Fat Tire

All of the sudden, Fat Tire is the trendy beer out her in Socal. It’s a great beer, definitely. But why the heck is it blowing up out here lately?

It used to be the secret beer that my GF and I could bring to parties and surprise everyone with. Now, all the yuppies have a 12 pack under their arm when they arrive.

What gives?

One thing is certain though, it’s an awesome beer. Now that Costco has it at 25 bucks a case it’s a permanent fixture in my fridge. Go getcha some if you haven’t had it, might not change your life but it sure is tasty…

B.

What a great beer! I live in Louisiana and for some reason we don’t get Fat Tire. One local sandwich shop gets it, but the bastard charges $19 a six pack. I tried it about 3 years ago on tap at a restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas and I was hooked.

It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).

[quote]ghump wrote:
What a great beer! I live in Louisiana and for some reason we don’t get Fat Tire. One local sandwich shop gets it, but the bastard charges $19 a six pack. I tried it about 3 years ago on tap at a restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas and I was hooked. [/quote]

Are you kidding? He should be shot. Fat Tire is a nice beer, but I couldn’t imagine paying that much for anything but Duvel. I can get Fat Tire for like $8 per 6 pack here.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).[/quote]

I am pretty sure it’s from Colorado. It’s been big with the hippies for years. I can’t remember if I’ve even ever tried it.

The brand-du-jour out here on the east coast is ‘Dogfish Head.’ It’s damn good, I got to check out the brewery last summer.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).[/quote]

Oh shit dude, I just read you are from Wisconsin. You don’t need no stinkin fat tire. You’re in the beer Mecca for godsakes. Two faves from Wis are Capital Brewery and New Glarus Brewery.

Ever had Spotted Cow? They stopped shipping it to Illinois around the time I lived there. It was a sad time.

I believe it’s made in Colorado. Can’t get it in Oklahoma either. New Belgium Brewing won’t ship it her because the liquor stores can’t keep it at 38 degrees.

[quote]ghump wrote:
What a great beer! I live in Louisiana and for some reason we don’t get Fat Tire. One local sandwich shop gets it, but the bastard charges $19 a six pack. I tried it about 3 years ago on tap at a restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas and I was hooked. [/quote]

Cause we don’t need it?

Fat tire’s alright but we have Shiner beer right next door from Texas and Abita beer in state.

We’re pretty well set.

Yeah it’s brewed in Colorado. My GF turned me on to it when we first got together. Up until this year it’s strictly been a Colorado delicacy, but now it’s all over So-Cal. Like I said, it might not change your life, but it’s definitely tasty stuff.

B.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
ghump wrote:
What a great beer! I live in Louisiana and for some reason we don’t get Fat Tire. One local sandwich shop gets it, but the bastard charges $19 a six pack. I tried it about 3 years ago on tap at a restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas and I was hooked.

Are you kidding? He should be shot. Fat Tire is a nice beer, but I couldn’t imagine paying that much for anything but Duvel. I can get Fat Tire for like $8 per 6 pack here.[/quote]

I can get it for free, a buddy of mine works at the brewery. Fat’s good, but I like some of their others better. Blue Paddle, Sunshine Wheat (with a squeeze of orange), and the current seasonal 2Below. They made a light summer beer called Loft a couple years ago that was great but it doesn’t look like they’ll make it any more. Damn.

Check out their website, and if you’re ever in Ft. Collins, CO stop by for a tour and some samples.

Fat Tire is brewed here in Ft. Collins, Colorado by New Belgium Brewing Co. It has always been kind of trendy around here, but I am surpised it is the new thing in SoCal. It could be not just the beer, but the company. The company is really dedicated to the environment, so the people in SoCal maybe like that.

The brewery is very close to Colorado States campus. If anyone is in FoCo and a beer fan, check out the breweries. New Belgium has a great sampler tour. They give you probably 4 oz. of all their beers.

If any of you like Wheat beers, try New Belgiums Sunshine Wheat. I like it with a squeeze of lemon. EZ Street Wheat, also brewed in Ft. Collins by O’dells brewing Co. is great.

Fat Tire has been popular in the Pacific North West for a long long time. I used to serve it on tap and bottles at my old bar. My personal favorite New Belgium brew is the 1554. A very dark ale. I live in SoCal now and I don’t find it any more prevelant than I was used to, perhaps it is more your social circle. Either way, they do make nice beers and their Loft as someone mentioned above is a tasty seasonal as well as the Mars.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
It’s a beer from Belgium no? I’m a huge hit or miss with amber ales, some are great, some are shit. I’ll have to give this a try(aka…find it).

I am pretty sure it’s from Colorado. It’s been big with the hippies for years. I can’t remember if I’ve even ever tried it.

The brand-du-jour out here on the east coast is ‘Dogfish Head.’ It’s damn good, I got to check out the brewery last summer.[/quote]

I tried their 60-minute IPA and didn’t really care for it. I couldn’t bring myself to pay $10 for a 6 pack of another type from them. I drank Ipswich a lot while I lived in Boston and could get it.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

The brand-du-jour out here on the east coast is ‘Dogfish Head.’ It’s damn good, I got to check out the brewery last summer.

I tried their 60-minute IPA and didn’t really care for it. I couldn’t bring myself to pay $10 for a 6 pack of another type from them. I drank Ipswich a lot while I lived in Boston and could get it.
[/quote]

Sir,

We have very little in common when it comes to beer I’m afraid. I honestly feel that the 60min IPA is the greatest beer that exists.

I will try the Ipswich even though we may have very different tastes… If the Whole Foods has it anyway.

Do you normally prefer very hoppy beers? I do, and that 60 min is pretty darn hopped.

I wonder how good a beer named “Piss in a Bottle” would sell. I’m not knocking beer, just the funny names that they make up for them. Beer is good.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
ghump wrote:

Cause we don’t need it?

Fat tire’s alright but we have Shiner beer right next door from Texas and Abita beer in state.

We’re pretty well set.[/quote]

MMMMMMMM Abita.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
Fat Tire has been popular in the Pacific North West for a long long time. I used to serve it on tap and bottles at my old bar. My personal favorite New Belgium brew is the 1554. A very dark ale. I live in SoCal now and I don’t find it any more prevelant than I was used to, perhaps it is more your social circle. Either way, they do make nice beers and their Loft as someone mentioned above is a tasty seasonal as well as the Mars.[/quote]

I’ve been drinking it for years down here in Phoenix, AZ as well. I have to give it up for the 1554 though, it replaced Fat Tire as my fav about a year ago

Fat Tire’s ok. I remember when kids were getting kegs of it here in highschool [I’m in Houston]. Somebody mentioned dogfish head, which is absolutely horrible. I know I’m not giving late breaking news, but ya’ll should check out blue moon.

Dude, Blue Moon isn’t even in the same zip code as Dogfish!

You guys must not like hoppy beers.