T Nation

Fat Loss Routine

Im finishing up with my “bulking” phase and am ready to go into a cut.

Im currently 5’10" at 195lbs and about 12-14% BF.

So after doin a lot of research, here’s what I came up for as a routine.


HYPERTROPHY INDUCING: 2 X WEEKLY

10X3 OR 3X10

(SQUAT, DEADLIFT, BENCH, ROW, PULLUP, SHOULDER PRESS)


CIRCUIT TRAINING 2-3 X WEEKLY

(SIMILAR TO “REAL FAST FAT LOSS”, HYBRID LIFTS)


BARBELL COMPLEXES OR BW COMPLEXES 2-3 X WEEKLY

(SELF EXPLANATORY HERE)


LACTIC ACID TRAINING: 2-3 X WEEKLY

(BASICALLY HIGHER REPS LESS REST)


HIIT AND STEADY STATE CARDIO 2-3 X WEEKLY

(THIS WILL BE EITHER INTERVALS OR FAST STEADY STATE CARDIO ON A BIKE OR ELLIPTYCAL)


So a weekly workout might look like this:

M: 10x3 / RFFL type circuit
T: Lactic inducing workout / Bike intervals
W: RFFL type circuit / Ellipytical intervals
Th: Off
F: 3x10 / RFFL type circuit
Sat: Barbell complexes or lactic acid training / Bike inter
Sun: OFF

What do you guys think? I’ll probably try to keep the workouts to 60 minutes or less, preferably 45 minutes.

Also, I was thinking as far as periodization goes. Would it be a good idea to start with higher volume (since im gonna start out with my highest calorie intake). And as time passes, progress in the form of increasing density, and reducing volume while increasing intensity?

Thanks everyone.

It might just be me, but that seems like alot of work to get in each week…

That is a ton of work. Personally, I wouldn’t cut immediately after a bulk. I would maintain for a while to let my body adapt to a new set point.

If you must, not knowing what type of cardio and conditioning you were doing during the bulk, just clean up your diet a little and introduce cardio incrementally.

Good luck.

I think doing some cardio will help, but don’t burn out! If you can run 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, with plenty of rest and obviously a clean diet full of protein, you should be good.

Yes, at first sight, it looks like a lot of work. But the duration/volume of everything can be modified to make it acceptable.

I’ll go a little more into detail.


For hypertrophy workouts, i’ll use an A-B split

A: Squat, horizontal press, vertical pull
B: Deadlift, vertical press, horizontal pull


The RFFL circuits, im not doing the entire workout. Instead it will just be the circuit from the routine.

EX:

A: Split snatch Lunge

B1: Pushup tuck (stability ball)
B2: Bent row back extension
B3: Lunge shoulder press

((The sets and reps can be modified to reduce overall workload))

So basically I wouldn’t keep the TABATA biking, jump squats, or DB swings in the workout, as well as the first exercise.


Barbell complexes or BW complexes:

EX:

Bent row
RDL
Clean & Press
Front squat

((All done 5x5 with 60 seconds or less rest, weight will be fairly light))

OR

BW complexes:

Pushup
Squat
BW row
Stepup R/L


Lactic acid training:

I dont know too much about this type of training, but as of now, ive only really done it for legs.

EX:

Leg press:
2x30 (rest as much as needed between)
2x60 (rest as much as needed between)

***Obviously the reps and sets can be changed, and I can super set the movement with another if needed.

Im also thinking these can be done with almost any movement that isn’t very technical.


HIIT

For HIIT I want to try something I read from Waterbury recently.

Basically, its a 10 second sprint, followed by 50 seconds of recovery, and repeated for 15-20 minutes.

Im thinking of doing these on an exercise bike or an eliptycal.


So thats it. Also, I do want this to be a full on “cut” program. I found for bulking or cutting, the best method is to go full bore for a shorter duration of time, and set goals and timelines as to when you want to achieve your results.

So, my timeline is by the end of July, because im going on vacation, so Ive got about 6-7 weeks. Having said that, i’ll probably do this in two phases. I’ll probably do 3 weeks, take a recovery week, and then do another 2-3 weeks to “peak”

Any thoughts on the methods i’ll be using?

I have another question regarding this transition for everyone.

Today was the las workout of my “bulk”, im planning on starting the “cut” on Sunday or monday, so i have a good 4-5 days of recovery. Im thinking if I keep eating big during this phase, i’ll be able to build even more muscle.

I know a lot of what Poliquin teaches suggests that this period of supercompensation is where the real gains come in.

Now should I take a complete break from the gym and just relax, stretch and eat (Mainly high fat, high protein), or should I do a typical deload, and continue to workout for another session or two?

***Also, i consider myself a borderline ecto/meso so its not like im gonna gain a ton of fat or anything in 5 days.

Thanks in advance.

