T Nation

Fatigue and Sickness in Workout


#1

Hi so I am 17 and on my own programming for powerlifting, I'm getting into the hardest part of linear training and I need some advice, so I'm feeling sick and exhausted in my training I am on 3x5 and I only got 3 reps in my last set, I take pre workout and amino, should I maybe cut the supps? I have been cycling them correctly but I am a complete novice and have no idea what's causing this. any advice would be great. Thanks guys!


#2

People are going to disagree with me but supplements are generally a waste of money. So take that however you would like.

The real question is, why are you fatigued and sick? What does your current program look like? Where you honest with yourself when you plugged numbers into the program?


#3

a) get off your own programming. Get on a proven program like 5/3/1. 5/3/1 allows for deloading to prevent adrenal fatigue.

b) At 17 years old, I see no reason for you to be relying on a pre-workout. Quit using that for every workout. Maybe once a week, if that. Also, pre workouts can make some people feel sick. Stick to a quality protein supplement like Plazma for your workouts. It will benefit you more than a caffeine- based pre-workout.

c) what do you mean by ‘cycling’ you supps? What supplement needs to be cycled?


#4

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
c) what do you mean by ‘cycling’ you supps? What supplement needs to be cycled?[/quote]

When I was in high school I read that creatine should be cycled since natural production goes down when taking an external source. I haven’t done any research to see if this can be validated since I haven’t taken it in a long time.


#5

Probably making the same mistake every other 17 year old makes: not eating enough. Also, IF your program is any good, you probably need a deload.

Not gonna tell you what to do, but if I was 17 again, I’d get on stronglifts or madcow 5x5 or a good, proven program for novices, and would blow all my money on food instead of supplements.


#6

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
c) what do you mean by ‘cycling’ you supps? What supplement needs to be cycled?[/quote]

When I was in high school I read that creatine should be cycled since natural production goes down when taking an external source. I haven’t done any research to see if this can be validated since I haven’t taken it in a long time.[/quote]

nope. we get most of our creatine from our diet anyway. if you eat red meat regularly, you’re getting it from an ‘external source’. Most of us eat red meat. creatine should be taken everyday for life, by everyone, in my opinion.


#7

[quote]Haldor wrote:
Probably making the same mistake every other 17 year old makes: not eating enough. Also, IF your program is any good, you probably need a deload.

Not gonna tell you what to do, but if I was 17 again, I’d get on stronglifts or madcow 5x5 or a good, proven program for novices, and would blow all my money on food instead of supplements.[/quote]

Yup, I would do the same. Eat, sleep, lift.


#8

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
a) get off your own programming. Get on a proven program like 5/3/1. 5/3/1 allows for deloading to prevent adrenal fatigue.

b) At 17 years old, I see no reason for you to be relying on a pre-workout. Quit using that for every workout. Maybe once a week, if that. Also, pre workouts can make some people feel sick. Stick to a quality protein supplement like Plazma for your workouts. It will benefit you more than a caffeine- based pre-workout.

c) what do you mean by ‘cycling’ you supps? What supplement needs to be cycled?[/quote]

What he said. Also about the creatine, just keep taking it.


#9

I’ve had the same problem in the past, what helped for me was not eating anything atleast 2 hours before my workout, also drink your BCAA’s afterwards, and only consume water before and during your workout (not too much though, which could also make you sick).

Hope that helps.


#10

[quote]Odin338 wrote:
I’ve had the same problem in the past, what helped for me was not eating anything atleast 2 hours before my workout, also drink your BCAA’s afterwards, and only consume water before and during your workout (not too much though, which could also make you sick).

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Very good point now you mention it. I have a similar two hour rule, although I can cut it down to an hour and a half or so.

BCAAs I have during training, I usually go through two serves per session drinking little sips. Then sometimes another serve later in the day.


#11

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Very good point now you mention it. I have a similar two hour rule, although I can cut it down to an hour and a half or so.

BCAAs I have during training, I usually go through two serves per session drinking little sips. Then sometimes another serve later in the day. [/quote]

For myself, i’ve noticed that drinking anything “sweet” just makes it easier to get nauseous during a workout, however that may not be a problem for everyone.

If possible workout in a very well ventilated room, or with fresh air, this will work wonders too.


#12

I’ve completely cut out all the supps apart from the basic protein and started eating 6 meals throughout the day and getting a lot of sleep, I have a coach who does my programming rather than me doing my own. Training has really started improving and although my linear progression has started to slow it is normally taking 2 workouts to increase 2.5 kg each lift but hopefully my training will continue as I get a few bits of equipment