Fat people suck

OK, follow me on this and let me know if I’m right or not. Basically on a hypocaloric diet, you’re not legitimately eating enough to support your muscular bodyweight (in other words, you can probably support fat stores but not muscle cells). As mentioned somewhere on this site (sorry I can’t even find it anymore) that we as humans have developed the tendency to store fat in the crisis that we do not know when our next meal is coming. So unless if the people at hand are actually eating 5-6+ meals a day to parition the calories, they are basically starving themselves between meals. Of course, starving ourselves leads to decreases in protein synthesis. The result would be our bodies first going towards glycogen stores in the blood and liver to get some kind of nourishment going. Since the amount of muscle on our bodies dictates how well our metabolisms function, in order to survive, the body will eventually exhaust its glycogen stores and resort to metabolizing muscle tissue if in fact we continue to not eat. Fat on the other hand has more calories per gram than either protein or carbohydrates and storing for future utilization therefore would be a more optimal way of staying alive when starving. I’m not saying that fat wouldn’t be burned as well in the event of actual starvation, but then again these people are not completely starving themselves either. They’ve just reprogrammed their bodies to the point where they have to adjust to eating less food and less frequently (just an assumption on this one). The typical result would be the excess storing of fat and a decreased metabolism (which also comes from the result of catabolism stricken muscles). Now if they excercised it would be nearly a completely different story since exercise requires a heightened metabolism to initiate repairs to damaged cells. Am I wrong in saying this? Or am I way off? If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

CHRIS BRADY: I AGREE WITH YOU. ALL OTHER POSTERS, U MAKE UR POINT. HOWEVER THE FACT THESE PEOPLE ARE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING SOMETING AS DAMAGING AND UNHEALTHY AS OBESITY, WHICH LEADS TO THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF DEATH IN THE U.S. - HEART ATTACKS AND RELATED DISEASES- IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO GET A GUY RILED UP. IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING WRONG OR RIGHT - IT'S ABOUT BEING PISSED AT THE UNHEALTHY AND DESTRUCTIVE ACTIONS BEING CARRIED OUT BY THIS PARTICULAR GROUP OF PEOPLE. 
 MUCH THE SAME WAY ID BE SPITTING FIRE IF SOMEONE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGED MY KIDS IN THE FUTURE TO MAKE IT A HABIT OF DRINKING RECKLESSLY BEFORE DRIVING, IM SPITTING FIRE ABOUT THESE FAT ASSES WHO ENCOURAGE OBESITY - NOTICE I DDNT SAY FAT ASSES; I SAID FAT-ASSES-WHO-ENCOURAGE-OBESITY. IF U DRINK BEFORE U DRIVE U MAY NOT GET KILLED- EVER. DOES THAT MEAN IT'S SAFE AND SHOULD BE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGED? NO. TRUTH IS DRINKING AND DRIVING LEADS TO ONE OF THE TOP CAUSES OF DEATH IN THE U.S., AND SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED. OBESITY ISNT A FACT OF LIFE FOR MOST PEOPLE UNTIL THEY START EATING RECKLESSLY. FO SOME IT COMES EASIER AND AT AN EARLIER AGE, IM SORRY IF U HAVE WORSE THAN AVERAGE GENETICS. HOWEVER IT CAN KILL YOU - JUST LIKE DRINKING AND DRIVIN CAN KILL YOU OVER TIME. THESE PEOPLE ARE ADVOCATING A LIFESTYLE THAT CAUSES DEATH AND BLINDNESS FOR MANY AMERICANS EACH YEAR. AGAIN, IM SORRY FOR YOUR BAD CARDS, BUT ITS YOUR PLAY, AND U BETTER BE SMART ABOUT WHAT U DO. FEEL FREE TO SCREW UP, BUT WHEN YOU DO DONT  GIVE ME THAT STEELY PISSED GAZE WHEN I POLITELY TELL U MY KIND OF GIRL IS 5'6 UNDER 140 LBS. IT'S A FACT- DEAL WITH IT. 