Personally i would just do the hypertrophy + lactic acid training for 2-3weeks, then add in circuits for 2-3weeks, then if necessary add in rffl 2-3wks later and then add the HIIT if necessary

I decided i’ll probably start out kinda gradually, so i modified my plan a bit. Heres what I came up with so far.

Monday: 10x3

DEADLIFT 10x3 (30-45sec rest)
HORIZONTAL PULL 10x3 (30-45 sec rest)

Some form of lactic acid training.

EX:

JUMP SQUAT x 20 sec
BW SQUAT x 20 sec
SQUAT HOLD x 20 sec

Rest. Repeat 2-3 times


Tuesday: RFFL (4x10)

**I modified it a bit, but its very similar. Since i’ll be training heavy with the 10x3, i’ll do 4x10 or 3x15 on RFFL.

A1: DB RDL TO SPLIT SNATCH (plus lunge)
A2: PUSHUP JACKNIFE (on stability ball)
A3: BENT ROW + BACK EXTENSION

Followed by---- Bicycle or elliptycal

(10 sec sprint / 50 sec recovery) x 15-20 sets

Wednesday: OFF


Thursday : 10x3

FRONT SQUAT: 10X3
VERTICAL PULL 10X3

Followed by some form of lactic acid training

EX:

PENDLAY ROW X 20SEC
BW ROW X 20 SEC
BW ROW HOLD (AT TOP) X 20 SEC

Rest. Repeat 2-3 times


Friday: OFF


Saturday: RFFL (3x15)

***Everything the same as tuesday but 3x15. And if i do bicycle on tuesday, i’ll do elliptycal on saturday.


Sunday: OFF


So I think this plan is very doable to start.

I want a lot of my focus to be on my leg and back muscle, because they are strongest and can handle the most work.

Not really gonna say much about the training regiment but I would tell you that you should just try to maintain before jumping right into a cut. I’ve done this before and lost much more muscle then I would of liked (no not due to dropping calories too much or increasing training too much). When I bulked up again the next fall/winter I decided to just try and maintain that weight for 3 months or so. It made my cut much more effective as the muscle had had time to solidify so to speak and your body isn’t as likely to use muscle as energy.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Not really gonna say much about the training regiment but I would tell you that you should just try to maintain before jumping right into a cut. I’ve done this before and lost much more muscle then I would of liked (no not due to dropping calories too much or increasing training too much). When I bulked up again the next fall/winter I decided to just try and maintain that weight for 3 months or so. It made my cut much more effective as the muscle had had time to solidify so to speak and your body isn’t as likely to use muscle as energy.[/quote]

I disagree. I think the problem is that many people will do a traditional bulk with high carbs, and as a result their muscles will swell a bit. Then when they go to fat loss, they see this as muscle loss, because their muscles start to seem flat. The problem is, they never had the muscle to begin with.

Also, I think its very advantageous to go right into a cutting phase. My metabolism is higher now then it will ever be. It will only take minor changes to my diet to start losing fat, and if I do everything correctly I shouldn’t lose much muscle, and might possibly gain some muscle

KK, so I made some more changes… ((I know i really need to just try it, but im starting on sunday.))

What I came up with now, is a blend of 10/10, RFFL, and GBC

There’s an A workout and a B workout. And i’ll likely start with 3-4 times per week.

WORKOUT A: (5X8 OR 4X12)

A1 FRONT SQUAT
A2 FLOOR PRESS (OR PUSHUP)
A3 DEADLIFT
A4 BW ROW


REST PERIODS WILL BE 30-60 SECS BETWEEN EACH EXERCISE.

BICYCLE OR ELIPTYCAL 10SEC (SPRINT / 50SEC (RECOVER) FOR 15-20 MINUTES.


WORKOUT B: (5X8 OR 4X12)

A1 DB RDL TO SPLIT SNATCH (PLUS LUNGE)
A2 PUSHUP TO SQUAT JUMP PULLUP


NO REST BETWEEN PAIRINGS, 30-60 SECS BETWEEN SETS.

TABATA ON BICYCLE OR FRONT SQUATS (BW OR DB) 20S/10S X 6-8


Like I said, im gonna have to give this a try to see how it goes, but I think this will result in much shorter workouts.

Any thoughts on the program?

I like your plan.

Only thing I’d suggest is to not go no carb with this type of volume.

How about you actually do it and then tell us if it works

[quote]dankid wrote:
LiquidMercury wrote:
Not really gonna say much about the training regiment but I would tell you that you should just try to maintain before jumping right into a cut. I’ve done this before and lost much more muscle then I would of liked (no not due to dropping calories too much or increasing training too much).

When I bulked up again the next fall/winter I decided to just try and maintain that weight for 3 months or so. It made my cut much more effective as the muscle had had time to solidify so to speak and your body isn’t as likely to use muscle as energy.

