Fat Pets

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:
It’s actually a little known fact that canines evolved due to their ancestors role as corn farmers. In fact there have been documented cases of wolves tending to corn fields as much as 10k years before man took to farming. This is actually the origin of the ‘Three Wolf Moon’ as dogs have been using the moon phases to plan their crops for eons.[/quote]

The first time over I skimmed this (which is what I do for all avatar-less posts) and actually thought there was some legit trivia in there.

TooHuman’s reply automatically makes this a successful troll job, but if this totally awesome shirt is what you were referring to, then I’ll give this a 9/10.[/quote]

snort Now I know why people troll lol. I am killing myself =D I was ready to argue the point too.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
I don’t know why you asked for thoughts if you already had the answer in mind.

Here’s a good abstract:
Abstract
Animal (dog) factors that contribute to obesity are classified into three broad categories: genetic pre-disposition, reproductive management and dietary/exercise (human) management. This paper examined the latter?dietary/exercise (human) management. A quantitative analysis of questionnaire responses from dog owners and veterinarians was used to determine the routine care and obesity management strategies for dogs. A total of 550 questionnaires were distributed to dog owners in Victoria, Australia. Owners were asked to score the body condition of their animal by comparison with photographic images of animals with condition score ranging from 2 to 5. The management routines of 219 dog owners were received, including data on 302 dogs. There were 168 households with normal weight animals (BCS 2 and 3) and 51 with obese animals (BCS 4 and 5). The mean number of people per household (normally involved with caring for the animal(s)) with normal weight dogs was significantly lower than that of households with dogs categorised as overweight or obese (Kruskal?Wallis, Chi; χ2 = 6.28; 2.2 (s = 0.79) vs. 2.5 (s = 1.66); d.f. = 2, P < 0.05).

Dog owners identified a preference for main meal feeding of ?twice a day? (60%), followed by ?once daily? (33%), ?greater than or equal to three times daily? (2%), and ?always feed available? (5%). There was a significant difference (Chi; χ2 = 6.30; d.f. = 1; P < 0.05) in the frequency of main meal feeding between households. Normal weight animals had food divided into two portions, whereas obese animals or animals from mixed households were more often fed their meal in either one or three-plus portions. Almost all owners fed treats (99%) in the daily feed. Households with normal weight dogs gave treats significantly less frequently than households with obese or mixed weight dogs (Chi; χ2 = 31.81; d.f. = 6; P < 0.001). The frequency of exercise differed between households (Chi; χ2 = 9.9; d.f. = 1; P < 0.01), with normal weight dogs being exercised daily compared to weekly for overweight or mixed weight dogs. Owners who indicated that their dog was confined to a yard as its exercise regime rather than walked were also significantly more likely to be an obese or mixed weight household (Chi; χ2 = 18.4; d.f. = 1; P < 0.001). In conclusion, there is clear evidence that obesity in dogs is affected by the interrelationships between food management, exercise and social factors.

Dog obesity: Owner attitudes and behaviour
I.M. Bland, , A. Guthrie-Jones, R.D. Taylor, J. Hill
School of Agriculture and Food Systems, Faculty of Land and Food Resources, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia

I would also argue that your chart didn’t go far enough back and you’re trying to make a correlation between canine obesity and grain but you’ve not provided evidence that grain intake has increased.

james[/quote]

Open up discussion. Seem if I’m completely off my rocker or if there is real merit. Will check out the rest of your reply in a second.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

I would also argue that your chart didn’t go far enough back and you’re trying to make a correlation between canine obesity and grain but you’ve not provided evidence that grain intake has increased.

james[/quote]

Very fair point and I acknowledged that when anonym brought it up.

thanks for your study info above. Interesting, and makes perfect sense, but again what explains the above graph? Granted, again it’s just correlation, and maybe grain consumption did not increase, but can we also assume that neither over-feeding or less exercise were factors?

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:
It’s actually a little known fact that canines evolved due to their ancestors role as corn farmers. In fact there have been documented cases of wolves tending to corn fields as much as 10k years before man took to farming. This is actually the origin of the ‘Three Wolf Moon’ as dogs have been using the moon phases to plan their crops for eons.[/quote]

The first time over I skimmed this (which is what I do for all avatar-less posts) and actually thought there was some legit trivia in there.

TooHuman’s reply automatically makes this a successful troll job, but if this totally awesome shirt is what you were referring to, then I’ll give this a 9/10.[/quote]

snort Now I know why people troll lol. I am killing myself =D I was ready to argue the point too.
[/quote]

LOL, I skimmed it too and replied, fell for it. After I reread it I could tell she was not serious, but this is the internet you never know :wink:

regardless of whether wheat and corn is the problem, dogs and cats should not be eating ANY wheat or corn it’s not their natural diet in anyway.

