'Fat Rights'

What’s the world coming to?

An assistant professor at my school has recently published this:

Fat Rights: Dilemmas of Difference and Personhood
here’s the link to amazon:

You can read the introduction free here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~akirklan/Introduction.pdf

Excerpt:

“Chapter 5 assesses the possibilities of our most recently enacted antidiscrimination law, the Americans with Disabilities Act, wondering what it might look like to consider fatness a disability…”

I mean, I can understand the beef that people have with being discriminated against by employers, but (and I’m sure this discussion has been tossed back and forth in forums before) I don’t see it as an characteristic you can’t affect like race, gender, or age. If I was an employer, I’d fight for my right to weigh the health insurance costs that are on average much higher for an obese person when considering who to hire.

Thoughts?

Here are your fat rights:

“You have the right to remain fat. However, you waiver the right to respect by invoking your right to be fat. Anything you say or due is subject to mockery and rudeness. You have the right to an attorney, even a fat one, though the chairs in the court room are still built to a reasonable standard to accomodate a reasonable non-fat human, which you clearly are not. Do you understand these rights, or has the fat clogged your auditory canals requiring a signer to translate via sign language? Blink once for yes, and twice for no.”

[quote]Asgardian wrote:

I mean, I can understand the beef that people have with being discriminated against by employers, but (and I’m sure this discussion has been tossed back and forth in forums before) I don’t see it as an characteristic you can’t affect like race, gender, or age. If I was an employer, I’d fight for my right to weigh the health insurance costs that are on average much higher for an obese person when considering who to hire.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, if employers in some states can choose not to hire a person who smokes (or fire employees that do) in order to keep health care costs down, I believe that they should be able to do the same to the fatties that can’t walk across the street. I resent that my health care costs are higher because of these people who CHOOSE to live unhealthy lifestyles.

I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race. It’s so sick and twisted, and a perfect example of Americans (and lazy people in general) doing whatever they can and must to avoid personal responsibility for their actions, or distinct lack thereof. sigh

While this does disgust me to a degree, it also is worth taking a different look at. I know several very large bodybuilders (some on this site, too) who have had trouble getting affordable health insurance due soley to the fact that they weight 240+ lbs, regardless of composition.

that is of course an issue with the method they use to determine obesity, not with the fact that fat ppl should be considered disabled

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
While this does disgust me to a degree, it also is worth taking a different look at. I know several very large bodybuilders (some on this site, too) who have had trouble getting affordable health insurance due soley to the fact that they weight 240+ lbs, regardless of composition.[/quote]

We can thank the trusty ole’ BMI for that shit.

They need to stop using the outdated BMI guidelines and actually measure bodyfat. Then they would stop penalizing muscular guys who happen to weigh more than averge for their height.

Back to the topic on hand: I don’t like the idea of fat rights. I don’t like support groups for “curvy women.” I don’t like people designing larger cars, chairs, and clothes to accomodate obese people.

Obesity is not something that ought to be condoned and enabled. It’s a very unhealthy state to be in. It opens the door to a host of other health issues. People who are obese need help getting healthy, they don’t need helpt to perpetuate their situation.

I’m not talking about someone 50lbs overweight either. I’m think about the woman I had to take home from the hospital after her heart attack. 895 pounds. We had to use a tarp and 10 people to get her up to her second floor apartment. No one should be enabled to get that obese. It needs to stop much earlier.

This is what would scare me. Working in a sky rise with lots of fat people when a fire breaks out and all the fat people are clogging up the stiars trying to catch their breath.

I’m glad to see everyone here agrees with me, I tried to come off as diplomatic as I could in the opening post, but this really bothers me too.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
While this does disgust me to a degree, it also is worth taking a different look at. I know several very large bodybuilders (some on this site, too) who have had trouble getting affordable health insurance due soley to the fact that they weight 240+ lbs, regardless of composition.[/quote]

thats a good point. i think theres a huuuuuuge difference between being a 240 professional (or even amateur) bodybuilder versus being a 240lb slob. youll also notice that while both groups (the slobs and the BBers) have had to do tremendous work to reach that weight and size, only the slob complains that he cant fit into normal size things. At least the bodybuilder understands he has made this choice and takes the good and bad. and yes, if youve eaten yourself up to 300lbs god damn it you made that choice, you can see that you have a problem and its your fault for nto being proactive about it.

why do fat people think they have rights like that? you arent born that way and it wasnt an accident that made you that way, you consciously did it. i hear that they try to say “well its a psychological thing…” bullshit. theres probaly one in a million people who honestly have some kind of condition that drives them to eat and eat and eat to the point where they would need professional help. even then if you can realize that you have a disorder or whatever you may call it to the point where you want the world to cry for you, then you are also capable of seeking proactive treatment. its that fucking simple. so fuck you all you fat bastards who have sued micdonalds and want everyone to feel bad for you. fuck off, you miserable cunts.

You think that book is bad?

check this group out, it will blow your fucking mind.