WHEN IT COMES TO THE FAT ACTIVISTS, MY ATTITUDE ISNT JUST THE POLITE 'SORRY,IM NOT INTERESTED', OR EVEN THE OCCASIONAL LIE 'IVE ALREADY GOT A GIRLFRIEND', BECAUSE I DO KNOW U HAVE FEELINGS AND I DONT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU FEELING EVEN WORSE. I AM GONNA BE SPITTIING FIRE, AND UR GONNA BE CALLED A FAT LAZY LARD ASS SOMABITCH WHO COULDNT GET LAID IF HE HIRED A WHORE TO JACK HIM.
 MUCH LIKE THEY'RE APPALLED AT THE FACT THAT SOMEONE WOULD THINK OF SELLING FOOD THAT ISNT GOOD FOR YOUR DIET, AND THAT AIRLIINES MAKE MONEY EXCLUSIVELY ON A SOLD-SEATS BASIS, I AM APPALLED SOMEONE WOULD ENCOURAGE A LIFESTYLE THAT ACTUALLY DOES KILL AMRICANS, INSTEAD OF SIMPLY INCONVENIENCE THEM. AND I AM FURIOUS ABOUT THE FACT THAT SIMPLY BECAUSE UR A DUM FUCKIN IZASSIZOLE WHO DOESNT KNOW CRAP ABOUT DIET, U GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO DISCOURAGE ANY TYPE OF DIETING AND MANAGE TO CONVINCE MANY AN AVERAGE AMERICAN TO EVENTUALLY LIVE YOUR UNHEALTHY LIFESTYLE. A HEALTHY LIFE FREE OF BLINDNESS, AMPUTATIONS, UNNECESARY DEATH, AND LOW SELF-CONFIDENCE ARE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAT A PAIR OF FUCKIN TICKETS AND THE FACT THAT SOME DUMASS CHOSE TO OFFER YOU A SERVICE THT CONSISTS OF MAKING YOU A PREPARED SANDWICH  THAT ISNT GOOD FOR YOU IN EXCHNGE FOR YOUR MONEY - NOTICE THE EXCHANGE PART, WHICH IMPLIES ITS UR CONSCIOUS CHOICE TO FREELY DO SO, AND ITS ASSUMED AND EXPECTED OF YOU THAT U EDUCATED YOURSELF IN UR PURCHASE. 
IF THAT DOSNT AFFECT ME DIRECLY, MAYBE ITLL AFFECT MY KID. AND I DONT WANT MY KID TO BE A FAT KID WITH DIABETES WHO GOES BLIND AT AGE FOURTY BECAUSE HE DEVELOPED INSULIN RESISTANCE FROM CARB SNACKING AND NEEDS HIS LEGS AMPUTATED BECAUSE HE'S JUST SO GODAMN FAT. U SEE, I DONT LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE SUFFER, MUC LESS SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME. THERES ALWAYS A REASON BEHIND A NATURAL TENDENCY TO DISLIKE SOMETHING. SIMPLY PUT, FAT KILLS AGAIN AND AGAIN, AND UR GONA HAVE TO REALIZE THAT, AND DEAL WITH IT SO IT DOEST KILL U IF UR A NATURAL FAT ASS. FAT KILLS. ITS A FACT. IT MAY NOT KILL YOUI, BUT ITLL KILL SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD. IT STILL KILLS REGARDLESS OF ITS VICTIMS.

TO ALL GIRLS: CONGRATULATIONS IF U CAN KICK MY ASS AND BEAT ME AT THE GYM- SERIOUSLY. OBVIOSLY U HAVENT GOTTEN A CLUE THAT WE AS GUYS WANT SOMEONE MORE FRAGILE THAN US THAT WE CAN PROTECT. IF WE WANTED SOME BIG ASS CHICK, ALL THE LOLITAS WOULD HVE BEEN WIPED OUT LONG AGO FROM EXISTENCE - ITS CALLED NATURAL SELECTION. ITS NOT THAT WE DONT RSPECT YOUR ACCOMPLIHMENTS OR YOU AS A PERSON. ITS THAT WE'RE APPALLED THAT UD THINK WE AS GUYS WOULD BE INTRESTED IN THAT TYPE OF PACKAGE! NOW THAT UR ALL RILED UP AGAINST ME FEEL FREE TO SAY I DISGRACE TESTOSTERONE AND SHOULD HAND IN MY FREE TEE BACK. MUCH LIKE IM FREE TO SAY I GET FUCKING DISGUSTED AND EMBARRASSED WHEN A FAT CHICK BIGGER THAN ME HITS ON ME AND WANTS TO TAKE ME HOME. IF I WANTED A BIG PIECE OF MEAT ID HAVE TURNED GAY LOOOOOOONG AGO! IT AINT HAPPNIN THOUGH!

