T Nation

Fats + Carbs

Berardi recommends not combining fats & carbs in the same meal. Do you guys actually do this? It can be a pain to try to have fewer than 5 g of fat in some meals and very few carbs in other meals and still get the # of calories I need.

You don't have to restrict as low as 5g. Berardi said in the Carb Roundtable that 10g of fat, and 15g of carbs are the upper limits when restricting a macronutrient. And then some carbs don't really count. Beans, and low GI-fruit & vegetables don't raise blood sugar like other sources of carbs do, so they're okay in P+F meals (in moderation, of course).

It's not as hard as you think, but it does take some getting used to. I almost unconciously eat like this now.

I try to reduce the level of carbs in my P+F meals from about 3pm but I am not to anal about it at the moment. I am bulking though, so I may be eating very differently to you in the first place.

A typical meal in the arvo for me in the arvo/night would have about 50-60 grams protein, 30 grams fat and 15-20 grams carbs.

How many calories do you need?

What do you recommend having olive oil with? I have it with salad but all the other things I like to have it with are high carbs (bread, pasta, baked potato). It's probably not good to have it with those unless it's a very tiny amount (less than 1 tsp.)