National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
http://www.naafa.org/

Take a look at their stance on things like obesity research and diets.
http://www.naafa.org/documents/official/

I came across this group a while back and I couldn’t believe it. It’s pretty much telling fat people to give up on diets and exercise and just be happy being fat.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race. [/quote]

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement.

[quote]Khronos wrote:
hungry4more wrote:
I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race.

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement. [/quote]

I can’t speak for hungry4more, but I interpreted his post to be that the disgust is with the people who attempt to equalize being fat (A CHOICE) with being born black, or gay, or blind… etc.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
While this does disgust me to a degree, it also is worth taking a different look at. I know several very large bodybuilders (some on this site, too) who have had trouble getting affordable health insurance due soley to the fact that they weight 240+ lbs, regardless of composition.

thats a good point. i think theres a huuuuuuge difference between being a 240 professional (or even amateur) bodybuilder versus being a 240lb slob. youll also notice that while both groups (the slobs and the BBers) have had to do tremendous work to reach that weight and size, only the slob complains that he cant fit into normal size things. At least the bodybuilder understands he has made this choice and takes the good and bad. and yes, if youve eaten yourself up to 300lbs god damn it you made that choice, you can see that you have a problem and its your fault for nto being proactive about it.

why do fat people think they have rights like that? you arent born that way and it wasnt an accident that made you that way, you consciously did it. i hear that they try to say “well its a psychological thing…” bullshit. theres probaly one in a million people who honestly have some kind of condition that drives them to eat and eat and eat to the point where they would need professional help. even then if you can realize that you have a disorder or whatever you may call it to the point where you want the world to cry for you, then you are also capable of seeking proactive treatment. its that fucking simple. so fuck you all you fat bastards who have sued micdonalds and want everyone to feel bad for you. fuck off, you miserable cunts.[/quote]

A bit rude 781, but I agree.

More importantly… WHO does that luscious ass in your avatar belong to???

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why do fat people think they have rights like that? you arent born that way and it wasnt an accident that made you that way, you consciously did it. i hear that they try to say “well its a psychological thing…” bullshit. theres probaly one in a million people who honestly have some kind of condition that drives them to eat and eat and eat to the point where they would need professional help. even then if you can realize that you have a disorder or whatever you may call it to the point where you want the world to cry for you, then you are also capable of seeking proactive treatment. its that fucking simple. so fuck you all you fat bastards who have sued micdonalds and want everyone to feel bad for you. fuck off, you miserable cunts.[/quote]

There was a woman in Petersburg VA, who got to 1200 pounds. Story was her house caught on fire in the middle of the night and she woke up and jumped out of the window to save herself. Her children died in the fire and naturally she was devastated and blamed herself. So she never left the house until she had gained 1100 pounds. She finally got help and has lost at least half of that.

I’m not making excuses for the morbidly obese, however I don’t see how anyone could allow themselves to get 500+ pounds and not be seriously fucked up in the head. But the really fucked up fatties aren’t the outspoken ones who push for ‘Fat Rights’ and claim that being fat is normal or sexy or anything else. They know they’re fucked up and don’t pretend otherwise.

EDIT: typo. I meant to say that the fucked up in the head variety areN’T the same as those advocating for special rights.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
There was a woman in Petersburg VA, who got to 1200 pounds. Story was her house caught on fire in the middle of the night and she woke up and jumped out of the window to save herself. Her children died in the fire and naturally she was devastated and blamed herself. So she never left the house until she had gained 1100 pounds. She finally got help and has lost at least half of that.

I’m not making excuses for the morbidly obese, however I don’t see how anyone could allow themselves to get 500+ pounds and not be seriously fucked up in the head. But the really fucked up fatties are the outspoken ones who push for ‘Fat Rights’ and claim that being fat is normal or sexy or anything else. They know they’re fucked up and don’t pretend otherwise.[/quote]

I think I agree with what you are getting at. There is a big difference between the 500 pound fatty that claims obesity is not a problem, and the 1200 pound woman that obviously has a mental disorder. While I am not excusing either, it is unfair to the woman to blame all of her problems on overeating when there is clearly some underlying problems causing the overeating. Some people turn to alcohol and drugs to cope with depression and other disorders, some become reclusive, and some become both reclusive and compulsive eaters.

It’s possible that she wanted to stop eating and get a normal life back long ago, and again I’m not saying it’s ok, but I don’t think she should be placed in the same category as the fatties at Walmart trying to push their agenda on the rest of us.

I’d rather hire a non-smoking fatty, than a fucking SMOKER who has to take a friggin’ butt break every 5 minutes.

[quote]Khronos wrote:
hungry4more wrote:
I can’t even describe the disgust I feel whenever people write stuff like this defending fat people as if they have their own race.

I don’t find “fatness” appealing in an aesthetic sense but I don’t see where that gives me the right to ridicule someone for being fat. Far too often people make jokes regarding fat people in an effort of self-aggrandizement. [/quote]

The first amendment gives you the right to ridicule someone. You don’t even need a good reason.

So none of you want to hire fat people?
Want a solution?

Go Global and outsource most of your jobs.