Fat Loss

Hi, so i’m a beginner, I’ve only been working out for 3 months, and i won’t be able to go to the gym for a period of time because of loads of personal work. I thought maybe i could use spare time to shed a couple pounds at home. With that being said, i would just like to know about some simple, efficient exercises or activities (no Dumbbells/weights or anything) i could do at home to lose some fat with minimal muscle loss.

Thanks

walking

Sprints.

Without a doubt, the #1 home exercise for fat loss is push-aways. As in, push your chair away from the dinner table. No other exercise comes close. One rep three times a day is all it takes.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Without a doubt, the #1 home exercise for fat loss is push-aways. As in, push your chair away from the dinner table. No other exercise comes close. One rep three times a day is all it takes.[/quote]
This reminds me of something T3hPwnisher says. When he wants to cut, he exercises less, when he wants to bulk he exercises more. Diet is such a huge part. I am similar in that when I start doing a ton of exercise, my appetite goes through the roof.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Without a doubt, the #1 home exercise for fat loss is push-aways. As in, push your chair away from the dinner table. No other exercise comes close. One rep three times a day is all it takes.[/quote]
This reminds me of something T3hPwnisher says. When he wants to cut, he exercises less, when he wants to bulk he exercises more. Diet is such a huge part. I am similar in that when I start doing a ton of exercise, my appetite goes through the roof. [/quote]

I know his name can be a bad word in these parts due to some acrimony with Biotest…but Lyle McDonald is a big believer in this principle as well. If you want to cut, do as little exercise as needed to maintain muscle mass.

OP: as noted, a good diet, a daily walk, and some sprints once or twice a week could be a start. Are you willing to invest in ANY equipment for your home? A single kettlebell, a pull-up bar? One or both of those could go a really long way. You can make a hell of a minimalist program out of daily kettlebell swings and push-ups/pull-ups.

With that said: if “a large volume of personal work” is enough to keep you from the gym entirely, what faith should any of is have that you’ll keep exercising at all?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
This reminds me of something T3hPwnisher says. When he wants to cut, he exercises less, when he wants to bulk he exercises more. Diet is such a huge part. I am similar in that when I start doing a ton of exercise, my appetite goes through the roof. [/quote]

Yup. I made a similar point on another thread (can’t recall the name; it’s the one by the 24 y.o. female wanting to tone her arms and shoulders). All too often, when someone starts an ambitious exercise program in an attempt to lean out, their caloric intake rises concomitantly, and they end up not losing any fat (or even gaining some).

I have a pull up bar

[quote]voltairius wrote:
I have a pull up bar[/quote]

Buy a kettlebell. Look on craigslist if money is an issue. If you have 50 bucks to spare, go order a 35-pound kettlebell from Rogue Fitness.

Google Pavel Tsatsouline’s Simple and Sinister program. It’s a low volume program that can be done in a very short time frame. Add a few sets of pull-ups at the end of your workout every other day. Maybe some push-ups too.

That’s a very simple at home fat loss program. Get your diet in order, do that, and you’ll do okay. Much better than nothing.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

I’ve always thought the best exercise for fat loss is 3 sets of stop eating so damn much.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

I’ve always thought the best exercise for fat loss is 3 sets of stop eating so damn much.[/quote]

Maybe you should sell that as a book. I mean, millions of people that are fat clearly are too stupid to just “stop eating so damn much”.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

I’ve always thought the best exercise for fat loss is 3 sets of stop eating so damn much.[/quote]

That’s a good one too. For best results, try supersetting stop-eating-so-damn-muchs with push-aways. Three supersets a day is plenty. The key to success is exercise frequency–for maximum effectiveness, you have to do them nearly every day.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

That’s a good one too. For best results, try supersetting stop-eating-so-damn-muchs with push-aways. Three supersets a day is plenty. The key to success is exercise frequency–for maximum effectiveness, you have to do them nearly every day.[/quote]

I stole that one from Chris Shugart in all fairness.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

That’s a good one too. For best results, try supersetting stop-eating-so-damn-muchs with push-aways. Three supersets a day is plenty. The key to success is exercise frequency–for maximum effectiveness, you have to do them nearly every day.[/quote]

won’t I overtrain with all that volume?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

won’t I overtrain with all that volume?
[/quote]

Your concern is justified–if one isn’t careful, this sort of program can lead to overleaning (and on rare occasions, to a condition known as Acute Ripped Syndrome, or ARS). However, because most individuals tend to incorporate more than a few eat-like-it’s-Thanksgiving/pull-towards supersets into their program, overleaning is generally not a problem.

Solid advice so far. What’s your plan for the nutrition side of things?

Your profile says you’re 5’8" and 144 pounds. Do you really have a lot of fat to lose or are you already kinda lean?

[quote]voltairius wrote:
I have a pull up bar[/quote]
Consider Chad Waterbury’s PLP program:

Or, as was mentioned, consider investing in some piece of strength training equipment. A kettlebell, a basic set of resistance bands, even a dumbbell or two. That’d open up more possibilities.