Fat Store Clerk Says 'Spike is Dangerous'

On a completely unrelated note, the “a day in the life Erik Fankhouser” video series on youtube is a pretty enjoyable watch IMO

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
If I had a nickel for every time someone cautioned me about all that horrible protein causing kidney damage,… let’s just say that I’d have a sh-tload of nickels.

(this is why I try to avoid any sort of interaction,… usually just saying ‘thanks for the tip’)

S[/quote]

Wise words Stu. Nowadays I try my best not to talk about my diet specifics to others. Just being general and vague unless they generally sound interested or want to learn more. I just don’t need their opinions and half baked theories clouding my day.

My family is getting used to the diet and the higher levels of protein compared to the rest of the family. My diet is completely different, but thankfully they are very supportive of my endeavors.

PS - Stu, you can now spend your nickels accumulated at the Pop Tart World? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That is honestly how they act. At this point, I now believe most women have cravings they simply can not control. You never see guys saying, “Oh, I just feel like I NEED cookies!!”…unless WhiteCastle, a whole Cheech and Chong collection, and some brownies are involved.[/quote]

Haha, agreed (for the most part). I’ve met some pretty disciplined women, but they all crave chocolate and sugar. I literally have cravings for peanut butter. I dream about that shit.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
My family is getting used to the diet and the higher levels of protein compared to the rest of the family. My diet is completely different, but thankfully they are very supportive of my endeavors.[/quote]

Same here. When I go home to visit my parents, my mom goes to Costco and picks up a couple lbs of chicken breast and beef, a few jars of peanut butter, and steel cut oats. It’s great.

at my job, in a school, it seemed as if all the female teachers were always “on a diet” which usually consisted of choosing only salads (which often contained quite heavy dressings and cheese) and fruit, and then having a dessert most days “as a treat” which i think they believe they have earnt because of all the slad they have eaten.

and then they assume that i dont need to watch what i eat and am “so lucky” because I am in good shape, when I eat healthily and in what they would feel is a restricted way every day consistently.

[quote]bud moody wrote:
at my job, in a school, it seemed as if all the female teachers were always “on a diet” which usually consisted of choosing only salads (which often contained quite heavy dressings and cheese) and fruit, and then having a dessert most days “as a treat” which i think they believe they have earnt because of all the slad they have eaten. and then they assume that i dont need to watch what i eat and am “so lucky” because I am in good shape, when I eat healthily and in what they would feel is a restricted way every day consistently. [/quote]

The salad thing kills me. At the work cafeteria there is a salad “station” where the cooks will make a salad for you. There’s always a super long line of fat people in line for the salads. Load it up with blue cheese and it’s still healthy, right? Meanwhile the other station that has chicken breast, brown rice, vegetables, and sweet potatoes is always empty. Hey, at least I get my lunch fast without having to stand in line.

I’m only 18, and work about 32-40 hrs a week. So i usally just cook alot and bring my food in tupperware containers, maybe a protein shake, ect, for my breaks and lunch. So I get the “why dont you eat some normal food?” or “why dont you be a kid and eat some (insert cookies, potato chips, ect.) on your break?”.

So after attempting to explain a couple dozen times and then inevitably being told how stupid or ‘unhealthy’ my eating habits are, I’ve learned to have a defualt response of “I eat like this at 18 so I can be the biggest motherfucker you’ll ever meet when I’m 21”. lol. usually gets the person to shut up and leave

[quote]albie wrote:
my favorite question is “why don’t you eat like a normal person?” lmao[/quote]

Response: Because I don’t want to look like a normal person.

[quote]TrainerDude wrote:
0530, Bam! Gym time. I skip my reliable 7/11 deciding to get my pre w/o Spike drink elsewhere on my way. Bam! Shell station, I see everything BUT, so I ask the guy if they have it? He replies; “No, that stuff is DANGEROUS”." I resist the KEN impulse, inwardly sigh and say softly; “It’s not dangerous.” I leave. Mind you, he’s 150lbs OVERFAT tellin’ me SPIKE was “dangerous”. I guess a hotte caffe latte or a Big Gulp is considered health food?