[quote]debraD wrote:

I’m at a loss for words due to the surprise and funniness of this.

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
regardless of whether wheat and corn is the problem, dogs and cats should not be eating ANY wheat or corn it’s not their natural diet in anyway.[/quote]

Domesticated animals have a diet that corresponds to whatever we (humans) feed them so when you talk about “natural diet” it really doesn’t make sense.

james

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
regardless of whether wheat and corn is the problem, dogs and cats should not be eating ANY wheat or corn it’s not their natural diet in anyway.[/quote]

So the question is, will something that is not part of a the natural diet cause problems? I would say most likely yes.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

Domesticated animals have a diet that corresponds to whatever we (humans) feed them so when you talk about “natural diet” it really doesn’t make sense.

james[/quote]

What she is getting at is, up until what say 1920’s dogs never ate “dog food”

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

james[/quote]

What she is getting at is, up until what say 1920’s dogs never ate “dog food”[/quote]

But were they commonly kept indoors as pets like they are now, or were they more used as “workers” to help hunt, herd animals, keep away rodents/pests, ect?

Maybe the question is, should we be keeping animals as indoors “pets” at all?

I would bet that much like people, animals have become much more sedentary over the years, and that coupled with sedentary owners who overeat/over feed them is the main culprit here.

I would be interested to see this data charted against the number of pets “fixed” during the same time period. Perhaps people are neutering their animals more often for some reason and it’s reflected here.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
I would be interested to see this data charted against the number of pets “fixed” during the same time period. Perhaps people are neutering their animals more often for some reason and it’s reflected here. [/quote]

damn that Bob Barker :wink:

our female Dane got fixed after she was maybe 2 yrs old and had a litter. she didn’t seem to gain weight.

Then again, I also fed her Pedigree shit the first few years and she was not obese either, damn my logic is gone

It is the lifestyle of the owners.

I had a pet terrier when I was in school that I gave to my parents when I went into the military. He was always lean and in shape when I had him (I walked him daily morning and night and used that as my “cardio”).

Fast forward to now, he has cushing’s syndrome, is hugely overweight (looks like a walking mop with diabetes) and coughs constantly.

Yes, it is also diet related…but lazy people have fat pets.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I had a pet terrier when I was in school that I gave to my parents when I went into the military. He was always lean and in shape when I had him (I walked him daily morning and night and used that as my “cardio”).

Fast forward to now, he has cushing’s syndrome, is hugely overweight (looks like a walking mop with diabetes) and coughs constantly.

Yes, it is also diet related…but lazy people have fat pets.[/quote]

Crazy you mention cushing’s, I’ve had a few people tell me their dog has that too.

I’m lazy, my dog is not fat though :wink:

But I hear ya, it makes sense.

Meh we have whole careers created to house and save the over abundance of pets in the US. They cant live forever.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Meh we have whole careers created to house and save the over abundance of pets in the US. They cant live forever. [/quote]

But, what if they could… Pet Semetary anyone

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Meh we have whole careers created to house and save the over abundance of pets in the US. They cant live forever. [/quote]

But, what if they could… Pet Semetary anyone[/quote]

Not going to wreck your thread, but the matter is we have bigger problems in this world than Fido being a fat ass and dying a year sooner.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Not going to wreck your thread, but the matter is we have bigger problems in this world than Fido being a fat ass and dying a year sooner.

Carry on. Nothing to see here. [/quote]

Of course there are bigger problems out there, but I really don’t know what else to say. I’m guessing you’re not a dog guy? Or maybe you are… or maybe you haven’t lost an animal before it’s time due to reasons that shouldn’t have caused the issue in the first place.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Yes, it is also diet related…but lazy people have fat pets.[/quote]

I think it’s more diet related than exercise related but I’m basing that off my limited experience and off of two specific breeds.

Both my Dane and Saint are/were (RIP Atlas) really lean but spend most of the time sleeping. My f’ing Saint will literally need to be pushed off of my bed and tries his hardest to head back to the car after 5 minutes of walking. Atlas loved to play but he much preferred to lay in the sun. My point is that neither were particularly active but stayed lean simply through diet alone.

Both were fixed so I did not see a correlation there.

james

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. Nothing to see here. [/quote]

Of course there are bigger problems out there, but I really don’t know what else to day. I’m guessing you’re not a dog guy? Or maybe you are… or maybe you haven’t lost an animal before it’s time due to reasons that shouldn’t have caused the issue in the first place.
[/quote]

Im 40 years old I have raised dogs my whole life, have 2 now, BUT I also grew up on a farm and a dog was a tool, not the love of my life. I love them when they are here, but I move on and replace when they are gone.