T Nation

Fat Sources

Where do people get their fat from?

I'm trying a new diet approach and am looking to get about 50% of my calories from fat and I'm struggling to figure out how I'm going to do it. I'm looking to be in the neighborhood of 250g or about 1,750 calories.

So far today I've had (listed just fat):

Breakfast Shake:
1 serving peanut Butter 18g
2 serving heavy whipping cream 12g
Metabolic Drive 1.5 servings

Lunch: Naked Hamburger
Some cheese (didn't measure, but probably a 1/4 cup)
1/4 avacado about 7g
Burger meat is grass feed, but pretty lean

Snack: Another shake same breakdown

Pre-training: Metabolic Drive Bar 8g

That's 75g so far. I've still got 175g to go. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it. I could add another shake in the morning that would be another 30g. I normally cook dinner in coconut oil, but even if I eat another 50g's (which seems way high) at dinner and have another shake that's still 65g's to go.

Any thoughts? I got the diet parameters from the Juggernaut 2.0 eBook and am following that program.

Great sources:

Full fat milk, kefir, and/or cheese
Grass fed beef, which you’re doing… (for others, if not grass fed, regular beef fat is far better than most think.)
Grass fed beef tallow added to a dry meat or used to fry vegetables, which is outstanding.
Grass-fed butter (even regular butter is good)
Eggs (most preferably pastured soy-free, but even supermarket eggs are pretty good)
Coconut oil
Olive oil

A tablespoon or two can be put in shakes, but in general fat is going to taste best in with the solid food.

If dinner has 50 g (450 cal) and fat is supposed to be 50% of calories, then that’s a 900 cal dinner on a 3500 cal/day diet: seems to match up.

Only 1 butter and 2 cream, you can do better than that.

Always get the fattiest meat.

I personally will snack on straight coconut oil and things like unsweetened chocolate.

dark chocolate (85-90%) or cocoa powder is another great with some antioxidant/phytonutrient goodies to boot

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Where do people get their fat from?

I’m trying a new diet approach and am looking to get about 50% of my calories from fat and I’m struggling to figure out how I’m going to do it. I’m looking to be in the neighborhood of 250g or about 1,750 calories.

So far today I’ve had (listed just fat):

Breakfast Shake:
1 serving peanut Butter 18g
2 serving heavy whipping cream 12g
Metabolic Drive 1.5 servings

Lunch: Naked Hamburger
Some cheese (didn’t measure, but probably a 1/4 cup)
1/4 avacado about 7g
Burger meat is grass feed, but pretty lean

Snack: Another shake same breakdown

Pre-training: Metabolic Drive Bar 8g

That’s 75g so far. I’ve still got 175g to go. I’m not sure how I’m going to make it. I could add another shake in the morning that would be another 30g. I normally cook dinner in coconut oil, but even if I eat another 50g’s (which seems way high) at dinner and have another shake that’s still 65g’s to go.

Any thoughts? I got the diet parameters from the Juggernaut 2.0 eBook and am following that program.

[/quote]

Other than Flameout and the fats naturally in meats I get all my fat from coconut oil and milk.

If you need to get more fat here is what you can do mix coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a little bit of splenda. Freeze into anything you want and you have awesome tasting chocolate.

You could also mix the above with peanut flour/almond flour do not freeze.

Or make a shake with a can of coconut milk there is about 70g of fat in each can and they are pretty cheap.

Definitely coconut oil. You can eat it right out of the jar, cook with it and add it on foods.

Lots of great stuff already listed here. Apologies for the redundancy.

Cook in coconut oil and butter. This much you know.

Add them to your coffee. I’m fairly certain that coffee with a tablespoon of heavy cream and a hunk of butter is what God has while he reads the morning paper.

Make your own homemade desserts (google Paleo “fat bombs”)

Fatty meats: lamb, duck, goose. I know those can be a bit pricey. I placed a bulk order for duck wings from US Wellness Meats and by the time I got the bulk discount and the monthly special the price wasn’t too bad. You haven’t lived until you’ve had duck wings or duck legs cooked confit style.

Bacon and eggs, of course. Avocado, too.

Smoked salmon is a good protein snack with a bit of fat.

I also love full fat kefir (health benefits and taste) and will drink some of that as a de facto protein shake after workouts.

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Thoughts on MCT oil? I have some from the Bullet Proof coffee company that I haven’t used.

On the topic of grass feed butter, does everyone use Kerrygold? That seems to be a popular choice on here and in other places. Does it matter? What are you looking for when you buy the butter, just that it’s grass fed?

I’ll definitely start adding coconut milk to my shakes, that’s a quick fix. Great suggestions. @ActivitiesGuy, I love me some Duck and Lamb. I’ll check out the site you mentioned, thanks!

I do take Flameout; although, I had forgot my AM dose yesterday. @juverulez Not a fan of higher percentage dark chocolate, thanks for the suggestion though!

@DoubleDuce, I’ll go for the fattier meats, thanks! I’m a big fan of chicken thigh’s and fatty steak so no complaint about that!