Two more strikeouts at different establishments and now I’m in “a mood”. A BAD mood. Reminds me of the time I went into the hospital and a cigarette-smoking fat nurse told me weight lifting was “bad for you”. Go figure.
NOTE TO SELF: Order online. [/quote]

So a couple of weeks ago I stop into the gym cause the manager wanted to meet my sons after we left the gym it was hot and mom wasn’t around so I thought I’d do one of those things mom’s hate but dads should do with their sons, and I suggested we stop by Meijer which is about a mile away from the gym and get some energy drinks.

My youngest decided he’s gonna choose for us so he walks between the cooler and the behemouth I mean woman standing in front of it and starts filling his arms with Red Bull and Monster. The ogre I mean woman blurts out “ho hooo no those aren’t good for you.”

Ok let me just get to the point number one who “F’n” asked her and where did she get off at a BF% in excess of 50 saying anything to anybody about what is good for them?

So yeah I feel your pain!!!

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:
“ho hooo no those aren’t good for you.”
[/quote]

Oh,… what would YOU suggest then,… maybe a nice cold glass of buttermilk? :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:
“ho hooo no those aren’t good for you.”
[/quote]

Oh,… what would YOU suggest then,… maybe a nice cold glass of buttermilk? :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

"Hooo that sounds good we could dunk these Oreos I have in my cart in it!Hmmmmmm!

Scuse me I think vomit came up in my throat a bit.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]bud moody wrote:
at my job, in a school, it seemed as if all the female teachers were always “on a diet” which usually consisted of choosing only salads (which often contained quite heavy dressings and cheese) and fruit, and then having a dessert most days “as a treat” which i think they believe they have earnt because of all the slad they have eaten. and then they assume that i dont need to watch what i eat and am “so lucky” because I am in good shape, when I eat healthily and in what they would feel is a restricted way every day consistently. [/quote]

The salad thing kills me. At the work cafeteria there is a salad “station” where the cooks will make a salad for you. There’s always a super long line of fat people in line for the salads. Load it up with blue cheese and it’s still healthy, right? Meanwhile the other station that has chicken breast, brown rice, vegetables, and sweet potatoes is always empty. Hey, at least I get my lunch fast without having to stand in line.[/quote]

Try eating a salad without dressing in front of people and watch them lose their goddamn minds. I’ve had people openly stare at me and tell me that you can’t eat a salad without dressing. It simply is NOT POSSIBLE. The very thought of me attempting this impossible stunt fills them with outrage and makes them defensive for some reason.

I never know what to say to that so I just chew with my mouth open as disgustingly as possible until they stop staring at me.

[quote]themechanic55 wrote:

[quote]albie wrote:
my favorite question is “why don’t you eat like a normal person?” lmao[/quote]
Response: Because I don’t want to look like a normal person. [/quote]
Amen, brother.

A guy told me last month that a high protein diet is bad for the kidneys, but as I like to educate people and don’t mind possible complications, I simply said very confidently it’s not true and that the studies that showed kidney damage were with people that already had kidney damage.

But if you guys think people give you a hard time about what you eat, try eating in Korea: going to a restaurant and telling the server you don’t want rice causes waitresses to come around sometimes, staring at you in disbelief, and shaking their heads. Co-workers are even worse: they’ll ask everyday why you don’t want rice, and telling them its because white rice has no nutritional value just doesn’t fly.

[quote]BCheron wrote:
A guy told me last month that a high protein diet is bad for the kidneys, but as I like to educate people and don’t mind possible complications, I simply said very confidently it’s not true and that the studies that showed kidney damage were with people that already had kidney damage.
[/quote]
I get the “protein is bad for the kidneys” routine weekly from a rather rotund older guy I work with.

