T Nation

Fat Loss Limit?

I have found that it is only possible to gain about 2-3 pounds of muscle per month with an optimum diet, training, etc.

I was wondering if fat also had a limit that can be lost each month while keeping muscle mass. I’m sure this depends on how much fat you have, so I’ll give my stats.

I’m male, 24, 157 lbs. with 18% body fat.
How much fat would I be able to lose each month?

[quote]massarmor wrote:
I have found that it is only possible to gain about 2-3 pounds of muscle per month with an optimum diet, training, etc.

I was wondering if fat also had a limit that can be lost each month while keeping muscle mass. I’m sure this depends on how much fat you have, so I’ll give my stats.

I’m male, 24, with 18% body fat.
How much fat would I be able to lose each month? [/quote]

A percentage isn’t much use when we don’t know what it is a percent of. How about you give us your weight.

oops

157 lbs.

I’ve lost a pound of fat per a day.

This went on for two weeks (14 pounds total), on the Protein Sparing Modified Fast. I ate 2000 calories per a day, when I typically would require 3000. The other 2500 calories deficit must have come from exercise, and the thermogenesis of foods which I ate.

Each morning I would have a 3 egg omelet with a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and 2 strips of bacon. That was for my sanity, and sticking to the fast. Because the rest of the day, I would divide 2 cans of salmon into 7.25 oz servings, and eat those with brocolli and carrots.

This provided me with my weight in grams of protein, 14 grams of Omega-3’s, who-knows how much CLA and a huge overload of iodine to feed my thyroid. Muscle was preserved, fat was lost and with it, my liking for fish.

I did the same thing 6 months later, and again lost around 15 pounds. Proof positive, that at least one pound of fat can be lost daily, without shredding muscle.

wow, that’s pretty impressive.

How much did you weigh and what was your body fat %?

What is the Protein Sparing Modified Fast?

What is CLA?

hrmmm… doesn’t pass the smell test…

lol what’s the smell test?

as in, sounds like bullshit (the pound of fat per day that is…)