18. Jacksonville
  19. Austin
  20. Oakland
  21. Los Angeles
  22. Arlington, TX
  23. Washington, D.C.
  24. Cleveland
  25. Nashville-Davidson

You know, the mere fact that we even do surveys to see what cities have above average populations of health minded people and which cities are full of supersize-my-fat-ass-more citizens is a sign that we should all consider a “fatass tax”. That way we can afford to give care to people who eat their way into hell since they spent all the retirement money on lard-maker menus. I find it despicable that people who are perfectly capable of caring for their own health just let it all go and accumulate a sickening amount tubbiness that looks like someone shoved 280 lbs. of soggy shit into a human suit. No granted, if you have arthritis or some kind of condition that limits your ability to get some kind of exercise, then whatever. So be it. But the rest of those lazy, flabby fucks should be taxed all the way to hell for being too lazy and worthless to at least walk around a little more.

Hmmm, Dallas and Fort Worth make the fat list while Arlington makes the fit list? For those who don’t know Texas, Dallas and Fort Worth are so close together they’re referred to collectively as DFW. And Arlington sits between them. (They even had a tourism campaign a few years back calling the area “DAFW” - pronounced “Dafwa.”)

Basically, the three form one big urban sprawl. Driving through them, you can’t really tell where one ends and the other begins, unless you read the signs.

Makes me wonder about this list, although I have to agree that San Diego and Colorado Springs (home of T-Nation and Biotest) are damn fit cities.

djoh615893 wrote:
I agree 100% about the “fatass tax”. We tax the shit out of smokers, mostly due to their cost to the health care system. I tell people that we should have a fat tax all the time, but they look at me like i’m a nazi or something. Pudgy slick Willy Clinton wouldn’t pass something like that, but Pres. Bush might.

got_beer?

I see a problem with a) Colorado Springs and b) NYC.

C Springs is an anomaly since it is home to many Olympic athletes - so that would heavily skew the numbers in their favor.

NYC has always been one of the slimmest cities, why the sudden change? NYers, except those in the far reaches, for the most part don’t even own cars! We tend to walk and take public transportation everywhere. There aren’t many fat asses around.

This looks like the precursor to an ad campiagn to me.Something to pique the interest of people reading that mag, and get a fire lit under their asses.I would expecy some kind of follow up to that article soon.
I was also dissapointed to not see Pittsburgh on either list. We have a good mix of pierogie eating fat asses and muscle heads.Probably more of the former than the latter though.

Anyone have any idea of what those lists/surveys are based on exactly? Ive heard that some of the factors are based on the quantity of fast food restaraunts, gyms, and parks that there are per capita. That could explain the issue C.S. brought up about DAFW.

Although it’s possible, I really doubt that those lists are based on actual bodyweights, mass indexes, or bodyfat percentages of people.

I think it would be interesting to see how many of the cities are in red states and how many are in blue states. :smiley:

Seattle is a surprise.

I heard hte way they calculate these numbers is by adding up the number of donut shops and gyms etc. It is really more for fun than anything.

[quote]adamkn wrote:
Anyone have any idea of what those lists/surveys are based on exactly? Ive heard that some of the factors are based on the quantity of fast food restaraunts, gyms, and parks that there are per capita. That could explain the issue C.S. brought up about DAFW.

Although it’s possible, I really doubt that those lists are based on actual bodyweights, mass indexes, or bodyfat percentages of people.[/quote]

Not sure what they are based on, but this Men’s Fitness annual surveys.

Ha, Denver beat San Diego! I guess the mountains and the snow (skiing/snowboards) beat out beach parties and beer.

They obviously missed Canada!

Toronto is the fittest!

Denver is full of fat people, I see them everywhere when I’m down there.

Calgary is the world’s best city when it comes to healthy living, according to an international survey released by a London-based consulting firm.

The report by Mercer Human Resource Consulting put Calgary at the top of a list of 144 cities. It scored 121 points, just above Honolulu’s score of 120.

Helsinki came in fourth with 119.5, followed closely by Ottawa, with 118.5 points.

Three other Canadian cities came in the top 20. Montreal and Vancouver tied for ninth and Toronto came in at 18th.

Oslo, Stockholm, Zurich, Bern and Geneva, and Nurnberg also ranked in the top 20.

The scores are based on air pollution levels, availability and quality of hospitals and medical supplies, as well as the efficiency of waste removal and sewage systems.

“The top cities … have a combination of excellent hospital services and medical supplies and low levels of air pollution and infectious disease,” Slagin Parakatil, Mercer’s senior researcher, said.

“Most of the low-scoring cities are in developing countries which have insufficient resources and infrastructure for good sanitation.”

In America, the lowest scoring city was Atlanta, which came in 76th.

Athens was the lowest scoring city in Western Europe, ranking 120th because of its air pollution. London ranked 59th.

In another survey by Mercer Consulting on the most expensive cities in the world, Ottawa ranked the least expensive Canadian city. It ranked 124th. Toronto moved up to 89th position from 104th in 2002.

“Though still relatively inexpensive, Canadian cities continue to move up in the rankings due to the strength of the Canadian dollar,” it said.

The survey is drafted twice a year and is used primarily to help multinational companies determine pay for expatriate employees.

Toyko and London came in at the top of the list, followed by Moscow in third place. Osaka, Japan and Hong Kong round out the list of the top five.

The most expensive American city is New York, dropping two spots from last year to 12.

We also eat better. I don’t see lots of obese people around my city. If I go downtown Toronto i see it more often. Generally people here are in better shape.

Philadelphia - Philly Cheese Steaks. Thats why they’re #2.

Boston is a huge surprise. Although I guess if the college kids are counted as residents that would greatly increase the fitness levels – a lot of the locals are porkers.

YOu are correct when you say they take into account actual enviromental factors and local businesses.

They take into account how many gyms, how many fast food joints, air quality, local weather patterns, etc instead of taking a cross section of randomly selected people.

“Survey Sources and Methods” on the MF site:

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/305

Matt