'Fat Rights'

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Beast27195 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Wow…people like you need to pretty much keep the trap shut more so than the obese people in the world. While a lot of obese people I’ve encountered do make excuses and such, at least they’re not overtly rude, ignorant, and offensive. And yes, sometimes mental issues do play a part in obesity, as I myself struggle with depression, and during some of my bouts, I’ve found myself eating a lot more out of compulsion and comfort. I, unlike the subject of this discussion, recognized that I needed to fix that. That’s why I am in therapy. Coming from a family where drug and alcohol abuse, as well as obesity is prevalent, I refuse to let myself go that badly. Not everyone is going to have the same degree of motivation/dedication/whathaveyou as I or most others. I don’t agree with “Fat Rights” however, I’m not going to be offensive about my stance, either.

blow me. im not going to sugar coat everything so you dont get you feelings hurt. its so rediculous that people can even form thought trains like this to defend fat people. this shit is going too far. everyone who has failed wants some kind of excuse so they dont have to feel bad and can mask their failure with a false sense of acceptance. my god, you ate your fucking face off…why should i feel sorry for you at all? i hope they have a fat-rights rally here or something so i can go there with signs of starving children. im not trying to come off as coarse or whatever, but seriously, when theres people making rediculous requests like wanting obesisty to have its own set of “rights” im not going to take to that kindly.

life is what you make of it. make solutions, not excuses. remember that shit, and motivate yourself to be someone.

this is a bodybuilding website. bodybuilding is the epitome of discipline, hardwork, and dedication. dont bring this shit here and expect any sympathy whatsoever.
[/quote]

Wow, you’re quite the class act.

Nobody (here anyways) is defending the poor choices made by the majority of the obese. The point is that some people have underlying circumstances and are not deserving of the stereotypes that are being thrown around here. Yes they have problems and they aren’t perfect. As long as they are not trying to justify this poor behavior as being ok, you have no reason to ridicule anybody.

[quote]superthrustjon wrote:
I had a client who I saw 3x a week at 40 bucks a session, and she told me she wasn’t going to quit smoking or stop eating the way she does. If I were paying 120 a week I would do what they guy says.

My friend trains a lady right now who got a program from another trainer somewhere, pretty much it’s just a circuit course on some Precor machines. She doesn’t want him to do anything, just follow her around and adjust the seat and weight for her. She’s hella-overweight and is trying to do “just enough” to keep her alive.
[/quote]

What motivates you to keep people like that as clients?

[quote]Khronos wrote:
hungry4more wrote:
I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race.

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement. [/quote]

I don’t recall saying anything about ridiculing anyone…it’s not that they’re fat that I mind, it’s that they complain about it but don’t do what it takes to change that. You can’t change race. You can change if you’re fat. Big difference.

[quote]tedro wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Beast27195 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Wow…people like you need to pretty much keep the trap shut more so than the obese people in the world. While a lot of obese people I’ve encountered do make excuses and such, at least they’re not overtly rude, ignorant, and offensive. And yes, sometimes mental issues do play a part in obesity, as I myself struggle with depression, and during some of my bouts, I’ve found myself eating a lot more out of compulsion and comfort. I, unlike the subject of this discussion, recognized that I needed to fix that. That’s why I am in therapy. Coming from a family where drug and alcohol abuse, as well as obesity is prevalent, I refuse to let myself go that badly. Not everyone is going to have the same degree of motivation/dedication/whathaveyou as I or most others. I don’t agree with “Fat Rights” however, I’m not going to be offensive about my stance, either.

blow me. im not going to sugar coat everything so you dont get you feelings hurt. its so rediculous that people can even form thought trains like this to defend fat people. this shit is going too far. everyone who has failed wants some kind of excuse so they dont have to feel bad and can mask their failure with a false sense of acceptance. my god, you ate your fucking face off…why should i feel sorry for you at all? i hope they have a fat-rights rally here or something so i can go there with signs of starving children. im not trying to come off as coarse or whatever, but seriously, when theres people making rediculous requests like wanting obesisty to have its own set of “rights” im not going to take to that kindly.

life is what you make of it. make solutions, not excuses. remember that shit, and motivate yourself to be someone.

this is a bodybuilding website. bodybuilding is the epitome of discipline, hardwork, and dedication. dont bring this shit here and expect any sympathy whatsoever.

Wow, you’re quite the class act.

