Fat Sources

avocados are good i eat 2 everyday

[quote]rape69 wrote:
avocados are good i eat 2 everyday[/quote]

I’m starting to really dig them too. I had half of one last night with about a 1/2 pounds of ground beef and about 1/4 cup rice (sort of a naked burrito).

I get about 75-100 grams of starch a day from potatoes and or rice. I will usually add kerrigold butter, red palm oil, coconut BUTTER or olive oil to these, mixed with different veggies, eggs, and ground beef or bison, or beef liver. In fact, basically 2 bowls like that a day accounts for most of my macros. Plus I will get about 3/4 cup half and half in my LARGE coffee once or twice a day and will eat cheese.

Supplement regime daily:
3 grams Fish Oil
2 grams coconut oil
1 gram Garlic
ZMA protocol
Kelp (for Iodine 400mg)
Vitamin D 10,000 Units
Vitamin Multi Large Dose
30mL Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar

I don’t usually have to work too hard at it, plenty of fats in meat, salad dressing, cheese, avocado, etc. 50% seems pretty high, why are you targeting that?

There are three kinds:

Saturated fats: Ok stuff, helps boost Testosterone and Cholesterol acts as androgen substrate so that’s good. Where possible emphasize short & medium chain triglycerides like lauric acid (found in coconut oil) and de-emphasize very long chain fatty acids and palmitic acid (if there was a bad saturated fat, this would likely be the culprit)

Monounsaturated fats: Great stuff, boosts Testosterone and has plenty of health benefits with virtually no downsides. (olive oil & macadamia nuts are examples of a good sources)

Polyunsaturated fats: Conditionally ok or bad. Increased consumption decreases Testosterone and excess Omega 6 intake can cause all kinds of health problems. Avoid Omega 6, emphasize Omega 3 and generally don’t use plant oils. Shoot for less than 15g per day (coincides with normal consumption levels pre-plant oil usage) So, as an example you should use almond butter instead of peanut butter due to its lower poly content.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
50% seems pretty high, why are you targeting that?[/quote]

That was the suggested breakdown to go along with the Juggernaut Training system for those basically trying to get bigger, stronger, and leaner.

This is the excerpt from the book
Training Days:
19516 = 3,120
18 = 3,510

Fat / cal = 1,560
Fat / cal = 1,755

Fat / grams = 223
Fat / grams = 250

Fats aren’t a bad thing but you realize that with your carbs that low your metabolism is going to slow down right? 25% is a decent level when you’re cutting, but on a bulk I’m not sure I’d want a sluggish thyroid. 50% carbs is pretty much 100% serum T3 but its reduced on a logarithmic curve at levels below that. To be fair you’re only looking at like a slightly less than 10% reduction so as long as you don’t go any lower it’s probably not a huge issue. I don’t know much about the Juggernaut Training system so maybe they’re doing it for a good reason.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
Fats aren’t a bad thing but you realize that with your carbs that low your metabolism is going to slow down right? 25% is a decent level when you’re cutting, but on a bulk I’m not sure I’d want a sluggish thyroid. 50% carbs is pretty much 100% serum T3 but its reduced on a logarithmic curve at levels below that. To be fair you’re only looking at like a slightly less than 10% reduction so as long as you don’t go any lower it’s probably not a huge issue. I don’t know much about the Juggernaut Training system so maybe they’re doing it for a good reason.[/quote]

I’m not on a bulk. I want to maintain my weight while recomping. Carbs are over 200g on training days and I still eat carbs on the off days (I do minimize them though most days). I feel like that should be plenty.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Ya, I saute veggies in coconut oil quote a bit. Eggs on the other hand, some weeks I’ll eat every day and some weeks I just don’t like the taste. It’s kind weird actually. I’ll probably start hard boiling eggs again though. How many calories are you eating @1 Man Island? I’m shooting for about 3,200-3,500. [/quote]

I’m on the chubby side and not trying to gain weight, fwiw.

Man, if I hardboil the eggs, they just don’t last… way too convenient.

