Fat Tire

I love fat tire. If I can’t get Fat Tire I’ll drink Newcastle on Tap.

Out here in SoCal there are some good micro’s, Stone is always good, and there is a place in Corona, the Main Street Brewery, which shares a building with Lamppost Pizza…man oh man that’s an easy 3-4% body fat increase weekend right there.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Fat Tire has not been a Colorado delicacy until this year; it has been in the Mountain West for several years. I started seeing it in MT in the late 90’s I believe. Pretty tasty.

The New Belgium brewery story is that in 1992 it started out in a garage. Quite the great American success story.

If you like FT then you’ll like Alaskan Amber out of Juneau or Bayern Amber out of Missoula. However the Bayern brews are only sold in Montana.[/quote]

I’ll second that. Alaskan Amber is a great beer.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
All of the sudden, Fat Tire is the trendy beer out her in Socal. It’s a great beer, definitely. But why the heck is it blowing up out here lately?

It used to be the secret beer that my GF and I could bring to parties and surprise everyone with. Now, all the yuppies have a 12 pack under their arm when they arrive.

What gives?

One thing is certain though, it’s an awesome beer. Now that Costco has it at 25 bucks a case it’s a permanent fixture in my fridge. Go getcha some if you haven’t had it, might not change your life but it sure is tasty…

B.

[/quote]

I hear you Man, its really annoying. I live in socal too, you know that once Albertson’s or Vons starts selling a beer that its no longer your secret beer.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I wonder how good a beer named “Piss in a Bottle” would sell. I’m not knocking beer, just the funny names that they make up for them. Beer is good. [/quote]

Never happen. If it would, Budweiser already holds the patent as I’m sure that’s what “Budweiser” means in Swahili.

Fat Tire is good, though. A college buddy of mine brought some back when he lived in CO for a while. Good stuff. We can’t get it here in SC, though.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:

MMMMMMMM Abita.[/quote]

BigRagoo,

Abita must have improved since '93, then. I was in New Orleans and tried “Abita Gold” and “Turbo Dog” and thought they both tasted like week old bulldog piss (of course, I still thought it was cool that the bars were serving me at 18 yrs old). I believe they were fairly new at the time, though.

Does seem like Fat Tire has been around and popular here (Fort Worth) for a few years at the least. I know I’ve had it at several bars anyway. A tasty beer, but not for the price.

[quote]mica617 wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

MMMMMMMM Abita.

BigRagoo,

Abita must have improved since '93, then. I was in New Orleans and tried “Abita Gold” and “Turbo Dog” and thought they both tasted like week old bulldog piss (of course, I still thought it was cool that the bars were serving me at 18 yrs old). I believe they were fairly new at the time, though.

[/quote]

Duh, TurboDog is swamp water in a bottle. It’s like a root beer flavored beer. I can’t drink it or Purple Haze. But, the Amber, Andygator, Light, and Fall fest are, for sure, winners. I’m waiting on the Christmas Brew to hit the stores.

I never had the Gold…in fact I can’t remember seeing it. I think the Turbo Dog is supposed to be like Guinness, but I don’t like it.

I know this thread is about Fat Tire beer, but has anyone tried Hoegaarden? That is my beer of choice right now.

Fattire is fine for a light beer but for some real taste I perfer Stone PA, IPA, and there Arogant Bastard!

[quote]caladin wrote:
Fattire is fine for a light beer but for some real taste I perfer Stone PA, IPA, and there Arogant Bastard![/quote]

You like the IPA? I see it at my grocer, but have yet to try it.

[quote]caladin wrote:
Fattire is fine for a light beer but for some real taste I perfer Stone PA, IPA, and there Arogant Bastard![/quote]

Yeah those are the local goods for sure. Very good stuff. But everybody already knows those brews. Not long ago people would ask “What is this Fat Tire you speak of?” Nowadays it sits in Costco right next to 30 packs of Coors Light. Gone is the mystique.

B.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Off topic somewhat but there is a Seattle area microbrewery that puts out a very hoppy 12 - 14% alcohol content beer that is the tastiest I’ve ever had but have forgotten the name. Anybody know it? [/quote]

Yeah push I’m all over it. That 14% stuff is called “knockyouonyourassabunch”

Their dark is “shut cho mouth”

And the light is “she was skanky when I walked in here but now she’s jenna jamison… light”

14% beer? Are you kidding me? Is that like the highest alcohol content a beer can have?

B.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
OneEye wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).

I am pretty sure it’s from Colorado. It’s been big with the hippies for years. I can’t remember if I’ve even ever tried it.

The brand-du-jour out here on the east coast is ‘Dogfish Head.’ It’s damn good, I got to check out the brewery last summer.

I tried their 60-minute IPA and didn’t really care for it. I couldn’t bring myself to pay $10 for a 6 pack of another type from them. I drank Ipswich a lot while I lived in Boston and could get it.

Sir,

We have very little in common when it comes to beer I’m afraid. I honestly feel that the 60min IPA is the greatest beer that exists.

I will try the Ipswich even though we may have very different tastes… If the Whole Foods has it anyway.

Do you normally prefer very hoppy beers? I do, and that 60 min is pretty darn hopped.[/quote]

I like hoppy, it was something else about that beer that turned me off from it. I don’t know what, just an odd taste.

Ipswich may not be available outside of MA, I’m not sure. Their IPA is very nice, but their Original Ale takes the cake, IMO. All of their ales are bottle-conditioned, which is nice. I used to get it on tap at Bukowski’s in Boston. I have yet to find a beer here to replace it as my stand-by.

Rogue Dead Guy is good (used to drink it when I went to the Other Side Cafe in Boston), but I can’t find it in 6 packs here, only single 22 oz bottles or whatever size it is, and it’s $5 each. I’ve been drinking Breckenridge PA from Colorado but it’s getting old quick.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
ghump wrote:
What a great beer! I live in Louisiana and for some reason we don’t get Fat Tire. One local sandwich shop gets it, but the bastard charges $19 a six pack. I tried it about 3 years ago on tap at a restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas and I was hooked.

Are you kidding? He should be shot. Fat Tire is a nice beer, but I couldn’t imagine paying that much for anything but Duvel. I can get Fat Tire for like $8 per 6 pack here.[/quote]

I know. I almost have to pay $1.50 for a Duvel, and the cheapskates will only give me 10c on the empties…

As for the discussion about strong beers, I don’t think we have anything here that goes above 12%, although the Austrian Samichlaus claims 14%.I ma no fan of the megastrong beers, as I prefer quantity, but try a “Rochefort 10” for a real drinking pleasure. It comes in at about 11.5% and is worth every drop.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Off topic somewhat but there is a Seattle area microbrewery that puts out a very hoppy 12 - 14% alcohol content beer that is the tastiest I’ve ever had but have forgotten the name. Anybody know it? [/quote]

Is it the Pike Place IPA, maybe? Haven’t been able to get that for years now but I used to love it.

I drink Red Hook IPA now and it comes from Seattle too. It’s pretty good and I can always find it here.

The New Belgium Loft was real hoppy, best “lite” beer I’ve ever had. The new seasonal 2Below is extra hoppy, closest thing New Belgium makes to an IPA style.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Sweet Jesus! 14%?!!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).

Oh shit dude, I just read you are from Wisconsin. You don’t need no stinkin fat tire. You’re in the beer Mecca for godsakes. Two faves from Wis are Capital Brewery and New Glarus Brewery.

Ever had Spotted Cow? They stopped shipping it to Illinois around the time I lived there. It was a sad time.

[/quote]

Yeah, the Spotted Cow is some tasty stuff. I was born in Chippewa Falls which is the home of Leinenkugel’s so I tend to be a loyal drinker.