T Nation

Fat or Water Weight?

I am curious as to what the signs of water weight are. My arms, shoulders, and legs are pretty damn lean but i am rather chubby around my midsection and im not sure whether it is more fat or water weight and what to do if it is water weight.

You can usually tell if its water weight if your weight fluctuates by 5-10 lbs daily and your level of leaness changes (gets softer) from morning to night(or day to day).

It is fat. Lose it.

“Chubby around midsection” should be your first clue.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
It is fat. Lose it.

“Chubby around midsection” should be your first clue.[/quote]

LOL Yes. Yes it is. Constipation may cause some bloating. But if you’re lean all around except your inner tube, as am I, then it is blubber.

yah dude you just store your fat on your stomach which is fairly common among men so get on the low carb train and hit those heavy ass weights if you wanna lose that spare tire!

Yeah you might be overestimating how much “water weight” you are actually carrying around…really your weight should only fluctuate by like what elusive said, 5-10 lbs…and water weight isnt concentrated in one area like fat. I’m the same way right now - i’m at least somewhat defined everywhere except the lower part of my stomach and my obliques, which is still covered pretty well by fat.

lol, If you really want to check if your weight is water weight or not, you could get really hammered and not drink a lot of water, then wait until the next morning…I generally feel really skinny after I do this since i’m dehydrated as all hell, and generally a few pounds lighter. But this wouldnt exactly help any sort of training goals you might have…and you’d feel like shit.

[quote]nowakc wrote:

lol, If you really want to check if your weight is water weight or not, you could get really hammered and not drink a lot of water, then wait until the next morning…I generally feel really skinny after I do this since i’m dehydrated as all hell, and generally a few pounds lighter. But this wouldnt exactly help any sort of training goals you might have…and you’d feel like shit.[/quote]

Rofl. Yeah actually you might want to play it safe and diet down instead of “finding out” :stuck_out_tongue: