T Nation

Fatigue During Workout

So I started lifting on Thursday last week and I found that I could lift pretty well or at least respectable beginner weights any way but I get burned out quickly. By that I mean a weight that I can easily do 8 reps with becomes too heavy for the next set.

Eg.) Squats

warm up:
8 X 75 seemed really easy
6 X 130 still easy so I just stopped and upped the weight
6 X 155 getting there but still felt light

I took a guess because I didn’t want to burn all my energy warming up so I went to 185 and started my 5 X 5

5 X 185 good ATG Squat felt awesome and I was happy
5 X 185 barely made it but all were good form
4 X 170

I dropped the weight because I knew I wouldn’t make another 5 but I couldn’t hold form on the 4th rep I felt my back arch a little to allow my hips to rise enough for me to stand.

My question is : Is this normal for a beginner being that my muscles aren’t conditioned yet? Or did I do too much warm up? I have never been a stamina type, always more strong and fast. I tried to limit rests to 120 seconds. Should I give myself a little more time or is this not something to be concerned with yet since I am just starting?

Thanks

Glad someone brought this up… do you happen to be tall? over 6 ft? Cuz the squats just destroy me cardiovascularly… way before muscle failure. And I find myself just sucking down oxygen like crazy waiting more than 2 mins because im so out of breath… The third set is brutal… Then after that deadlifts? Forget bench pressing that day. It’s just too much. So I bench press like minus 50 pounds.

I sigh and see short people who basically start out in a half-squat. They move the weight a 1-2 ft while im dropping the bar down 3 feet, and then coming all the way up, 3 feet. Racking it on the 2nd highest peg Then they wonder why im gasping for breath all the time. It’s ridiculous. Then you try to train for endurance so yer in shape, and you lose leg strength.

If you’re short and have a large ROM due to above avg flexibility, that’s probably same deal. W = Fd. I think just forget the third set and do 2 sets until your endurance is high enough. I’ve never been a 3-set kinda guy ever, no matter how much shape i was in.

You’re just starting. Your body and CNS are not yet conditioned so you lack a great work capacity. Stay with it and give it time - it will improve.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
You’re just starting. Your body and CNS are not yet conditioned so you lack a great work capacity. Stay with it and give it time - it will improve.[/quote]

Yep! Keep squating, and don’t worry about it.

I like to do more bodyweight mobility stuff before I get under the bar. The drills in this article are a great start:

I think your warm up is a bit intensive, but that’s me. And it largely depends on how much time you take between those warm up sets.

Here’s what I do:
2x5xbar (45lbs)
1x5x95
1x3x135
1x2x185
3x5x225 (work sets)

The real question is are you beating your log book each week? If not, then maybe something needs to change. If you are beating your numbers each week, then don’t worry about it and keep doing what you doing.

That was today’s training. If I’m going heavier than 225, I might do a single at 225 as well, them move to work sets.

What Noodle_Arms said – in a couple months you’ll have to push yourself to break a sweat.

[quote]beeph wrote:
Glad someone brought this up… do you happen to be tall? over 6 ft? Cuz the squats just destroy me cardiovascularly… way before muscle failure.

And I find myself just sucking down oxygen like crazy waiting more than 2 mins because im so out of breath… The third set is brutal… Then after that deadlifts? Forget bench pressing that day. It’s just too much. So I bench press like minus 50 pounds.

I sigh and see short people who basically start out in a half-squat. They move the weight a 1-2 ft while im dropping the bar down 3 feet, and then coming all the way up, 3 feet.

Racking it on the 2nd highest peg Then they wonder why im gasping for breath all the time. It’s ridiculous. Then you try to train for endurance so yer in shape, and you lose leg strength.

If you’re short and have a large ROM due to above avg flexibility, that’s probably same deal. W = Fd. I think just forget the third set and do 2 sets until your endurance is high enough. I’ve never been a 3-set kinda guy ever, no matter how much shape i was in.
[/quote]

I have the same problem being a taller guy - my muscles don’t burn out for squats at all, it’s much more my cardiovascular system. I do about 5 different exercises on leg day but I drink more water during squats than on all the other exercises combined.

It’s also why I do them first, because I want to be able to put maximum effort into them and I know I wont be able to if I tire myself out with other stuff beforehand.

I go through 3 sets anyways, even if I have to rest a few seconds between reps.

As has been said, keep working at it, your CNS will develop efficiency to deal with the new workload that you are asking of it.

Make sure that your nutrition is on point, especially something easily digested and full of protein and energy 1.5 - 2 hours prior to your workout.

Also, try doing active recovery techniques between sets, jog up hill for a minute, box, row etc, rather than standing around sucking wind. You may feel more fatigued for the first few days, but you will start to notice that your CV endurance goes up, and time to resting heart rate goes down after a few weeks, leaving you with more energy for those later sets.

Weight lifting is, at it’s simplest all about forcing adaptation. If you could nail every rep and every set with 100% precision right from the start, you wouldn’t be growing.

Awesome, all makes sense.
Thanks everyone.