T Nation

Fatigue From High Protein/Low Carb?

I have recently went to a high protein,low carb med fat% diet to try and bulk. last couple of days felt weak at the gym,could this possibly be to the low carbs? I get plenty of sleep, and recover every 3 days.

You’re bulking on this? I know it’s certainly possible, and I have done so a bit in the past, but I think keeping healthy carbs (sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole oats and wheat, fruits and veggies) is very helpful in most diets, let alone a bulking diet.

If this is your first low-carb diet, it’s very likely that you’ll feel lethargic, especially for the first week or two.

How low is low? How medium is medium? Can you give a rundown of what you ate yesterday?

give it a couple weeks. try bumping up the fat, increasing vegetable variety.

More fat. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fish Oil are your friends.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
You’re bulking on this? I know it’s certainly possible, and I have done so a bit in the past, but I think keeping healthy carbs (sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole oats and wheat, fruits and veggies) is very helpful in most diets, let alone a bulking diet.

If this is your first low-carb diet, it’s very likely that you’ll feel lethargic, especially for the first week or two.ten

How low is low? How medium is medium? Can you give a rundown of what you ate yesterday?[/quote]
I ate 1 cup of oatmeal 1 banana,1 teaspoon pb,3whole eggs,then 1 cup cottage cheese,1 can tuna 2 turkey paties,then two more turkey patties can of tuna ,cup of veggies, 3 pieces of cheese, and 2 glasses of red wine.

[quote]dougefresh wrote:
I have recently went to a high protein,low carb med fat% diet to try and bulk. last couple of days felt weak at the gym,could this possibly be to the low carbs? I get plenty of sleep, and recover every 3 days.[/quote]

Yes. Its because of the low carbs. If you’re bulking you need carbs before, during and after your workout.

Slowly absorbed carbs 1 and 1/2 hours before with some slowly absorbed protein. eg Chicken sandwich made with wholewheat bread. To give you energy going into the workout.

Faster digesting carbs and protein sipped during the workout. Whey and Maltodextrin blend. To help you recover quicker from the workout and give you a burst of energy.

Fast digesting carbs and protein drunk immediately after your last set. Gets your insulin to spike and rush carbs and protein into your muscles.

Ratios of protein to carb depend on how many carbs you want. You have to experiment. See what works for you.

Breakfast should also include some carbs. Your muscles will absorb that straight away as you’ll have been fasted all night.

You need carbs to recover more quickly. Quicker recovery equals more intense workouts which equals quicker growth.

[quote]Trapasaurus wrote:
dougefresh wrote:
I have recently went to a high protein,low carb med fat% diet to try and bulk. last couple of days felt weak at the gym,could this possibly be to the low carbs? I get plenty of sleep, and recover every 3 days.

Yes. Its because of the low carbs. If you’re bulking you need carbs before, during and after your workout.

Slowly absorbed carbs 1 and 1/2 hours before with some slowly absorbed protein. eg Chicken sandwich made with wholewheat bread. To give you energy going into the workout.

Faster digesting carbs and protein sipped during the workout. Whey and Maltodextrin blend. To help you recover quicker from the workout and give you a burst of energy.

Fast digesting carbs and protein drunk immediately after your last set. Gets your insulin to spike and rush carbs and protein into your muscles.

Ratios of protein to carb depend on how many carbs you want. You have to experiment. See what works for you.

Breakfast should also include some carbs. Your muscles will absorb that straight away as you’ll have been fasted all night.

You need carbs to recover more quickly. Quicker recovery equals more intense workouts which equals quicker growth.

[/quote]
thanks thats what i thought.but with carbs i feel bloated.

I always thought a low-carb diet was intended for cutting, not bulking. Is that correct?

Look into the Anabolic Diet.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I always thought a low-carb diet was intended for cutting, not bulking. Is that correct?[/quote]

Can be used for both. (very lean gains if you’re bulking)

As far as the OP, maybe low carb isn’t for you? Your body chem might not prefer it.

Im on a low carb, high fat and protein diet. For the first few days I was getting head aches due to the lack of carbs. But after little less than week I have a good amount of energy and my lifts are either improving or remaining the same. Just make sure you eat every 3 hours and up the calories.

But this diet isn’t for everyone, when I was about 15 years old I was on this diet for a year and a half. So it is pretty easy for my body to adapt.

[quote]rlomeli wrote:
Im on a low carb, high fat and protein diet. For the first few days I was getting head aches due to the lack of carbs. But after little less than week I have a good amount of energy and my lifts are either improving or remaining the same. Just make sure you eat every 3 hours and up the calories. But this diet isn’t for everyone, when I was about 15 years old I was on this diet for a year and a half. So it is pretty easy for my body to adapt.

[/quote] Iam trying to eventually compete in bb, do you think this is the right approach to my diet? should I stick with it.

Well I never competed yet to I cannot give too much advice on competing. But I plan to compete next december… from my knowledge this diet is great if you want to sculpt your body after doing a mass phase. This diet is good after you have reached a point that you have added a lot of mass to your frame.

Once you added a good amount of mass, I would I use this diet to shred the fat and water weight. For example, I went from 175 to 205 since September. Now since I added a good amount of muscle Im trying to cut down below 180.

A lot of people are going to have different opinions, but this is what have been working for me for some time. Good luck PM if you have anymore question.