I disagree. I think the problem is that many people will do a traditional bulk with high carbs, and as a result their muscles will swell a bit. Then when they go to fat loss, they see this as muscle loss, because their muscles start to seem flat. The problem is, they never had the muscle to begin with.

Also, I think its very advantageous to go right into a cutting phase. My metabolism is higher now then it will ever be. It will only take minor changes to my diet to start losing fat, and if I do everything correctly I shouldn’t lose much muscle, and might possibly gain some muscle[/quote]

I do all my bulks/cuts using anabolic diet (I pretty much run that year round) and have tried it both ways (waiting and going immediately into a cut) and have seen much better muscle maintenance waiting a few months.

KK, so I guess thats the plan im gonna run for the next 4-7 weeks.

As for nutrition, im not going very low carb. Basically im gonna start out with all my carbs coming from mainly vegetables and fruits. The exception to this, will be breakfast, during and after workout, in which i’ll allow starchy carbs and sugars.

Then as the program progresses, i’ll cut out the breakfast carbs and during workout carbs as needed.

I want to keep the diet pretty simple though, so im not counting calories or anything. In the beginning i’ll eat just as much as Im eating now, and then i’ll gradually decrease calories as needed.

Other than that, i’ll be taking 12g of fish oil per day, 5-15g of creatine (likely spread out), and 40g of BCAA’s. I may add some caffeine in towards the end, but definately not in the beginning.

Thanks for the support guys, i’ll try to get my current pics and stats up, and let you know how things go as I progress. Im really looking forward to that first workout. Bring on the pain!

Best of luck and keep us updated.

OMG!

I did the first day of this program tonight, and it was brutal.

I ended up using about 50% of my 1rm’s for each exercise which I know is kinda light, but I wanted to start out slowly. Heres what I did, everything was 4x12.

Front squat (115)
BW row
Deadlift (185)
Pushup

I used 60 sec rest breaks.

I think as far as progression goes, i’ll start by increasing the weights a bit, and then keep the weights constant and decrease the rest breaks by 5 seconds each week.

Then I rode the exercise bike, and did 10 second sprints at a high resistance, followed by 50 second recovery at a lower resistance. I did this for 15 minutes. This wasn’t so bad, but was a good start.

Well, im looking forward to tuesday’s workout, will let you all know how it goes.

I have one more question though.


I KNOW THESE WORKOUTS ARE AIMED AT LACTATE PRODUCTION, AND I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF PEOPLE RECOMEND RAISING THE WEIGHT IN ABOUT 3 SECONDS AND LOWERING IT IN ONE. IM ASSUMING THIS WILL LEAD TO GREATER LACTIC ACID PRODUCITON, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO DECREASE THE WEIGHTS USED. IS IT WORTH IT TO DECREASE THE WEIGHT TO GO SLOWER, OR SHOULD I JUST LIFT LIKE I NORMALLY DO?

thankyou.

[quote]dankid wrote:
OMG!

I did the first day of this program tonight, and it was brutal.

I ended up using about 50% of my 1rm’s for each exercise which I know is kinda light, but I wanted to start out slowly. Heres what I did, everything was 4x12.

Front squat (115)
BW row
Deadlift (185)
Pushup

I used 60 sec rest breaks.

I think as far as progression goes, i’ll start by increasing the weights a bit, and then keep the weights constant and decrease the rest breaks by 5 seconds each week.

Then I rode the exercise bike, and did 10 second sprints at a high resistance, followed by 50 second recovery at a lower resistance. I did this for 15 minutes. This wasn’t so bad, but was a good start.

Well, im looking forward to tuesday’s workout, will let you all know how it goes.

I have one more question though.


I KNOW THESE WORKOUTS ARE AIMED AT LACTATE PRODUCTION, AND I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF PEOPLE RECOMEND RAISING THE WEIGHT IN ABOUT 3 SECONDS AND LOWERING IT IN ONE. IM ASSUMING THIS WILL LEAD TO GREATER LACTIC ACID PRODUCITON, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO DECREASE THE WEIGHTS USED. IS IT WORTH IT TO DECREASE THE WEIGHT TO GO SLOWER, OR SHOULD I JUST LIFT LIKE I NORMALLY DO?

thankyou.[/quote]

No offense, but if 4x12 with those weights was brutal to you, you may want to just focus a bit on building up your strength and endurance foundation a bit before worrying about the complexities of compettivie techniques like bulking and cutting phases. I think your getting a touch ahead of yourself and making things more complicated than they need to be at this phase of the game.

To your question, I have gotten great results with the 1:3 tempo in my fat loss workout, but when I use it, I usually stick to 6-8 reps and go heavy to get the most benefit out of it. 12 perfect reps with considerable weight at that speed would just completley kill. So, I would focus on perfect form and keeping the tempo first, and work the weight (and reps if you want) up later. You’ll get more out it long term this way.