@Bill Roberts, thanks for the response! We’ve started ordering and splitting a side of grass fed beef 2-3 times a year so I’m covered there. My mom also raises chicken’s 100% naturally fed, but they only lay part of the year (has something to do with the lighting I’m told. She doesn’t use artificial light to get them to lay). I usually go with the free range certified eggs at our local store (certified humane or something like that).

What’s the consensus on mixing macro’s? I’ve been trying to keep fat and carbs separate except with maybe dinner. Otherwise I’m basically doing fat + protein until my pre-training regimen, then carbs + protein, then dinner is usually all three, and then back to protein + fat. Does it matter?

MCT oil is essentially or actually coconut oil that has had some of the longer chain fatty acids removed.

It should taste comparably good to coconut oil: if it tastes bad, it’s a bad product. For some reason there are many bad MCT oils out there. (I still remember the horror of the aptly-named “Human Machine Oil” put out by Twin in the 90’s.)

If aiming to have plenty of fats anyway, regular coconut oil is fine. If aiming to increase MCT’s by a given amount with not so much oil, then a good MCT product is more efficient.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with your method of mixing macros.

Thanks Bill!

When all totaled, the fats found naturally in a lot of otherwise lower fat foods adds up too after a few servings (e.g., rolled or steel cut oats, chicken, fish, etc.). However, I sometimes add avocados, flax seed, chia seeds or nuts to foods such as oatmeal, Greek yogurt, or salads. These add healthy fats if you need to squeeze in some extra fat calories. Nut butters are good snack additions here as well.

Thanks JR249. I do like me some Greek yogurt. I use to added plain to my shakes and might start doing that again.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Thanks JR249. I do like me some Greek yogurt. I use to added plain to my shakes and might start doing that again. [/quote]

Here’s what I do for an occasional snack:
1/2-1 cup Greek yogurt (I get nonfat, but full fat is fine, whatever fits your macros)
1-2 TBSP unsweetened coco powder or raw cacao nibs (good fat source) w/liquid Stevia
1/2-1 TBSP unsweetened coconut flakes (these are also a good source of fat)
1-2 TBSP of walnuts OR a nut butter of your choice
1 small handful of blueberries (1/2 cup or so)
**optional mix and matches: 1 scoop of flavored protein powder (negates need for the sweetener), 1-2 Tbsp of ground flax seed or chia seeds, 1/4-1/2 cup of dried rolled oats (if you need more carbs)

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Thanks JR249. I do like me some Greek yogurt. I use to added plain to my shakes and might start doing that again. [/quote]

Here’s what I do for an occasional snack:
1/2-1 cup Greek yogurt (I get nonfat, but full fat is fine, whatever fits your macros)
1-2 TBSP unsweetened coco powder or raw cacao nibs (good fat source) w/liquid Stevia
1/2-1 TBSP unsweetened coconut flakes (these are also a good source of fat)
1-2 TBSP of walnuts OR a nut butter of your choice
1 small handful of blueberries (1/2 cup or so)
**optional mix and matches: 1 scoop of flavored protein powder (negates need for the sweetener), 1-2 Tbsp of ground flax seed or chia seeds, 1/4-1/2 cup of dried rolled oats (if you need more carbs)
[/quote]

Sounds pretty tasty, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

I put olive oil on almost all meats and veggies I eat, eating peanut butter or almond butter inbetween meals as much as I can without choking on it. I like to buy super thick ribeyes when I can from the butcher store because there are a couple farms around here that supply them, and they have a ton of great fat. I eat about 1/1.5 avocados a day recently since I’ve been cutting back on carbs and that helps me feel a little more full, and using full fat milk in my shakes and oatmeal helps.

Breakfast:
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Pistacios
1/4 cup Sunflowerseeds
3 Tbls Chia Seeds

50 grams Fat 450 Cals
20 grams Pro 80 cals
20 grams Carb 80 cals
23 grams FIBER

Lunch(typically)
3 Xl Eggs (organic,seed fed)
4 oz pork/ beef
1 Large Red Pepper
4oz Hard Cheese
Unlimited veggies

Dinner
Dead Flesh 8oz
Unlimited Veggies
Bagel and Cream Cheese

Training

Post W/O
Protein shake
30 minutes later UHMW carb source

I’ve been getting about half my calories from fat for about a year now. Honestly, I never really feel I need to add fat to anything. Sure, sometimes I may need a couple handfuls of almonds or an oz or two of cheese, but this isn’t the norm.

I get most of my fat from sauteing vegetables or eating fattier cuts of meat. I eat a lot of chicken quarters. Yes, chicken fat isn’t the best, but I can get the chicken for .60/lb, and that can’t be beat. Also, I sometimes put down a dozen eggs in a day.

The healthiest, and most enjoyable, is probably to saute veggies in the oil of your choice: 2 birds/1 stone.

Ya, I saute veggies in coconut oil quote a bit. Eggs on the other hand, some weeks I’ll eat every day and some weeks I just don’t like the taste. It’s kind weird actually. I’ll probably start hard boiling eggs again though. How many calories are you eating @1 Man Island? I’m shooting for about 3,200-3,500.

That’s not bad @killerDIRK