JEFF: YES, WHEN YOUR BODY DOESNT GET ITSNOURISHMENT, IT WILL USUALLY RESORT TO USING ITS GLYCOGEN STORES FIRST-THIS IS SPECIALLY TRUE IF UR ON A MODERATE-HIGH CARB DIET, AND MUCH MORE SO IF THESE ARE MOSTLY REFINED AND PROCESSED CARBS FOUND IN SWEETENED CEREALS AND CANDY. HOWEVER, ONCE THESE STORES ARE EMPTIED OUT, TE BODY WILL RESORT TO USING FAT AS ITS PRIMARY FUEL , WITH SOME MUSCLE LOSS OCURRING ALONG THE WAY. FROM A SURVIVAL STANCE, U WANT TO USE FAT BEFORE U US MUSCLE. IF YOU’RE TOO WEAK, YOU WONT BE ABLE TO CATCH THAT FISH OR THAT GODDAMN FUCKING PPIG THAT JUST RAN BY YOU WITH A ROOSTER, AND ULL MISS DINNER. IN AN ARTICLE BY JB IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, IT WAS MENTIONED A GROUP OF ACTIVISTS WENT ON A 40 DAY HUNGER STRIKE. THE STUDY SHOWED THAT MOST IF NOT ALL WEIGHT HAD BEEN FAT IF UR ORIGINAL BF LEVELS WERE AS HIGH AS 16-20 %. UR METABOLISM WILL STILLSLW DOWN HOWEVER, AS A SURVVAL MECHANISM. U DONT NEED TO LOSE MUSCLE TO INDUCE THIS SLOW-DOWN.
THE FACT THESE FAT ASSES KEEP ON PACKING FAT POINTS OUT TO ONE OBVIOUS FACT: THEY’RE EATING MORE THAN THEY EXPEND. AGAIN, IM SORRY IF YOUR BODY AS SUC A LOW METABOLISM THAT IT ONLY BURNS 2 CALORIES PER LB OF LEAN MASS,BUT ITS LIFE. AND U HAVE TO ADJUST TO IT. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Taking as much math as I do, being a fat teenager before, I think I have a right say something. When I was a fat teenager, I don’t think I EVER exceeded about 22% Body fat. My activities? Watching TV, doing homework, eating, watching some more TV. Was I fat? Hell yes. Was I lazy? You better believe it. Did I know this? No. I was not AWARE that it was my lifestyle that was making me this fat.

Now, being ~22% teenager, when in the high school changeroom, an ugly, tall, Persian basketball player in my grade said, “Igor, you are a FAT BITCH!”, when I had my shirt off. I wasn’t THAT fat, so I was surprised at his words.

Harsh words? Yes. But I realized he was right, that I WAS a “fat bitch”, to some extent. That summer, without ANY dieting knowledge, without ANY weight lifting, I lost over 25 pounds, mostly fat, in about two months. How? I was playing tennis with my friends for about 2 hours a day, nearly every day. I was eating a small amount of food if and only if I FELT hungry. I drank plenty of water. The final touch was that I stopped eating food after about 8pm and didn’t eat anything until breakfast. Was it a good diet/training plan? No. Do you really need to be clever to figure that out? FUCK NO!!! Does it work! Damn hell ass yes! The point is, even the lack of education about dieting IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE.

Anyway, that changed, and I’m 16% BF at 19 years of age. Not fantastic, but I don’t think I look bad.

Even when I was fat, I never had a protruding stomach, I never had trouble running or doing 10 pushups and 30 situps. What I do NOT understand is how some FAT FUCK can ALLOW HIMSELF to get his ass up to 30+% BODY FAT and not “be able” to do a thing about it! We CAN place the blame on the fat loss industry. We CAN place the blame on the fast food industry. I place the blame on the fat people themselves and lack of will power and/or education. See, these people that say they blow their ass trying to get skinny basically go into the gym, work their ass off on the cardio machines for a week, and then GIVE UP. I did TWO HOURS of what could be considered HIIT every single day for TWO MONTHS, and didn’t “burn out”, except “burn off” the lard.

Ok, I consider myself a “normal” person. A “normal” person (male, anyway), when they’re told “hey buddy, you’re FAT!” will do the following:

1. find out they really are fat!
  2. get dissatisfied with own appearance
  3. eat less
  4. incorporate some exercise into their life and lose some weight
  5. try to educate themselves about basic weight loss ways and make even more progress
  6. from here, they will maintain their weight in the normal (10-20) range

This no-brain approach will get most people below 20% body fat, which is in the normal (ie. not fat, not skinny) range (10-20%).

