption.

I’m gonna add updated pics and stats each week.

Since I’m still experimenting with my training plan, I’ll add its final version in a few days or next week. Since I’m training in my modest homegym you can expect basic stuff.

Any advice is welcome.

That’s it, fatty is off to train.

[/quote]

GOOD LUCK mate, you do hold a large amount of muscle under there, and with a 10% BF you would look like a real meat-head! Good luck - really mean that. Do not allow yourself to get disheartened, slowly but surely is the name of the game so if nothing is moving, change something (usually carbs or calories) and wait to see if it works and continue to do so!

As for the sugar, well 30g is fine post workout as long as it is post workout… ie: within 1 mins - 10mins.

I wouldnt drop that until you have managed to drop a hell of a lot of weight. That can be kept on till the last leg of the race, and you should be able to get to your goal weight without losing post workout carbs.
If you do find you have come to as low Kcal as you can, macronutrient ratios are as modified as possible, and you have come to a plateau - then maybe then, or have a cheat meal if it has been more than 10 days since doing so…

All the best!!

Joe

Had my morning lifting session and cardio in the afternoon. Both went pretty slick, but I noticed that my ankles won’t like running on a regular basis until I’ll have dropped enough weight.
I’m still juggling with the correct exercise scheme. I can’t to the same exercises every day; not because I could get bored, but because of stress balancing. As I’ve said, I’ve got pretty thin and weak wrists, so from a movement pattern perspective a diversified programming is in order or I won’t be able to drive such a high workout frequency without compromising my poor joints :slight_smile:

@Joe
Thanks for the input and encouragement, pal.

About the glucose thing: let me see how the first two weeks go and I’ll decide if I’ll add glucose to my post-workout shake. I really don’t lose muscle easily with frequent enough muscle stimulation; but, then again: the last time I did it this way I was at a much higher body fat level. So, this time around I might be more prone to muscle loss. I’ll get back to you on this one.

By the way, your take on my diet somehow makes me think you’ve gone through a similar process. Did you lose a lot of fat weight?

Hey Fatty.

One thing to keep in mind, is you will be dropping both body fat and water.

The way I look at it, yes you have inordinate amount of body fat.

But you are also storing too much water in your muscle and fat.

Sweat it out, and don’t put it back.

So along with caloric loss, turning into fat losses, plan to lose water over the course of the time.

One way to make sure your losing water, is to measure how much water you take in.

Water is 1lb for 16 oz.

And know how much water you lose.

Scale weight lost in a day is mostly water.

For me, the example was:

1hr of cardio with full clothing dropped 4LB of water.

I was drinking about 90 oz of fluids daily. Drop that down to 64 oz or so of fluids and you easily can drop 1LB a day in fluid.

Its probably not safe for the long haul, but for the short term when you know your packed full of water and fat, you can drop it quick.

I wear sweat suit and a hat to get that water out fast.

Don’t eat alot of sodium. It causes your body to retain water.

Measure your food intakes, and get enough fat.

Don’t trip on losing muscle vs losing fat.

I have a different theory on that than most. Just make sure you eat enough.

If your fat, you will not burn muscle.

No, always been skinny and had to work to put on… i just a smart-arse! (its my job)

Joe