I’m more IIFM, but in a relatively clean manner. I’ll have a pop tart or some cereal after a work out for my carbs. On non-workout days, a couple pieces of fruit and maybe some almonds. If anything, I don’t get enough veg. I’ve had a lot of changes in life lately, so consistency in diet and routine has been an issue. I was down about 5 lbs, then up about 10, and down about 10. I’ve managed to get back into the groove of things, though, and at least tie some PRs at lower bw.

Macro wise on work out day, it’s 200p, 138c, 105f, so that’s like 2300 calories? I eyeball everything, though, so maybe it’s off, and I include fiber in my carbs. Pretty low for a guy over 6 feet, but I’m getting stronger and sometimes even gain weight. I drop 5g protein about once a month and increase carbs by 5-10g every month, staggered, as I am able… kind of reverse dieting, I guess.

Ah, that’s probably fine then. Percentages can give funny results sometimes, grams are often a more accurate way to communicate. I agree that if you’re getting 200g carbs on training days then being lower on the other days probably isn’t an issue especially for recomping rather than bulking.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
Fats aren’t a bad thing but you realize that with your carbs that low your metabolism is going to slow down right? 25% is a decent level when you’re cutting, but on a bulk I’m not sure I’d want a sluggish thyroid. 50% carbs is pretty much 100% serum T3 but its reduced on a logarithmic curve at levels below that. To be fair you’re only looking at like a slightly less than 10% reduction so as long as you don’t go any lower it’s probably not a huge issue. I don’t know much about the Juggernaut Training system so maybe they’re doing it for a good reason.[/quote]

I had the opposite happen with carbs low. My calories are higher. I always find it funny that people think fat can’t replenish energy stores, but some how you have to keep them low or they can make you gain weight.

Your muscles only substantially use glycogen to replenish CP and ATP when the free fatty acids can’t be beta oxidized fast enough, or can’t be shuttled to the mitochondria fast enough, or can’t be transported to the working cells fast enough. CP and ATP in muscles at rest are 90%+ maintained by free fatty acid oxidation. And FFAs net Acetyl CoA just like glucose. Acetyl CoA replenishes and maintains CP and ATP.

What you won’t typically do without carbs is maintain FULL (or arguably slightly OVERFUL) glycogen stores.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
50% seems pretty high, why are you targeting that?[/quote]

That was the suggested breakdown to go along with the Juggernaut Training system for those basically trying to get bigger, stronger, and leaner. [/quote]

I always just think it’s so weird how different people can respond to diets so differently. I’ve tried multiple times to either do a ‘balanced’ split of macros to fats/protein/carbs, and tried going low carb before (gaining and dieting), and literally I always do worse than if I do the high carb/low-mod fat approach. Which sucks because ‘fatty’ goods are usually what I crave, though that could be because fats are generally low…

This was off topic I just think just large variations in diets are weird lol

My go to breakfast is beef stew with extra beef lard and a big scoop of butter (butter + beef = great flavor). Very easy to get a good amount of fat in you when low carbing, and easy to control the amount of fat. I actually bought an extra freezer for this. Every few weeks I cook up 5+ gallons of stew and fill up the freezer. Gives me a solid breakfast and an easy backup meal for days when I don’t feel like cooking. Adding some cheese also ups the fat (and protein) nicely.

Heavy cream with (zero carb) protein powder gives you a nice base for a snack. I add my portion of fruit with this. If I want higher carbs I’ll add some jam and/or switch the zero carb protein powder for Metabolic Drive.

I use beef lard and/ or coconut oil for all my cooking. US Welness sells 5 gallon buckets of beef lard if you’re looking for a good source. Costco has cheap coconut fat and a good deal on Kerrygold.

And then there’s Haagen Dazs plain vanilla (the bourbon/ French vanilla is a little too sugary for my taste) for those wonderful cheat meals. A quart gives a nice boost in kcals. and IMO much better than GOMAD if you turn it into a milkshake with added protein powder :slight_smile: