T Nation

Fats = Profound Effect On Testosterone/Leaness

I have been cutting hard trying to get down to 7-8% so I ended up eating half of what I do what I bulk 1500 vs 3000

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

and I was retaining water, mental focus and sex drive were fading so I decided to switch to:

100 carbs
200g protein
53g fat (3 tablespoons olive oil)
About 1700 calories

I didn't lose any fullness/energy by dropping carbs 40g, but water retention in the face has disappeared and my mental focus/sex drive is back in full force.

Even though my calories are 300 higher I felt leaner than 3 days ago when I started eating this way.

Does a fat deficiency cause a lot of problems ? I felt fats were the easiest to cut since 200g potatoes fills me up way more than a tablespoon of olive oil.

I doubt I could cut anymore calories without feeling intense hunger 24/7, adding cardio seems like the next step if fat loss stalls.

[quote]TC15 wrote:

Does a fat deficiency cause a lot of problems ? I felt fats were the easiest to cut since 200g potatoes fills me up way more than a tablespoon of olive oil. [/quote]

Yes, a fat deficiency can cause problems but your diet would have to be REALLY low in fat for it to occur, and even a small amount of fish oil or flaxseed oil can prevent this.

[quote]TC15 wrote:
I have been cutting hard trying to get down to 7-8% so I ended up eating half of what I do what I bulk 1500 vs 3000

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

and I was retaining water, mental focus and sex drive were fading so I decided to switch to:

100 carbs
200g protein
About 1700 calories

I didn’t lose any fullness/energy by dropping carbs 40g, but water retention in the face has disappeared and my mental focus/sex drive is back in full force.

Even though my calories are 300 higher I felt leaner than 3 days ago when I started eating this way.

Does a fat deficiency cause a lot of problems ? I felt fats were the easiest to cut since 200g potatoes fills me up way more than a tablespoon of olive oil.

I doubt I could cut anymore calories without feeling intense hunger 24/7, adding cardio seems like the next step if fat loss stalls.

[/quote]

You are having problems because you chose the BAD IDEA of a 50% caloric deficit! This is NOT the way to diet, and 1500 kcals is a starvation level for a physically active person! Sure people have gone down this much for SHORT amounts of time, but there is no way one can tolerate this indefinitely. You’re not going about this the right way.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

100 carbs
200g protein
About 1700 calories

I didn’t lose any fullness/energy by dropping carbs 40g, but water retention in the face has disappeared and my mental focus/sex drive is back in full force.

[/quote]

You are having problems because you chose the BAD IDEA of a 50% caloric deficit! This is NOT the way to diet, and 1500 kcals is a starvation level for a physically active person! Sure people have gone down this much for SHORT amounts of time, but there is no way one can tolerate this indefinitely. You’re not going about this the right way.
[/quote]

50% is the difference between my bulking and cutting calories.

My maintenance 15lb ago was about 2400-2700. So I am guessing its around 2200-2400 now

Assuming a 2300 maintenance eating 1750 cals doesn’t seem out of the question when trying to reach low single digits.

I also have 2 days per week where I eat 2700 calories increasing both fats and carbs.

[quote]TC15 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

100 carbs
200g protein
About 1700 calories

[/quote]

[/quote]

My maintenance 15lb ago was about 2400-2700. So I am guessing its around 2200-2400 now

Assuming a 2300 maintenance eating 1750 cals doesn’t seem out of the question when trying to reach low single digits.

I also have 2 days per week where I eat 2700 calories increasing both fats and carbs.

[/quote]

How did you come up with this difference?

Who knows what they’re doing and uses or recommends a 50% deficit? No one.

But if you want to continue, go ahead.

[quote]TC15 wrote:

[/quote]
Your calories should be based off of your LBM, not total weight. If you’ve done a decent job and lost less than half of that in LBM, then your maintenence calories should have only dropped 750kcal at the most.

If you’ve lost 15lbs of LBM, you need to go back to the drawing board.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

100 carbs
200g protein
About 1700 calories

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But if you want to continue, go ahead. [/quote]

I think you must have misread a part of my post or I may have mistyped something.

But I am not on a 50% deficit, I am on a 550 cal deficit 5 days a week with 2 days where I eat 400 above maintenance all based on a 2300 maintenance calorie level.

[quote]TC15 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TC15 wrote:

My macros were:

140 carbs
200 protein
15 g fat
About 1500 calories

100 carbs
200g protein
About 1700 calories

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But if you want to continue, go ahead. [/quote]

I think you must have misread a part of my post or I may have mistyped something.

But I am not on a 50% deficit, I am on a 550 cal deficit 5 days a week with 2 days where I eat 400 above maintenance all based on a 2300 maintenance calorie level.

[/quote]

Yes, I is confused.

Yeah loads of people benefit from cutting way back on carbs and cranking up their fats…

15g fat in a day… How the f can someone think it’s a good idea…