Fats Only For 2 Weeks

More curious than anything else, but what would be the result of ingesting only healthy fats for a couple of weeks? Coconut oil, red palm oil, and fish oil being the only of the macronutrients. I would still use a fiber supplement and make sure to get my vitamins, just wondering how the body would respond.

Thoughts?

try it and see. report back with your toilet art.

What would you be trying to accomplish?

[quote]anonym wrote:
What would you be trying to accomplish?[/quote]

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from reading these nutrition boards for the past couple of years, it’s that there’s seriously no answer to this question in like 90% of the new diet ideas.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Id hazard a guess.

Maybe he’s trying to force his body into producing more fat burning/digesting enzymes. This could be accomplished with something like the Anabolic diet though.

It really is just a curiosity question. I’m interested in how the body would react if its energy source was only fats.

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
It really is just a curiosity question. I’m interested in how the body would react if its energy source was only fats.[/quote]

Youd live.Youd become dificient in some vitamins and minerals. You would probably be able to maintain muscle just fine but wouldnt be likely to build any. Energy levels would be fine.

Above would likely apply to trying to subsist on any one Macro source entirely.

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
It really is just a curiosity question. I’m interested in how the body would react if its energy source was only fats.[/quote]

Obviously, gene expression for the various enzymes and proteins involved in fat metabolism would be upregulated, more as glycogen levels become depleted and the body shifts to primarily fat oxidation in order to conserve its diminishing glycogen supply.

Gluconeogenesis of amino acids would be present for the first 1 - 3 days, then slow down as the body attempts to conserve its supply for protein recycling. Lipolysis providing NEFA and glycerol will be increased, the glycerol further reducing the need for amino acid oxidation. Your muscles and various tissues will switch over to fat oxidation as the primary metabolic means of energy production in order to further spare glucose. Ketone bodies will become prevalent in circulation as time goes on. Protein catabolism might increase after some time, dependent upon your degree of muscle mass and activity, in order to provide amino acids for the synthesis of vital proteins.

Your shits would be gross at the start. They’d probably be greasy and gross for the entire duration.

An abrupt shift from high carbs to no carbs can likely manifest as brain fog and an inability to concentrate. Energy levels might suffer short-term.

You’d feel lousy overall, nauseous from sipping oils and I can’t imagine you’d want to stick with it for very long.

MODOK would be able to give a better biochem review than this… or, you can dip into a textbook and see for yourself.

[quote]anonym wrote:
MODOK would be able to give a better biochem review than this… or, you can dip into a textbook and see for yourself.[/quote]

OR… you COULD just eat normally.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
MODOK would be able to give a better biochem review than this… or, you can dip into a textbook and see for yourself.[/quote]

OR… you COULD just eat normally.[/quote]

BURN THE HERETIC!!1

[quote]anonym wrote:

Maybe the runs?

Terrible idea!

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

You would probably be able to maintain muscle just fine[/quote]

You effing kidding me? How the hell could you maintain muscle without protein?

JSMaxwell, your idea is retarded.

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

You would probably be able to maintain muscle just fine[/quote]

You effing kidding me? How the hell could you maintain muscle without protein?[/quote]
First, Anonym made a good post that explains it in more detail. Second, its only 2 weeks and the body has other proteins to scavage from the body that is not muscle (how much I couldnt guess)

But theres not a lot of point to debating this topic as Im sure most people agree its not a viable approach for any real goal.