Nobody (here anyways) is defending the poor choices made by the majority of the obese. The point is that some people have underlying circumstances and are not deserving of the stereotypes that are being thrown around here. Yes they have problems and they aren’t perfect. As long as they are not trying to justify this poor behavior as being ok, you have no reason to ridicule anybody.[/quote]

im guessing you overlooked the part where i said that maybe one in a million actually does have an issue that makes them eat profously. im not out rediculing them anyway (i dont make fun of fat every fat person i see). im just saying they (the ones who are just fat because they eat and feel sorry for themselves) dont deserve any sympathy. and as far as rediculing goes, cry me a river. like people who go to the gym 4-5 times a week and eat or dont eat certain things dont get just as rediculed. its like everyone put a redlight on making fun of out of shape people and put the greenlight on people trying to improve themselves and ill still eat my eggs and drink my milk and go to the gym and do deadlifts and squat barefoot. yea sorry, no fucking sympathy from me.

personally im getting sick and tired of what fat people have to say about my food choices. ive been nice because i understand that while i may eat food that seems ‘weird’ at least i dont look like a piece of shit. now, ive never actually told that to any of the fat people out of trying to spare their feelings and most likely already low self-esteem but i fear those days are gone.

you know, if fat people want to have their own rights as if they are some seperate type of person then maybe i should start viewing them exactly like that, as being different and not the same as me. you want it, you got it. /rant

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
christine wrote:
Khronos wrote:
hungry4more wrote:
I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race.

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement.

I can’t speak for hungry4more, but I interpreted his post to be that the disgust is with the people who attempt to equalize being fat (A CHOICE) with being born black, or gay, or blind… etc.

Umm…I never knew being Black was on the same level as being gay/blind/“special”. I see where you are coming from, however, I would choose my words a bit more carefully.
And yes, I’m in a very combative mood this morning!!! Insomnia is a bitch, and so is not getting paid right!!! LOL[/quote]

I knew someone would have a problem with this. Point is that you don’t choose to be black, hispanic, gay or blind; therefore, those classes are deserving of protection. Fat people shouldn’t be a protected class.

[quote]Anonymous Coward wrote:
superthrustjon wrote:
I had a client who I saw 3x a week at 40 bucks a session, and she told me she wasn’t going to quit smoking or stop eating the way she does. If I were paying 120 a week I would do what they guy says.

My friend trains a lady right now who got a program from another trainer somewhere, pretty much it’s just a circuit course on some Precor machines. She doesn’t want him to do anything, just follow her around and adjust the seat and weight for her. She’s hella-overweight and is trying to do “just enough” to keep her alive.

What motivates you to keep people like that as clients?
[/quote]

There’s only 2 things I think that could motivate him:
1)Money
2)The hope that they’ll decide to go all the way, and make a major transformation, and get him good publicity, and therefore more clients, and money. Just kidding…sort of.

I have an aunt who’s quite obese (300 lbs +/-), and I’ve explained to her all the basics of how to eat, and offered to train her myself, but she looks for any excuse she can not to (I can’t afford to buy all that “health food”, I don’t wanna get huge muscles, etc etc), and it’s really quite sad actually. She’s a nurse too…not sure how that works honestly.

[quote]christine wrote:
Beast27195 wrote:
christine wrote:
Khronos wrote:
hungry4more wrote:

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement.

I can’t speak for hungry4more, but I interpreted his post to be that the disgust is with the people who attempt to equalize being fat (A CHOICE) with being born black, or gay, or blind… etc.

Umm…I never knew being Black was on the same level as being gay/blind/“special”. I see where you are coming from, however, I would choose my words a bit more carefully.
And yes, I’m in a very combative mood this morning!!! Insomnia is a bitch, and so is not getting paid right!!! LOL

I knew someone would have a problem with this. Point is that you don’t choose to be black, hispanic, gay or blind; therefore, those classes are deserving of protection. Fat people shouldn’t be a protected class.
[/quote]

Well, gayness being a choice could be up for debate…I personally know people who used to be gay but aren’t anymore, but that’s a little off topic. I agree with the rest of course though…I think he’s just looking for a fight.

Yes and no, Hungry! LOL. I just found it odd that a race was lumped in with a choice or a handicap. And I was feeling a bit froggy this morning…DC traffic didn’t help calm me down, either! Christine, I do respect where you are coming from, though. I know what you’re trying to say. As for 781, once again, ignorance begets ignorance. I am guessing you were once an obese person who made the change at some point and are now lashing out at others due more so to self-loathing. As I stated before, I agreed with the overall mentality of the other posters, however, most of the folks here aren’t acting like asses and such.

