Fatass or Genius?

http://dove.msn.com/?source=msnhp#/connections/columns/0408_BQ_Response_Athena.aspx[cp-documentid=22996572]/?gt1=25039

Sounds to me like she has a gene of retarded.

lady at the gym just asked me how to use a tv remote.

“you just point it at them?”

“yes”

“and just punch it in?”

“yes”

stares

“…okay…”

It seems that the whole vegetarian diet for body composition and health movement is one of the most damaging trends to young females today. I work with a large amount of 17-22 year old girls, and more than half of them have some degree of anemia. Not to mention they are either way underweight, or overweight with below average muscle mass. All of them have problems with energy and have various degrees of mood swings, which I know can be a result of their cycles, but shouldn’t be an excuse to let it run rampant.

Almost every day they ask me about diet advice. I used to tell them in depth of what to do but honestly now, I just tell them to follow the government food guide. It’s not even close to optimal, but compared to what they are doing now…

If they seriously just made sure to get ~80g of protein a day, which is absolutely nothing, they would feel so much better. I don’t even care if its 80g of soy nuts and tofu.

I’m sorry but I need help with what exactly was wrong. I’m not being saracastic, I saw an article about a woman who was overweight after having a baby and one of her daughters truning vegan.
Not a smart thing, but I think I missed something.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
It seems that the whole vegetarian diet for body composition and health movement is one of the most damaging trends to young females today. I work with a large amount of 17-22 year old girls, and more than half of them have some degree of anemia. Not to mention they are either way underweight, or overweight with below average muscle mass. All of them have problems with energy and have various degrees of mood swings, which I know can be a result of their cycles, but shouldn’t be an excuse to let it run rampant.

Almost every day they ask me about diet advice. I used to tell them in depth of what to do but honestly now, I just tell them to follow the government food guide. It’s not even close to optimal, but compared to what they are doing now…

If they seriously just made sure to get ~80g of protein a day, which is absolutely nothing, they would feel so much better. I don’t even care if its 80g of soy nuts and tofu.[/quote]

I would go as far as to say women in general are “food ignorant”. I had one of the assistants at work make a HUGE issue about the amount of fluid I was drinking as if it would kill me. She was referring to the half gallon of MAG-10 I was drinking throughout the day. You see, because I am trying to build or maintain muscle, this automatically made how I eat “bad” in their minds. She literally asked, “is drinking that much water healthy”…in a tone signifying she thought it wasn’t.

You see, half a gallon of water = bad…if you are trying to build muscle.

Me eating the literal same meal for lunch 99% of the time of 1lb steak+rice+vegetables = bad…because I’m really muscular.

Mind you, these are the same women who literally made a habit of going out once a week for PIE and who bring so many baked goods to work that you would think the break room was the storage room at Dunkin Donuts.

These same women fasted all of last week because they all got fat over the holidays.

But me…the guy who has the same meal everyday is the one who is eating so unhealthy they need to basically have an intervention.

This right here is why I try to avoid even discussing how to eat when in a group of women.

They are now into a routine of missing lunch completely (no solid food at all) but drinking pureed fruit as their meal everyday…BECAUSE OF HOW HEALTHY THAT IS.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m sorry but I need help with what exactly was wrong. I’m not being saracastic, I saw an article about a woman who was overweight after having a baby and one of her daughters truning vegan.
Not a smart thing, but I think I missed something.[/quote]

I don’t get it either. Granted a vegan diet is not the smartest thing for anyone, but it’s a whole lot better than a diet of fast food. Of course some education regarding food choices would have been optimal for all involved, but that is not the point of the story.

I have a 15 year old daughter and I understand where the mother is coming from regarding “diets”. The last thing you want your daughter to see is for you as a mother doing some crazy yo-yo scheme every month. The strongest influence on a child is the same sex parent and as much as they might want to be different from you, they WILL follow your lead when it comes to lifestyle choices like food and exercise. The example the women set by running daily and at least trying to provide healthy food for her daughters is way better than what many parents do.

At my house we eat meat and I make sure the fridge is full of good stuff, like milk, eggs, veggies and fruits. Lunches are not some crappy deli meat sandwiches and fruit roll-ups or snack sized pudding containers. My girl just started olympic lifting with me and she loves it. These are the examples that I set for her because it works for me. The woman in the story, even though it’s not the most optimal plan, is at the very least trying to set a good example for her kids in a way that works for her.

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I don’t get it either. Granted a vegan diet is not the smartest thing for anyone, but it’s a whole lot better than a diet of fast food. Of course some education regarding food choices would have been optimal for all involved, but that is not the point of the story.

