Fat Loss: What am I Doing Wrong?

Hello,

I used to weigh 245 pounds and now, with MAJOR THANKS to the information here at T-Nation, I weigh 180 pounds.

However, I seem to have hit a wall. I was losing fat at a great rate, then it all but stopped right around 180 pounds. Can someone examine the following and tell me what I need to change to begin losing fat again please? I think I’m eating too little, but I want to hear what you guys think.

My average daily numbers are:

Protein - 180g
Fat - 60g
Carbs - 30g
Calories - 1380

I only eat about 3 times a day, with the last meal sometimes being within an hour before I fall asleep at night.

About 2 weeks ago I started running 4 miles per day about 4-5 days per week.

I am not currently weight training. I moved into a new home and will be setting up my gym in the next two weeks.

I think I need to eat more protein per day, eat more times per day, and not eat as close to bedtime. However, I’m nervous about eating more because I don’t want to gain any fat back.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

Doesn’t look like you need more protein. You need more carbs and fat.

A 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fat) split would probably work out better than what you’re doing right now. If I’m not mistaken, your body can’t even metabolize protein properly with the ratios you’re eating it in.

Also, remember to eat big breakfasts, and small suppers. No carbs whatsoever 1-2 hours before bed.

And try some morning HIIT if you’re up to it.

Do a search for ?Set Points?. In essence you body finds a weight it likes and trys to say at that weight. When you get too far away from that weight you body fights against gaining or losing weight.

You need to stay at that weight for awhile for your body to accept your new weight as normal. After it resets to its new ?normal? it will be easier to change your weight again. This works both ways, gaining weight and losing weight.

How long it takes depends on your body. I would try to increase cal. slowly while trying to stay as close as possible to your new weight.

At 180 pounds you’re barely eating 8 calories per pound of bodyweight. With this lack of calories and the fact that you aren’t lifting, your metabolism is probably moving at a snail’s pace by now.

You need to slowly add calories to your diet, at least some carbs, and start increasing your physical activity. When you get your gym set up start lifting and doing cardio, preferably HIIT. This will get your metabolism going again.

[quote]SquatDeep385 wrote:
At 180 pounds you’re barely eating 8 calories per pound of bodyweight. With this lack of calories and the fact that you aren’t lifting, your metabolism is probably moving at a snail’s pace by now.

You need to slowly add calories to your diet, at least some carbs, and start increasing your physical activity. When you get your gym set up start lifting and doing cardio, preferably HIIT. This will get your metabolism going again.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think you’re right. I think my metabolism is way slow right now.

Is there any way to speed my metabolism in the meantime before I start lifting again?

Eat at least 5 times a day, preferably 6, every 3 hours get something in your stomach!

You’re starving yourself. Eat more food - more protein/fats if you’re a carbaphobic.

Look up “Redefined physique Transformation” you’ll probably like it.

I would up the protein and also wait to do anything radical until after you start the lifting. It will make a huge difference. But yeah, under 1400 kcal is pretty fucking low. I’d bet you start eating substantially more and also see the results your looking for after the lifting.

dude your body is going into starvation mode. metabolism shuts down and your body is burning muscle for fuel and doing everything possible to hold on to fat. increase calories by at least 500, maybe more, and increase your calorie expenditure with excercise even more. make sure you lift HEAVY to maintain your muscles. you have to trick your body into believing food is not in short supply and it needs the muscles. then the fat will start to burn off again.

losing weight is easy, losing fat and maintaining/increasing lean muscle is a bit harder.

suggest reading some of the nutrion articles on here. John Beradi is excellent.

your protein aint bad, try uping your carbs , there is no denying, low carbs will whip the weight off you , but your body doesn’t like running on protein, it does it , but not efficiently, if you wanted to go somewhere in your car but you needed petrol, you wouldnt fill it up with vegtable oil, yeah the car will run but it runs better on petrol, your body likes carbs, the lowest carbs i would take is 150grams that is a very low day ,
up your cals
increase your meals to about 6 a day
up your carbs
if need be increase exercise
go man go

Your calories are very low that’s why you’ve hit a wall.
Read this, i don’t like to just link articles to people’s problems, but this is a good one.