T Nation

Fat Loss Question

Alright, I am currently on a cut following Thib’s low carb diet.

Getting 40 grams of carbs a day and the rest is 1000 cals of Protein, 1000 cals of Fat. So about 250G of protein, I’m 165.

Quick question, I have quite a bit of belly fat and love handles, and have been on the diet for 3 weeks now, this is the third week.

How long does it take until I start noticing my abs? I swear for some reason it feels like my stomach fat is more defined…Or is that because it is the last place the fat comes off?

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has done a low carb diet and how long it took you to notice real results. I was under the impression 8-10 weeks and the fat should be utterly gone by then.

Thibs would probably tell you, you won’t see your abs until you are at 10% bodyfat.

how tall are you? man or woman?

if you are only 5ft it may take you a little longer

5’ 7" 165. Ok 10%, assuming I was at 15-17% how long would it take?

I’m in the same exact place as you are. I’m 5’7" and weighed in at 164.4 this morning. Tanita give me between 15-17% bf, although I don’t take it too seriously.

My diet is pretty similar, lower in protein and fat though and around 40g carbs. I’m taking in about 2000 cal a day, sometimes a little more. Then on Saturdays I’ll carb up w/ about 500g carbs. I’m still working on getting the carb ups dialed in, as I just added those not too long ago.

Like October girl said, you probably won’t see lean abs until you are about 10%. To get a rough estimate of how long it will take: calculate your lbm, then subtract that from your current weight to figure out how much fat you are carrying. Then figure out how much fat you need to lose to get to 10%.

I think 8-10 weeks is a fair estimate, and my abs are starting to poke through now although there is still a big layer of fat over them. I noticed my fat more now, simply for the fact that I can see my abs beneath it so instead of being soft and smooth and not noticing it, I notice it more now.

What kind of training are you doing?

[quote]sl4vik wrote:

Getting 40 grams of carbs a day and the rest is 1000 cals of Protein, 1000 cals of Fat. So about 250G of protein, I’m 165.

Quick question, I have quite a bit of belly fat and love handles, and have been on the diet for 3 weeks now, this is the third week.

How long does it take until I start noticing my abs? I swear for some reason it feels like my stomach fat is more defined…Or is that because it is the last place the fat comes off?

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has done a low carb diet and how long it took you to notice real results. I was under the impression 8-10 weeks and the fat should be utterly gone by then.[/quote]

Assuming a daily deficit of ~500kcal, you’ll need to continue for about 12 to 14 weeks.

A pound of Bodyfat contains roughly 3500 kcal.

EDIT: Needless to say, you’ll end up looking like one of those staving children from Africa.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I’m in the same exact place as you are. I’m 5’7" and weighed in at 164.4 this morning. Tanita give me between 15-17% bf, although I don’t take it too seriously.

My diet is pretty similar, lower in protein and fat though and around 40g carbs. I’m taking in about 2000 cal a day, sometimes a little more. Then on Saturdays I’ll carb up w/ about 500g carbs. I’m still working on getting the carb ups dialed in, as I just added those not too long ago.

Like October girl said, you probably won’t see lean abs until you are about 10%. To get a rough estimate of how long it will take: calculate your lbm, then subtract that from your current weight to figure out how much fat you are carrying. Then figure out how much fat you need to lose to get to 10%.

I think 8-10 weeks is a fair estimate, and my abs are starting to poke through now although there is still a big layer of fat over them. I noticed my fat more now, simply for the fact that I can see my abs beneath it so instead of being soft and smooth and not noticing it, I notice it more now.

What kind of training are you doing?
[/quote]

I’m doing what Thib recommends. Monday is Chest/Back, Tuesday is legs, Wednsday is off, Thursday is 4 x 400m Sprints + 20 Minute low intensity cardio. Friday is Shoulders/Arms, and Saturday is Tabatas + 25 min steady walking.

I am also getting 2000 calories a day. I did start at 170, now I checked I’m at 164. This is the third week finishing.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
sl4vik wrote:

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has done a low carb diet and how long it took you to notice real results. I was under the impression 8-10 weeks and the fat should be utterly gone by then.

Assuming a daily deficit of ~500kcal, you’ll need to continue for about 12 to 14 weeks.

A pound of Bodyfat contains roughly 3500 kcal.

EDIT: Needless to say, you’ll end up looking like one of those staving children from Africa.[/quote]

Why will I look like a starving child? I am just looking to get rid of belly fat, then steady bulk back up with carb cycling. The fact that I can’t see my abs has been pissing me off recently.

So I calculated that I have 24lbs of fat total in my body.

Being 164 at 15%. 140lbs lean and 24 fat.

So to get 10% I would have to lower only 8 lbs of fat?

You are saying at 156, I will be at 15%? At 2lbs a week, that comes out to 4 weeks. I just did 3, so that would put me at a total of 7 weeks? Seems a little to easy and fast…

140/(140+24-8) = .89 -> lean muscle
100-89 = ~10% body fat

…So yeah about 8lbs. You might stall and you can go slower then -2lbs/week. So it will probably take a little longer. I have read on here that about 2lbs/week is as fast as you can go and not lose muscle. I don’t know if anybody else wants to comment on that.

I hadn’t done the calculations myself, and I was planning on only really going hard for another 4 weeks before I started slowly building up the kcals.

I never really thought I’d get lean, and slowly everything has been developing and coming together. I don’t want to say it before I’m done, but losing fat isn’t terribly difficult.

I wouldn’t have said that awhile ago, but it does seem a little too easy if you don’t mind weighing your meat and eating veggies.

You got any post cut plans? I think I’m going to try and grow me some legs and do 8 weeks of 20 rep squats and a hypertrophy plan then another 8 weeks of a more strength based approach.

Good luck with the rest of it.

I think a lot of this is based on your own individual body type. I’m 5’9" and about 180 lbs. but I can see the top two rows of my abs.

I’m guessing I’m around 15% body fat.

I’m actually going to cut for the next 8 weeks straight. I will drop the calories 100 every 4 weeks though. So by the end I should be eating 1800 or so.

I figure going 8 more weeks will get me 8%. Somewhere I have never been near before. I know I will lose some size, but I have been doing everything to preserve muscle. Also I recently added Tonalin CLA, supposingly that should boost fat burning as well, but we will see.

Damn, going back down to 150 is going to suck. However, I have learned quite a bit and using Nutritiondata.com I can easily calculate my caloric needs.

After this cut I plan to add 500-700 calories over my maintenance and slowly start the bulking process. However, I am trying to avoid fat gain and will be carb cycling probably until I feel like going down to 6-7%.

As far as workout, I will continue the 5 day split. I find I like working 1 body part per week the most, and have had the best gains that way.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
I think a lot of this is based on your own individual body type. I’m 5’9" and about 180 lbs. but I can see the top two rows of my abs.

I’m guessing I’m around 15% body fat.[/quote]

Yes, i’m 15% and I can also see the top 2 rows. Love handles and lower back, and lower abs are utterly disgusting me though. I swear all of my fat congregated down there :frowning:

Ditch the scale… especially if it’s a Tanita. IR BF% calculations, especially what Tanita uses, are extraordinarily dependent on water composition/displacement within the body - making them wildly inaccurate. The best way I’ve found to use a Tanita for BF comp measures is to measure yourself with empty stomach first thing in the morning - once using the ‘standard’ setting, once using the ‘athlete’ setting, and average them. That should get you to about 1-2% of actual BF% (which is still actually very inaccurate in my mind). Do this weekly.

Weight measurements are a useful tool as far as BF loss is concerned, but nothing to hang your hat on. If you are more concerned about the actual BF “numbers”, get yourself a good set of calipers and learn how to use 'em. If you’re more interested in seeing abs, let the mirror by your guide.

Previous posts are accurate, 8# ~ 6-12 weeks, depending on how hard you diet and cardio - with everything else being equal (same weight training, same diet with variance in kcals only, same sleep/activity, etc.). Eat to support training/body comp goals, use cardio to create the cal deficit needed to lose fat.

Lower ab and back fat are the LAST place it comes off on most guys. The last 3-6 #'s are also the TOUGHest to come off, usually lot’s of dieting and cardio required.

I’m eating 500 less + excercise…

Is that wrong?