We are getting our thoughts on here in respectful, sometimes obnoxious, manners. You, on the other hand, are acting more like an asshole. Long story short, in life, assholes have their days in the forefront, however, they all eventually have to look forward to getting fucked at some point. And you should also keep a dictionary or thesaurus on hand. Just a suggestion. Time for lunch!!! LOL

Anonymous Coward

It’s pretty much what Hungry4more said. Money. I care about the success of anyone I train, but the simple truth is not everyone is going to achieve their goals. I’m only with them a fraction of a percent of their lives, I can’t make them not eat ice cream at midnight or force them to come in when they call me a half hour before our session to cancel.

[quote]superthrustjon wrote:
You think that book is bad?

check this group out, it will blow your fucking mind.

National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Take a look at their stance on things like obesity research and diets.
http://www.naafa.org/documents/official/

I came across this group a while back and I couldn’t believe it. It’s pretty much telling fat people to give up on diets and exercise and just be happy being fat.[/quote]

I just read a lot of stuff from this site, and let me say that I am “frustrated.”

There are too many things that I can pick out and disprove about these fat bastards’ principles, so I won’t I suggest you read it for yourself instead.

-dizzle

[quote]Mr. Intensity wrote:
In the UK a few years ago obesity cost 2.5 billion a yera, with physical inactivity costing over 8 billion a year. I presume the figures for the USA are even higher. [/quote]

It ain’t necessarily so
It ain’t necessarily so
The t’ings dat yo’ li’ble
To read in de Bible,
It ain’t necessarily so.

Li’l David was small, but oh my !
He fought Big Goliath
Who lay down an’ dieth !

Wadoo, zim bam boddle-oo,
Hoodle ah da wa da,
Scatty wah !
Oh yeah !..

Oh Jonah, he lived in de whale,
Fo’ he made his home in
Dat fish’s abdomen.
Oh Jonah, he lived in de whale.

Li’l Moses was found in a stream.
He floated on water
Till Ol’ Pharaoh’s daughter,
She fished him, she said, from dat stream.

Wadoo …

Well, it ain’t necessarily so
Dey tells all you chillun
De debble’s a villun,
But it ain’t necessarily so !

To get into Hebben
Don’ snap for a sebben !
Live clean ! Don’ have no fault !
Oh, I takes dat gospel
Whenever it’s pos’ble,
But wid a grain of salt.

Methus’lah lived nine hundred years,
But who calls dat livin’
When no gal will give in
To no man what’s nine hundred years ?

I’m preachin’ dis sermon to show,
It ain’t nece-ain’t nece
Ain’t nece-ain’t nece
Ain’t necessarily … so !

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0050029&ct=1

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
bino wrote:

Does a fat person really drive up health care costs? There are studies coming out that say the exact opposite. The common conclusion being that leaner people tend to live longer, long enough to get really sick and need lots and lots of care that costs lots and lots of money. Fat people seem to cost more in the short run, but a lot less in the long run. So if you’re a hardcore economics based anti-fat person, you may need to adjust your position on this and decide if you’re more anti-fat or more anti-irresponsible social cost.

It seems the only people left whom it is socially acceptable to hate are fat people and atheists. If you’re a fat atheist–look out.

for every fat person that dies, there is another to take their place in the healthcare system. Would you rather your tax dollars (unjustifiably, paying for other’s healthcare is ludicrus)be spent on teh healthy individual who ends up with a sickness randomly or genetically they had no control over, or the fat piece of shit who never changed regaurdless of the obvious consequences.[/quote]

Hello Mr. Strawman. Nice to meet you. Say, you should be careful with that open flame, there… Oh! The Humanity!

[quote]bino wrote:
Mr. Intensity wrote:
In the UK a few years ago obesity cost 2.5 billion a yera, with physical inactivity costing over 8 billion a year. I presume the figures for the USA are even higher.

It ain’t necessarily so
It ain’t necessarily so
The t’ings dat yo’ li’ble
To read in de Bible,
It ain’t necessarily so.

He fought Big Goliath
Who lay down an’ dieth !

Wadoo, zim bam boddle-oo,
Hoodle ah da wa da,
Scatty wah !
Oh yeah !..

Fo’ he made his home in
Dat fish’s abdomen.
Oh Jonah, he lived in de whale.

He floated on water
Till Ol’ Pharaoh’s daughter,
She fished him, she said, from dat stream.

Wadoo …

Dey tells all you chillun
De debble’s a villun,
But it ain’t necessarily so !

To get into Hebben
Don’ snap for a sebben !
Live clean ! Don’ have no fault !
Oh, I takes dat gospel
Whenever it’s pos’ble,
But wid a grain of salt.

