Fat Timing

I’ve been taking most of my fats for the day in the form of olive and flax seed oil with breakfast. Lately, I’ve been wondering if I should be taking my fats at night before bed. Does anyone have any particular thoughts on this?

I try to eat most of my P+C meals in the first portion of the day and my P+F meals during the latter portion of the day and at night.

[quote]CDarklock wrote:
I’ve been taking most of my fats for the day in the form of olive and flax seed oil with breakfast. Lately, I’ve been wondering if I should be taking my fats at night before bed. Does anyone have any particular thoughts on this?[/quote]
I have read, but have no proof that taking a dose of olive or flaxseed oil with your last protein meal will slow down the absorbtion process and the anabolic effect of the protein will last longer during sleep. I’d sure be nice if this were true.

According to all the Berardi tips, carbs are best tolerated in the morning and post-workout.

Lately I’ve been getting my carbs in the first 3 or 4 meals of the day depending on how late I train, basically P+C for breakfast, second breakfast if I don’t go to the gym early, post-workout, and post-postworkout. And then the rest are P+F.

I just started doing this recently, and I’m basically doing T-Dawg 2.0 as a template and using the tips I found in Berardi’s articles and all the Rountables to remix it a little bit. I used to be a P+F morning person too… but back then I wasn’t really thinking about it. I’ve been doing it seriously for about 3 weeks, and it seems like some fat’s coming off, but I consider it too early to tell if it’s a magic bullet or not.

I would definately recommend checking out all the Macronutrient Roundtables. Either search here or check out the nutrition articles section on berardi’s site.

Nick

CD, it doesn’t matter when you take your fat. You can take it in divided doses or all at once. You can take it in the morning or in the evening. The only time you *don’t want to take your fat is in the few hours post workout, when you’re trying to get in your carbs and resythesize glycogen.

Even though you have all sorts of options, I particularly like the recommendation that you take the majority of your fat at night. Fat does delay gastric emptying, so having it with a protein shake (or any protein) is like providing your body with slow- or sustained-release amino acids.

Unless you workout at night…:slight_smile:

Most of these articles seem to make the assumption that everyone does their training in the morning (ie. 5 am or 10 am)…

Lately I’ve been discovering that I’m more focused around 8-9pm, BUT I have to get up at 5 am for work.

So I’m able to grab a hit of Surge PW, but I’m not sure what to have for PW meal #2…the cereal+plain yoghurt or something like oatmeal (since this is the last meal before bed)…

[quote]CanadianPatriot wrote:
I’m not sure what to have for PW meal #2…the cereal+plain yoghurt or something like oatmeal (since this is the last meal before bed)…
[/quote]

If the issue is preparation time, I’d lean toward preparing PWO#2 before working out. I’m also partial to risotto PWO, which is essentially just rice cooked in chicken soup with chunks of chicken. I can fill you in on exactly how to prepare it, if you want.

Thanks. Though the issue isn’t preparation time, it’s “Squeezing-in-enough-food-to-take-advantage-of-pw-glycogen-window” time…

Don’t forget I also need about 45 min. to “sort of” digest the food enough for me to lie down in bed…

As it is, I’m pretty much gobbling food down about 40 min. after the Surge drink…I can’t wait the full 60 min…