Fat Surplus Gets Used for Every Pound of Muscle U Build?

six months ago i decided to gain about 15 lbs,steadily increased eating to the point of retarded [ex. come home from work eat breakfast,wife wakes up i tell her i have not eaten yet she fixes me big breakfast] number of meals per day who’s counting ,i gained 15lbs in 6 months
start bodyfat , dont know, ending bodyfat, who cares, got stronger, work capacity went up

if i decide to drop body fat i will make appropriate changes
time invested six months
workout program,squats deadlifts bench ,various assistance lifts, 4 workouts per week
keep it simple
dont be afraid[ bodyfat,overtraining,getting hurt]
if you look at this as a long haul ,six months trying something new is nothing

It can range from a lot to a little. It depends on creating a demand to build/keep muscle, quality of diet and recovery. If you aren’t satisfied then make improvements in those areas.

yeah people usually get mediocre results sticking more than 6 months to SS. As other have said lots of variables but both eat more(cleanly) and train with more volume

If I understand the question correctly, your situation is simple. Suppose you were eating 3000 calories/day. At your starting point, that would be a caloric surplus and you gained weight. After gaining 15 pounds though, 3000 calories isnt a surplus anymore. Its your new maintenance calorie intake. Factor in that Martial arts burns a lot of calories so for you maintenance isn’t maintaining bodyweight, it is maintaining bodyweight and maintaining performance at practice.

tl;dr after periods of making substantial gains you need to reevaluate your caloric surplus

as for bodyfat, putting on body fat is not as simple as calories in vs calories out. long conditioning sessions such as at your martial arts practice can put your body into hibernation mode and make it hang onto some fat. Most of the guys at my judo club are not shredded to the bone from doing judo or jiujitsu all the time. A couple of them are and they’re on something. Oh well, deal with it

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

Trying to break it down and using some improve grammar.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

“Hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5lbs”

What?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You like debating so much more than lifting and eating.[/quote]
No kidding.

Anyone up for a Monday morning chuckle?
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/cant_lose_fat

Trust me, I’ve done several years of research and studying on fitness/nutrition and have even taken a class on physiology: diet and exercise (which counted as college credit) and a 9-month long course on personal training from a certified CSCS instructor of NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning). I took both of those courses at UCLA as an undergrad there.[/quote]

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You like debating so much more than lifting and eating.[/quote]
No kidding.

Anyone up for a Monday morning chuckle?

Trust me, I’ve done several years of research and studying on fitness/nutrition and have even taken a class on physiology: diet and exercise (which counted as college credit) and a 9-month long course on personal training from a certified CSCS instructor of NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning). I took both of those courses at UCLA as an undergrad there.[/quote]
[/quote]

Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?[/quote]
I think someone needs to fertilize themselves.

(And regarding your post in a different thread, I’ve been around, just busy working for a living. :wink: )

I presume that despite all of this fancy book-learnin’ you still have not found the answers you seek.

You’ve been told this countless times on this site, but sometimes in this game, less thinking is more. Let go of the textbook answers, let go of the dogma that you’ve read and convinced yourself is true, and experiment on yourself. Learn by doing, not by analyzing every decision to death. Want to know if something works? Try it for 8 weeks and see if it gets you closer to your goal. If it has worked, great. If not, move on and try something else.

ThePunisher can and will say this more articulately than I have, but the truth is that many, many different approaches can get someone to the endpoint of a strong and/or muscular body, to the point where a lot of us on this forum have started to say that as long as the basics (working hard in the gym several times a week in the presence of sufficient nutrition) are fulfilled, the specifics of a program are in some ways the least important element. The most important thing is consistency and hard work.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?[/quote]

I’m getting closer to understanding you, but still not quite.

Are you asking why you gained 3-5lbs of fat versus 3-5lbs of muscle? Or are you wondering why the fat doesn’t transform into muscle? In what way are you wanting your body to use the fat to make more muscle?

cant speak for other people
but
if you go back and look at his past questions and the responses he got
true over thinker
what ever his intent on the question was,
i believe was
how come i gained fat not muscle
could be wrong

Still no idea.

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.[/quote]

I took the question to be roughly:

“Why have other people made more progress than me in the same time scale”

It took a bit of figuring and jiguring to get there though.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?[/quote]
I think someone needs to fertilize themselves.

(And regarding your post in a different thread, I’ve been around, just busy working for a living. :wink: )[/quote]
LOL!!!

Still no idea.

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.[/quote]
It’s hard unless English isn’t your 1st language. I sort of understood what he meant.

We share the same biology, regardless of ideology…

Look, all kidding aside - the reason other people make more progress than you may be their genetics but it’s mostly because you can’t get the basic three bits - lift, eat, sleep - right yet keep asking about the remaining 5% of the puzzle.

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?[/quote]

I’m getting closer to understanding you, but still not quite.

Are you asking why you gained 3-5lbs of fat versus 3-5lbs of muscle? Or are you wondering why the fat doesn’t transform into muscle? In what way are you wanting your body to use the fat to make more muscle?
[/quote]

I feel someone with a “post-grad medical-related degree” should be able to answer both of these questions without any help.

I also feel like they should be able to construct basic sentences as well though, so what do I know?

no, no, no. You guys misunderstand me. I am not asking why I am not making as much progress compared to alot of people. The question I am trying to ask is why didn’t all of the fat I gained didn’t transform into muscle? I mean the purpose of gaining a certain amount of fat surplus during bulking is to use all of that gained fat as calories for building muscle mass and strength (along with facilitating optimal recovery in the muscles used from your weightlifting routine).

Wow I was wrong. I understood nothing because I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he isn’t an idiot.