Fat Sources: Plant vs. Animal

Would getting fat from a source such as grass fed beef be healthier than from a plant source such as an avacado or olive oil?

Obviously mainstream health seems to say we should avoid fatty cuts of meat like the plague and that olive oil and avocados are better sources.

I guess I am just wondering what is considered to be a good fat source and what is considered to be a bad one.

they’re all good :wink: except trans-fats and excess omega-6s (mainly from the common vegetable oils)

The healthy sources of dietary fat for humans are: animal, nut, and fruit. Get all 3.

Animal: animals store pollution in the fat, so if you can’t afford to eat organic all the time, target your organic dollars on animal fat (if cow, also grass-fed/pastured).

Nut: peanut is not a nut.

Fruit: olive/oil, coconut/oil, avocado/guacamole. Also, chocolate is a fruit (make sure 70% or more cocoa content).

As posted above, the correct answer is ‘both’

For example, both walnuts (ALA) and wild fish (EPA,DHA) are required for the full complement of omega 3’s, etc

edit - I like Jeffrey’s approach, three distinct sources

get that virgin coconut oil and virgin red palm oil in there

Great breakdown Jeffrey! Omega 3’s, animal fat, and coconut oil is what you want and avoidance of vegetable oils as suggested above.
I’d venture to say organic butter (or ghee for those intolerant to dairy) is a great selection as well.
All the best!

Organic vs Grass Fed is an issue worth mentioning. A cow could be organic because it is being fed organic grains.
When it comes to Proteins (Beef, Salmon, etc.) Grass Fed is King in terms of Healthy Fats, although Grain Fed is far better tasting.

Grass Fed Beef in particular is high in Omega 3 and has no harmful horomones added, but as one would expect it is far more expensive.

Look on-line for reputable Farms that specialize in Grass Fed Beef.

Local Butchers are only now looking into this alternative which is the norm in other countries.

[quote]TORO wrote:

When it comes to Proteins (Beef, Salmon, etc.) Grass Fed is King in terms of Healthy Fats, although Grain Fed is far better tasting.

Grass Fed Beef in particular is high in Omega 3 and has no harmful horomones added, but as one would expect it is far more expensive.
[/quote]

Grass fed salmon? Reall that’s a new one. Since when did fish start eating grass?

Grass fed beef is high in omega 3’s? Really, it’s higher - the amounts are still low compared to eating fish. I guess this is semantics in fairness

Farmed Salmon, just as with Cattle are fed grains to fatten them up and dye to get the pink color they normally get from eating their natural seawater fare. I should have said “Wild Salmon instead of Farmed Salmon”