An obese person, IMHO doesn’t have proper reasoning skills. You tell an obese person they’re fat, they do this:
  7. get pissed off
  8. refuse to accept the fact that they’re “really” fat and think that you are a “mean person” for calling them fat.
  9. once they realize they really ARE fat, they get depressed and eat food
  10. once they realize they’re eating too much food which is causing them to get fat, they incorporate some cardio into their life
  11. they hit the cardio too hard and burn out, then come home to eat a tub of ice cream. Back to #1.

I believe that obesity, more than anything, is a psychological disorder in many cases. Think about it. A normal man/woman would NEVER allows him/herself to go over about 25% body fat. They would control their diet, plop down to about 23, then maybe eat again and go back to 25%. It takes a special kind of mind to be able to ignore what you see in the MIRROR so COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY to be able to shift yourself to stunning 40+% body fat! I mean, come ON, tell me that that person has a healthy mind.

Obviously there are exceptions. Diabetics. Childbearing women. People with deadly diseases. I can’t think of any other decent excuse.

Thank you, Kia, you skinny, ugly fuck, for calling me a fat bitch. You’re one of the rieasons I turned my life around. Too bad for you that I lost weight whereas you’ll always be a stupid, ugly fuck. :smiley:

You know, I really wish about half of you guys would shut the hell up. I’m not perfect, but I’m a lot better off than I once was. I’m 5’3’’ and a good amount over 130, so by many of your definitions, I’m fat enough to take this personally.

Everyone, or at least the majority of people, know that being obese is unhealthy; so is smoking, drinking, tanning, etc. But people make the choice to do one thing or another. These websites do not promote being obese, having diabetes or having heart problems.

For me to have gotten to a point where I cared enough about myself, about my health, and the way I looked, I first had to like myself. Other people often have to do the same, and if that comes from FAAFA, then so be it.

Some of you may have needed to change your bodies BEFORE you could begin to like yourselves, but why is it so hard to accept that someone else might be different? For someone to comepletely change their lifestyle, they need a LOT of motivation. You all know that eating right and working out is a choice - and you need to have the willpower to make it. If someone came on to this forum and told you all to shut up, you're stupid for training, blah blah, how much would you really listen?

If you want to help people, there are ways of accomplishing that, but you all just sound like you want to make fun of people. Does it make you feel superior that you work out? Good, because your posts make you sound like superficial morons with nothing else to offer. Those fat girls you're complaining about didn't do anything wrong when they hit on you guys except unnecessarily stroke your too-big egos.

A good number of T-Mag readers, as well as some of the writers (Chris Shugart included) used to be overweight. Yes, you've all found the willpower and motivation to change, but how many years did you spend eating McDonalds before you made that change? Some of the people over at FAAFA may decide that they want to change; or they might not--it really isn't any of your concern. If they do make that change and find their way here, would you turn them away? You all seem to mock what you once were.

Bottom line is, I really don't know why you bother to "enlighten these fat activist pork beasts". If they're such beasts, why do you care? But don't worry, I'll tell my less-than-perfect friends not to hit on anyone anymore, and maybe I should fill my boyfriend in that I'm too fat to be attractive to him, since he works out. (note the sarcasm)

When you all signed up as T-Men, you took an oath. If you've forgotten it, you swore the following: "I will, to the best of my abilities, pursue learning and the truth. I will strive to have honor, integrity, and courage, and to fight righteous battles when necessary and in short, have the huge, metal-clanging balls of a real T-man."

You should be standing up for those you consider weaker than yourselves, not mocking them. They way you're acting bespeaks neither honor nor integrity, and mocking others over the internet is act of cowardice if ever there was one.

Nice job, T-Men.

Okay, you’re right about fat having more energy per gram than either protein or carbs. Butthat fact doesn’t really have anything to do with what the body uses for energy.

The body has a preferential system for what it uses to fuel itself. In order, it’s carbs, fat, protein. So in the absence of carbs, it will use fat; in the absence of both, it will finally turn to catabolizing its own muscle.

This is the reason that ketogenic diets are effective for lots of people. If you take out the carbs, the body will then go into ketosis: i.e., burn fat for its fuel. If it burned protein instead, ketogenic diets wouldn’t work - but they do.

You said: "Basically on a hypocaloric diet, you’re not legitimately eating enough to support your muscular bodyweight (in other words, you can probably support fat stores but not muscle cells). " Again, you will burn fat before muscle. So no, this isn’t right.