I have a 15 year old daughter and I understand where the mother is coming from regarding “diets”. The last thing you want your daughter to see is for you as a mother doing some crazy yo-yo scheme every month. The strongest influence on a child is the same sex parent and as much as they might want to be different from you, they WILL follow your lead when it comes to lifestyle choices like food and exercise. The example the women set by running daily and at least trying to provide healthy food for her daughters is way better than what many parents do.

At my house we eat meat and I make sure the fridge is full of good stuff, like milk, eggs, veggies and fruits. Lunches are not some crappy deli meat sandwiches and fruit roll-ups or snack sized pudding containers. My girl just started olympic lifting with me and she loves it. These are the examples that I set for her because it works for me. The woman in the story, even though it’s not the most optimal plan, is at the very least trying to set a good example for her kids in a way that works for her.[/quote]

…and that isn’t what we are knocking. That lifestyle may actually fit for some people…but I don’t really understand why “dieting” is seen in a light where some think it means you do some crazy eating scheme for 3 weeks until you get magically skinny. It seems she has narrowed her options down to “go on fad diet” or “become vegan” as her only choices for not being a sedentary fat ass.

And I think we all know the outcome…tons of women reading that little article and even more people suddenly eating nothing but vegetables.

I see patients everyday with diabetes. These people are MORBIDLY obese yet many of them claim diets that are vegetarian since they were diagnosed with it. They are still fat even after being vegan for years mostly because “vegan” somehow turns into “eat nothing but carbs and avoid the harmful MEAT”.

I didn’t get the link, just an ad for Dove products.

At least one woman in my life isn’t food ignorant. The GM of the company I work for. She stops in the lunch room a couple times a week and takes a look at what is being consumed. The other guys usually have chicken nuggets or some other so-so if not just plain bad food choices for lunch. She get to mine and proclaims- “Thank God! At least one of you eats like a man!”.

She’s in her mid-fifties and is in significantly better shape than most women without regard to age, keeps fish oil capsules in the break room fridge, and is generally as sharp as they come.

Last week she gave everybody a bunch of free passes to the new LA Fitness.

I do understand completely that she is the exception though, and not the rule.

[quote]dianab wrote:

At my house we eat meat and I make sure the fridge is full of good stuff, like milk, eggs, veggies and fruits. Lunches are not some crappy deli meat sandwiches and fruit roll-ups or snack sized pudding containers. My girl just started olympic lifting with me and she loves it. These are the examples that I set for her because it works for me. The woman in the story, even though it’s not the most optimal plan, is at the very least trying to set a good example for her kids in a way that works for her.[/quote]

Being a parent someday scares me because of this. I know how to prepare about 2 or 3 meals. I do more housework and cooking than my GF. I don’t want to eat something out of a box every night, and I sure as hell don’t want my kids following that example. I guess it just comes down to getting used to setting aside time to prepare meals and read recipes so that transfers over to when I have a family.

And I have GOT to stop playing so many goddam videogames. I’m glued to the screen everyday.

Well shit I guess there’s no time like the present.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

…and that isn’t what we are knocking. That lifestyle may actually fit for some people…but I don’t really understand why “dieting” is seen in a light where some think it means you do some crazy eating scheme for 3 weeks until you get magically skinny. It seems she has narrowed her options down to “go on fad diet” or “become vegan” as her only choices for not being a sedentary fat ass.

And I think we all know the outcome…tons of women reading that little article and even more people suddenly eating nothing but vegetables.

I see patients everyday with diabetes. These people are MORBIDLY obese yet many of them claim diets that are vegetarian since they were diagnosed with it. They are still fat even after being vegan for years mostly because “vegan” somehow turns into “eat nothing but carbs and avoid the harmful MEAT”.[/quote]

Ahh…I see. From an editorial standpoint its interesting how you both interpreted the article (both interpretation which are valid imo).

At any rate, its a badly written piece - maybe the weekend producer was making himself a sammich in the break room when this column got posted.

Quick question: When did the “meat is bad and unhealthy” trend start?

EDIT: Don’t want to get too much off-topic but PETA has a special site dedicated exclusively to get children to become vegetarians: http://www.vegkids.com

I had a grilled cheese sandwich for breafast this morning.

[quote]schultzie wrote:

If they seriously just made sure to get ~80g of protein a day, which is absolutely nothing, they would feel so much better. I don’t even care if its 80g of soy nuts and tofu.[/quote]

I would go as far as to say women in general are “food ignorant”. I had one of the assistants at work make a HUGE issue about the amount of fluid I was drinking as if it would kill me. She was referring to the half gallon of MAG-10 I was drinking throughout the day. You see, because I am trying to build or maintain muscle, this automatically made how I eat “bad” in their minds. She literally asked, “is drinking that much water healthy”…in a tone signifying she thought it wasn’t.

