Fat Loss Theory

Can some one validate or discredit this theory for me ?
If i eat to grow 5 days a week and on my 2 off days do a shit (3-40min sessions over the day) load of HIIT can i loose fat on those days while growing muscle on my 5 grow/training days ???

on the HIIT days eatin normal protein intake(240 grams) but droping carb and fat intake and over all calorie intake for the day ???

Thanks for any good feed back
Judas

Heh, sorry to be so unhelpful, but try it! :wink:

The general philosophy on this site is that over any given program you can build muscle or lose fat. You can’t do both at the same time.

What helps one hinders the other. At best you can retain muscle while losing fat, but that’s about it.

Maybe or you could very well screw everything up not gain muscle or lose fat by not recoevering, dropping intake on days out of the gym when one would grow, recover and progress and top it off qwith high intensity training doing more damage while hypocaloric and expecting to be able to come back to the gym and do anything near intense.

Hmm Good luck

Phill

There’d obviously be a not-quite-random wave of caloric intake which I think is great for “loosing” fat.

Plus if the drop in calories comes in the form of dropped carbs while simultaneously burning off stored glycogen with HIIT, I see some promise for a neat experiment.

I HATE it when I see nutrition regimens that are so static in KCal intake and macro-type.

I think “planned randomness” is a great way to live.

[quote]yorik wrote:
The general philosophy on this site is that over any given program you can build muscle or lose fat. You can’t do both at the same time.

What helps one hinders the other. At best you can retain muscle while losing fat, but that’s about it.[/quote]

I find this to be patently false. Unless you are talking about coaxing MORE muscle on an already lean, muscular body.

Many, many trainees accomplish this when they first start to take weight training seriously. Maybe you WERE referring to more accomplished bodybuilders?

I would also worry about this from a maintenance standpoint. I have heard numerous times on this board from experienced lifters that you must maintain your gains for around 2 months before you can really cut some fat and hope to keep the new muscle.

After the 5 days that you gain a little weight (very little most likely), you will drop your calories and try to lose fat for 2 days when your body may just end up dropping what little muscle it just gained. I really think that you’ll just be spinning your wheels.

Gain muscle or lose fat. Pick one and stick with it and then I think you’ll see progress. I honestly don’t think your 5 bulk/2 cut plan will give you much.

Probably not.

[quote]Dabubzilla wrote:
I honestly don’t think your 5 bulk/2 cut plan will give you much.[/quote]

I don’t know. It might work for a completely brand new lifter. Certainly not for anyone experienced, but it could work. It’s basically a very extreme version of carb cycling.

The real question would be- how long could it work. I bet after a month or so with all the yo-yo’ing consistency would be tough.

[quote]derek wrote:
yorik wrote:

What helps one hinders the other. At best you can retain muscle while losing fat, but that’s about it.

I find this to be patently false. Unless you are talking about coaxing MORE muscle on an already lean, muscular body.

Many, many trainees accomplish this when they first start to take weight training seriously. Maybe you WERE referring to more accomplished bodybuilders?[/quote]

This is a basic tenet I learned on this site over the past several years when I was new; don’t try to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Period. Pick one goal, not two. Maybe that philosophy has changed; if so, I’d like to hear about it just so I’m up to date.

As for newbies, almost anything will work wonders for them, so yes, I probably am refering to more experienced bodybuilders.

I found that carb and calorie cycling does wonders for stripping off fat for me, but I didn’t gain much muscle at the same time. (YRMV) It appeared that I did gain muscle, only because the muscle was more apparent.

Start a food log, measure your food, keep good data, and test your “theory.” Sitting around on the Internet isn’t going to validate your theory. In the scientific world, theories are tested, not simply discussed.

[quote]yorik wrote:

This is a basic tenet I learned on this site over the past several years when I was new; don’t try to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Period. Pick one goal, not two. Maybe that philosophy has changed; if so, I’d like to hear about it just so I’m up to date.

As for newbies, almost anything will work wonders for them, so yes, I probably am refering to more experienced bodybuilders.

[/quote]

I’m with you on the “stick to one thing at a time” plan.

I’m on a never-ending bulk myself.

I think we agree that newbies can do it but it certainly 'aint optimal in either direction.

I dunno about the whole cant gain muscle while losing fat thing. I have been dropping in weight, and my lifts are going up

However I am one the aformentioned noobs so…I guess that doesnt apply. I’ve also got lots of fat to lose.

However I would expect that as my physique starts to come around it will be harder to do both. That and the rate that my lifts are going up are already starting to slow down.