You said: “As mentioned somewhere on this site (sorry I can’t even find it anymore) that we as humans have developed the tendency to store fat in the crisis that we do not know when our next meal is coming.” Not really. What happens is that the metabolism slows way down, thus conserving ALL body mass insofar as possible. However, you don’t store fat at the expense of, or in preference to, protein. As Diesel pointed out in his scream above, that wouldn’t make any sense at all. Why have a load of fat with no muscle to move it around? (Unless you’re one of those FAAFA people, of course…)

Finally, although it may not make sense to you in an abstract, scientific way, empirical evidence with concentration camp victims, etc. who have been subjected to extreme calorie deprivation shows that they end up being only muscle and bone - not an ounce of fat on them. So that’s a real-world test that shows the preference in action.

Hope this helps.

Don’t waste your time preaching to the ignorant. NAAFA is a group that would rather live in denial and whine about how everyone should “accept” them and go out of their way to accomodate them instead of them taking personally responsibility & making lifestyle changes improve their quality of life.

But then again, I’m just a brainwashed neanderthal, so what do I know? Well, I know that I don’t need a sponge on a stick to wipe my ass…

“Oh but for the grace of God, go I.”

I can’t help feeling poorly for many obese people. Although I have always been a stick, there are many members of my family that are considered obese and they dont eat anything close to what would justify their size.

Although I truely believe people have genetic predispositions to being obese, such as height, color of eyes etc I cant help but the blame the media in part. I rarely watch television, but when I do I realize the vast amount of misinformation made available. Combine that with the BS you’ll get from your GP and that will result in many people wanting to help themselves without sound information. It’s frustrating.

Even t-mag which has many great articles has some that completely dont work for certain people. The solution isnt as simple as you may believe.

Ah yes, this makes better sense now. I guess I should’ve considered the ketogenic diets first. And yes, the concentration camp victims not having bodyfat does make sense to me. =) In any regard it’s back to the starting point in learning this all over again for me. Thanks guys for your help. And dude, Diesel turn off the caps lock.

I am going to present basically the same article and point of view that I gave on the smoking in Tokyo thread. As in my original post earlier I really don?t care what people do with there life?s and I still blush when any girl hits on me fat or skinny so I am not a big cocky grunt… Well maybe not very cocky? but back to the issue. As most of you know I live in Nebraska the same place as mr.cold and a few other t-men. Nebraska, Omaha in general is one of the countries most obese cities in the nation. Now I here both from the smokers side and the obese side that ?it is none of my business to impede on the rights? or say anything, and normally I would agree with them but I have a VERY HUGE problem with paying radically high health insurance do to the drain these groups put on our health system. Now smokers do pay a higher premium for health insurance but I don?t see them growing organs for replacements in Gerber jars for the ones they use for transplants. I ?ME… have to pay for there life styles in the end… we all do. So just like in my smokers post I no longer call it health insurance but I call it Darwin Taxes. The fee that I pay for society to assist those that evolution would of already passed by. Now I am NOT by any means going to smash some girl for hitting on me or tell a complete stranger there fat… I don?t care enough too… but if you take a look at most of the post and read the from a subjective view, you will see that most of us have taken the time to bust out the math and look at obesity from a scientific view. AND HERE IS THE SAD PART- most of the posters on this thread… who have done the math for cals and etc… Have just done more contemplating and more logical reasoning about obesity then most obese people do there whole life time. (of course that is just a assumption)

vixie, you’re completely right. I sincerely thank you for gracing us with your insight, which so few here seem to deserve. To the others, if your lifestyle is truly bettter, or if you at least see it as truly better, then how are you helping those not of your lifestyle to “see the light”? I would also assume that no one here would be so insensitive as to make fun of others’ medical conditions that are out of their control, but I feel that in this case, the inherent problems in assuming are relevant.

Darwin taxes! Pure genius! You the grunt…grunt.

I don’t have anything against fat girls hitting on me. MORE WOMAN FOR YOU TO LOOOOOVE. Fat people are ok, and I mean, you can’t really blame anyone for being just fat. I mean, most of us have someone at least in our family who is “fat”.

OBESE people are a different, pathetic story. They’re simply people who are lacking something in the head that says, “Damn, I’m fat…I need to control my eating and exercise”.

I just don’t understand how it’s possible for someone to get that massive. I suppose that if I did, I’d be have to be obese first. Sort of like if you understood how gay people can get turned on by getting a dick up their ass, you’d probably have to be gay first. Maybe it’s a sour analogy, but it works for me.

