T Nation

Fat Loss Overtraining Difficulties

I'm looking for some advice on getting in shape this summer. I've been weight training for about 3 months now, but the gym I've been going to at school was atrocious (it consisted of some machines, a set of dumbells which maxed at 50 lbs, and some cardio equipment). However, now that I'm home I'd like to train more seriously.

A few bits on information about me: I'm 5'11", and 180, with about 20% bf. OF course I'd like to lose fat and gain muscle at the same, but fat loss is definitely my priority. I've joined an actual gym, and have been training since I've gotten home.

My difficulty is trying to balance weight training with martial arts (my other gym based activity). The gym offers nightly classes in a variety of styles (boxing, Jiu Jitsu, MMA, kickboxing) that last between one and two hours. I'd like to go to as many of these as I can while still training as often as possible. Is class 6 days a week with training in the mornings 3 or 4 days to much? Should I either lift or do martial arts in one day? Should I incorporate any pure cardio into my regime?

My other question is in terms of dieting. I'm currently eating about 2200 cal per day (of clean foods), with about 40p/25c/35f. I'm also taking a multivitamin and fish oil. I'm considering trying Spike and/or HOT-ROX, but I'm worried that either will make me dependent on them in the long term for workouts. What do you guys think?

well, if u are going to be doing that much exercise, u can prob bump ur cals up a little so u can get proper post workout nutrition(Surge)

Couple things...

Your macro ratio is a little off. With that much cardio-based activity, the martial arts, you should be taking in more carbs. You shouldn't need to add any cardio into the mix.

Both HOT-ROX and Spike are not habit forming. I would seriously suggest the new HOT-ROX Extreme. It would help you lose the fat you want and also help maintain your LBM with all that martial arts activity.

the martial arts class is your cardio,ask anyone who takes a class.

that many sessions should be ok, but pick a weight training program carefully... heavy doms will impact performance in class. I have found some of the 3-4 times a week CW to be good when i have had to do another 6-8 sessions of cardio/intense rowing training.

yes the gym classes are cardio versions of the martial arts, not the "real" thing you wont need to do any cardio ontop of the classes. but please for the love of god dont think your some killing machine after taking the classes for a few weeks like most people do, its just cardio work with a few punches and kicks thrown in :stuck_out_tongue:

I second that. Practicing martial arts burns a tremendous amount of calories. And I mean both the "real deal" and the softcore variaties.

Do you think playing basketball has the same fat burning affects as martial arts?