What sort of thought process goes on with these people? Here’s how it would logically go:

“Oh look, Matt’s consuming a shake/meat/milk/tuna again. Here’s my chance to be a sanctimonious prick. Hang on, I’m fucking fat so I’m clearly not qualified to comment so maybe I’ll just shut the fuck up and womble off to the fridge quietly then…”

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]bud moody wrote:

The salad thing kills me. At the work cafeteria there is a salad “station” where the cooks will make a salad for you. There’s always a super long line of fat people in line for the salads. Load it up with blue cheese and it’s still healthy, right? Meanwhile the other station that has chicken breast, brown rice, vegetables, and sweet potatoes is always empty. Hey, at least I get my lunch fast without having to stand in line.[/quote]

Try eating a salad without dressing in front of people and watch them lose their goddamn minds. I’ve had people openly stare at me and tell me that you can’t eat a salad without dressing. It simply is NOT POSSIBLE. The very thought of me attempting this impossible stunt fills them with outrage and makes them defensive for some reason.

I never know what to say to that so I just chew with my mouth open as disgustingly as possible until they stop staring at me.

[/quote]

Try eating one with oil and vinegar as everyone else loads theirs up with no calorie dressing.

them - “You should use this stuff, it has no calories. You’re eating a lot of calories with that oil”

me - "I prefer to eat food. What food on the planet has no calories? You are dumping massive quantities of liquid on your salad. Wtf is in it?

them - “I don’t know”

me - “How do you eat something and not know what it is?”

them - blank stare

I looked at the label and found more chemicals than are typically under my kitchen sink. I’ll stick to my pumpkin seed oil and vinegar.

And once you get that “reputation” you cant please anyone… I could be indulging for a special occasion and get a range of comments for that as well

People just like to judge- often b/c they have low self esteem… or maybe their shitty diets have messed w/ their brain circuits. lol

And this is why I love my job, where drinking a protein shake while on the register is totally normal. Hell, we get asked to try all sorts of different whey and stuff so that we can intelligently comment on them to customers. Same goes for bars and the random snack foods we sell (I would have never imagined protein potato chips).

Poor bastards, especially X.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
And this is why I love my job, where drinking a protein shake while on the register is totally normal. Hell, we get asked to try all sorts of different whey and stuff so that we can intelligently comment on them to customers. Same goes for bars and the random snack foods we sell (I would have never imagined protein potato chips).

Poor bastards, especially X.[/quote]

Honestly, I don’t get this from guys at work. If anything, they may ask what they should do in the gym (even if they never actually plan on doing it), but the women seem to be the only ones who make an issue of it as if they think I am eating so unhealthily that my steak and rice is worse than their fried chicken and chocolate cake.

They make faces at my food when the truth is, my steaks taste fucking great and smell great.

Even at where you work, if you get to the point where you stand out DRASTICALLY from your coworkers physically, that is when the hate sets in.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

Honestly, I don’t get this from guys at work. If anything, they may ask what they should do in the gym (even if they never actually plan on doing it), but the women seem to be the only ones who make an issue of it as if they think I am eating so unhealthily that my steak and rice is worse than their fried chicken and chocolate cake.

They make faces at my food when the truth is, my steaks taste fucking great and smell great.

Even at where you work, if you get to the point where you stand out DRASTICALLY from your coworkers physically, that is when the hate sets in.[/quote]

Steak.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

Even at where you work, if you get to the point where you stand out DRASTICALLY from your coworkers physically, that is when the hate sets in.[/quote]

I think a lot of people don’t understand how important steak is on any level of training. If you are huge or plan on being there then you need something that is calorie dense and worth it’s weight in protein. I also think that people believe steak is unhealthy from reading magazines and I’m 100% sure that reading mags is a crappy place to get information from. If they were a good source most people would have entire fitness educations after 6 mags. Now another thing I think about steak ( but I don’t claim to be a scientist about) is that I think there are different qualities or protein that you can ingest and I gonna go out on a limb and say that steak is a better source of protein than others when you can afford it.