You are an ass-lick…

I ALMOST did not post on this message, but after reading some of the posts, I am outraged, and emberassed for some of the T-Maggers here. It takes alot to get me mad, but I can’t believe the “I am a ripped bodybuilder, so I am better than you attitude!” As most of you know I am a 270lbs Powerlfiter. I am 6’1 And have a body fat of right around 19%-Not real bad. But I know and train some very Obese people. Alot of them work hard, and are trying there hardest to lose weight. My mom is one of those women I am training, that is over weight, and if I ever caught one of you pencil necked 200lbs benching geeks ripping on her in person, it would be the last time you ripped on anybody. I guess I could start a post titled “I hate people who can’t squat 700lbs” and most of you would fit nicely into that category. I am usually VERY non confrontational, (even though I used to be a Golden Gloves Champ as well as a PL) but this post was just irritating me to no end.

Ok, my mom is ~35% but she still looks pretty good. It’s not just because she’s my mother…I mean, compare her to any other 50 year old woman or even 40-year old woman and she looks far better. The thing is, she has never tried to justify her being fat or blamed other people for it. She has a strong enough personality to be fat, look good, and nevetheless really respect herself as a person.

Lamentably, going through a divorce, moving to Canada, looking for a job, studying, finding a job and now finally trying to hang onto a job, etc have not been good to her belly. Since my training is finally picking up, I’ve taken it upon myself to educate her in the ways of the BB-er (balance of diet, weightlifting, cardio). I’ve taken her to the gym with me several times and showed her a basic weight-lifting routine. I believe that in a few months or so she’ll be able to make great progress with some help.

I respect anyone who’s willing to change enough that they take it upon themselves to do so.

I don’t understand one thing: How the obese people can allow themselves to become obese.

TRUE: The obese people that decide to change are probably the hardest working people, as you state. I can see, accept, and respect this.

ALSO TRUE: These people have allowed themselves to become obese. They were not the hardest working people. They were either lazy, gluttons, or both. Being fat is excusable; Being obese just isn’t. Sorry.

Nevertheless, I respect the fact that you have taken it upon yourself to train obese people. I’m glad that for once these people are getting the training/diet advice they DESERVE, ie. from a T-magger. I wish them and your mother all the best, and hope they get ripped, rugged, and dense, within the following years. I know it WILL happen, because they’re being trained by one of the best.

Thank you for the compliment. At least you have thought this obesity thing through. Unlike many who just sling mud, when they have many weaknesses themselves, you make valid points. It is painfully obvious to many who are obese, that they were at one time or another “Lazy” I am happy to be helping these people not just lose weight, but to teach them a fitness lifestyle. Anyone could wire there mouths shut, and make them do cardio, and they will lose weight(Muscle and fat) but to teach them to help themselves, is the ideal honorable endeavor. Thanks

People are what people are. If they are fit, fat, or obese for the most part it’s their choice. What bugs me about NAAFA is the acceptance part. We know that smoking, abuse of alcohol and other drugs, and a whole list of other things are unhealthy for you. Some of these other things kill almost as many people a year as obesity.

Is there a group seeking acceptance for heroin addiction or alcoholism? How many people are fighting for the acceptance of their chosen method of slow motion suicide besides the morbidly obese? Is enabling the behavior and accepting the results of a very poor lifestyle choice really showing care for your fellow human?

I don’t think being “nice” and “accepting” are doing these folks any favors. Sure, they’ll feel better emotionally but when your heart is in danger of stopping your emotional state comes in a distant second place. Ridicule isn’t a viable solution and acceptance sure isn’t helping. Something in between might be better.

As most of you know, I live in Japan. With this issue, as with so many others, being here has given me a different perspective.

When I go home, I notice the (increasing) number of fat people around me. It stands out, because there are fewer of them here. Not that we don’t have a fair number of Americans here; we do. But a strange thing happens when they sign a contract to come teach (or whatever) in Japan for a year. If a person is fat when s/he gets here, a year later (that year being more or less bereft of Burger King, etc.) s/he’s slimmed down.

Kind of makes you wonder. Especially since their mental/medical status presumably hasn’t changed that much in the interim.

I agree with powerlifter that the road best travelled is one on which you help someone else improve him- or herself. And I am always willing to give advice. At the same time, there comes a point (probably sooner for those in the T-Nation than for most) where you get sick of hearing excuses. And that can make one a bit, well, testy.

Still, anyone who rips on someone for expressing a sexual interest in them isn’t much of a human being, IMHO. Get over yourself. (This goes for both men AND women.)
To vixie: Damn, that was a great post! You’ve got my respect - I don’t care what you look like.

Finally: “Darwin Taxes”?!??!!! Hilarious!