But who calls dat livin’
When no gal will give in
To no man what’s nine hundred years ?

I’m preachin’ dis sermon to show,
It ain’t nece-ain’t nece
Ain’t nece-ain’t nece
Ain’t necessarily … so !

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0050029&ct=1

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080204212858.htm[/quote]

Suggests…estimates… :slight_smile:

A little exerpt from the official documents on the NAAFA website reguarding dieting.

… National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance strongly discourages participation in
weight-reduction dieting. Further, NAAFA strongly condemns any diet marketing strategy based on guilt and fear. Such approaches cause untold suffering to fat people by ruining their self-esteem and by perpetuating negative stereotypes.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
streamline wrote:
I can’t believe someone would jump out a window without saving their childern first. Then get so self absorbed with their guilt that they indulge in food to the point of disgust. I would classify that as a self imposed mental problem that can be cured just like obesity. I guess the first part pretty much defined her character however, gets zero sympathy from me.

I’m not saying she deserves sympathy, but if you woke up in the middle of the night and your room was full of smoke and the bedroom door was too hot to touch, let alone open, you might have jumped out of the window and tried to get help too. Shit happens, and there but for the grace of God go I.[/quote]

Sorry, I’d go through the wall, but I do react different than most people. But there would be know way in hell I’d leave my kid behind. Having said that I do understand everyone react differently.

From the NAAFA front page:

“We come in all sizes…
Understand It
Support It
Accept It”

I almost laughed out loud at that.
“Understand it”…how could I not, I see fat people everywhere, and I understand physiologically how people get fat. Ok I’m down with that.
“Support it”…Why should I?
“Accept it”…Guess we can’t control anything in our lives, huh? Must stink to be them.

That would be like seeing a kid getting all F’s in school, and telling people he shouldn’t be made fun of, he just doesn’t do good by the teachers standards, they need to be more supportive and accepting; forget the fact that he doesn’t study at all, and plays with his pencil instead of listening during class. His laziness is not his fault, he was born like that. A few hundred years ago they had a place for people with issues like this to go…the unemployment line.

Here’s another gem from the NAAFA Policy:

PHYSICAL FITNESS

HISTORY/EXISTING CONDITION:

The President’s Council on Physical Fitness defines five components of fitness: cardio-respiratory or aerobic endurance; muscular strength; muscular endurance; flexibility; and body composition, or the ratio of fat-to-lean body mass. Despite the findings of the National Institutes of Health, reported in March 1992, that permanent weight loss is elusive for fat people and despite evidence that fat people who exercise can achieve impressive levels of cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility, fitness experts persist in believing that a person must have a low fat-to-lean body mass ratio in order to be considered fit.

As result, most fitness professionals promote weight loss and the achievement of an athlete’s conditioning as the primary goals of physical exercise. This focus on an elusive component of fitness ignores those components that are achievable through behavioral changes. Fat people are thus set up for failure in their attempts to achieve fitness and are discouraged from pursuing exercise to improve health, increase self-esteem, and reach higher levels of cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.

Body composition is an elusive component of fitness? Are you fucking kidding me? Body composition is maybe the least elusive component of fitness. You eat a lot and lift weights, you gain muscle, you eat less and lift weights, you lose fat. Pretty fucking elusive.

Every single day, people just like the members here at T-Nation prove this statement wrong by achieving non-elusive body composition goals, short-term and long-term. Elusive implies that this stuff is misunderstood and unattainable and that couldn’t be further from the truth. The body composition changes that people go through don’t happen by accident. Ever. Anyone that makes favorable changes in their ratio of fat:muscle had to work at it in one way or another.

This whole idea of this stuff being “elusive” is just a way for these fat fucks to sit on their ass all day and not have to care about even remotely attempting to be in shape anymore. This self-perpetuating bullshit about how these retards have “rights” is ridiculous.

And how is changing your body composition not due to behavioral changes? They’re trying to discredit getting lean by saying that it has nothing to do with behavioral changes! I’m not even going to go into that one.

I want to slap these people.

…I also want a NAAFA shirt.

-dizzle

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
Yes and no, Hungry! LOL. I just found it odd that a race was lumped in with a choice or a handicap. [/quote]

being blind is a choice?

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Beast27195 wrote:
Yes and no, Hungry! LOL. I just found it odd that a race was lumped in with a choice or a handicap.

being blind is a choice?

[/quote]

Beast is very confused. The only choice is being fat. The others aren’t.

These people are totally deranged.