Me eating the literal same meal for lunch 99% of the time of 1lb steak+rice+vegetables = bad…because I’m really muscular.

Mind you, these are the same women who literally made a habit of going out once a week for PIE and who bring so many baked goods to work that you would think the break room was the storage room at Dunkin Donuts.

These same women fasted all of last week because they all got fat over the holidays.

But me…the guy who has the same meal everyday is the one who is eating so unhealthy they need to basically have an intervention.

This right here is why I try to avoid even discussing how to eat when in a group of women.

They are now into a routine of missing lunch completely (no solid food at all) but drinking pureed fruit as their meal everyday…BECAUSE OF HOW HEALTHY THAT IS.[/quote]

You type it here oftent, but do you reply “You know I’m a DOCTOR, right?”

[quote]Geddan wrote:
Quick question: When did the “meat is bad and unhealthy” trend start?

EDIT: Don’t want to get too much off-topic but PETA has a special site dedicated exclusively to get children to become vegetarians: http://www.vegkids.com [/quote]

from the PETA article: “Second, itâ??s not good for you and your family to eat meat: Eating meat causes cancer, heart disease, and strokes.”

kids are way too susceptible to this shit at an early age. this is how we end up with vegans and christians.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]schultzie wrote:

They are now into a routine of missing lunch completely (no solid food at all) but drinking pureed fruit as their meal everyday…BECAUSE OF HOW HEALTHY THAT IS.[/quote]

You type it here oftent, but do you reply “You know I’m a DOCTOR, right?”[/quote]

I did last week because it finally reached a point where I needed to set a boundary. They aren’t even polite about it. They are intrusive as far as their concern about what I eat all day long. Before I was using MAG-10, I was still drinking 3-4 protein shakes during the day…but now the fact that I am drinking a half gallon of water over EIGHT HOURS at work inspires them to keep worrying about everything I do in the kitchen.

The thing is, guys don’t act like that. They may ask a question here and there, but these people act like it is their duty to change me in some way.

They were convinced the fish oil caps I was eating all day long were unhealthy as well.

In general, women are so turned around due to their own self image and what they think society wants that even discussing these issues with most of them is pointless. They won’t believe it unless Oprah says it.

They won’t believe it unless Oprah says it.[/quote]

But, Oprah is a god.

I see patients everyday with diabetes. These people are MORBIDLY obese yet many of them claim diets that are vegetarian since they were diagnosed with it. They are still fat even after being vegan for years mostly because “vegan” somehow turns into “eat nothing but carbs and avoid the harmful MEAT”.[/quote]

It’s the media IMO, that has made dieting into stupidity. I know what you are saying, and we all know that everyone wants a magic solution, whether it’s pills or fad diets. My kid has friends that are “vegetarians” and she has told me she feels that a few of them are eating that way for the attention, and to piss off their parents.

I would hope that people who read the article understand that it’s more about setting an example and not being overly critical of your kids when it comes to body image and trying to create an home environment that is healthy and positive. But I’m sure some will take it as “not eating meat will make me skinny”. Because being rail thin is what the media tell us we should be in order to be attractive and successful.

To me, this woman was essentially saying that you either eat whatever you want or you have an eating disorder. Aside from the title, there was no mention of moderation. She talked about being a role-model and yet stuffed her face with baked goods. Ignorance is one thing, but a columnist extolling the virtues of pleasure-eating must have, as the OP so eloquently states, “a gene of retarded.”

[quote]wfifer wrote:
To me, this woman was essentially saying that you either eat whatever you want or you have an eating disorder. Aside from the title, there was no mention of moderation. She talked about being a role-model and yet stuffed her face with baked goods. Ignorance is one thing, but a columnist extolling the virtues of pleasure-eating must have, as the OP so eloquently states, “a gene of retarded.”[/quote]

That’s more or less what I got out of the article as well.

People are just fucking retarded, blind (inentionally) and [blissfully] ignorant. It’s their way of coping with life as undisciplined, lazy individuals. If they admitted their lifestyles were unhealthy, it would be an admission of weakness.

So it’s easier to pretend what they are doing is healthy, and in their best interest. And anybody opposing or threatening that perception must be crazy, obssessed, narcissistic, shallow, stupid, etc etc.

Oh the tragedy. At least it makes all of us look that much more sexy.

I certainly know more women who are cardio and carb crazy (vegatarian and vegan).
Literally no weights and all cardio… Did somebody say “recipie for disaster”?

Quote from a women friend “workout completed, now time to bake cookies”

Give me a frikin break…

The women who can squat at least 135 I go after right away… Usually they are the babes of the gym…