T Nation

Fat Loss Help!

Greetings!

Last year i went went from 182,98 (83 kg) lbs to 163,14 (74 kg) lbs im 6.1 (186 cm) bmi 21.4 and I still got my bulki stomach
I did this with weightlifting and some running and eating right. I just feel a little bit frustrated over it what have I done wrong?

I will start dieting as soon as i can , I´m already running 3-4 times a week and after every run i do some bodylifting (or whatever its called) and trying to watch what I eat. I will start going to a gym when I can.

so please help me.

Fryderyk.

(sorry for my bad english not my native tounge)

why the hell are you trying to lose weight if you are so tall? you are doing it wrong.

You need to build some muscle, not get skinnier.

I never said that i wanted to lose weight ive lost enought weight. i just got the same fat flobby stomach after all that weightloss. have i lost more mucel than fat? what should i do now?

Im a newbie to this so help me with your knowledge =)

I would say one of the best things you can do for yourself is lift hard and run. Don't over complicate things. If you read some of Jim Wendler's stuff this is his main philosophy. You say you lift and run already which is vague to say the least. People want some magic formula. You lost about 20 lbs. Good job. Obviously you are already on a good path if this is your goal, however as stated before, building some muscle will help you tremendously.

You sound from your height and weight though that you may be "skinny-fat". Can you describe your workouts a little bit further? Also, what is a typical day like in terms of your diet? You may not need some drastic change, perhaps a little tweak here or there could make a big difference for you. If you give a little more information there are some very knowledgeable people on here who can help you. You may want to check out the beginners forum as well.

I have not started any diet, i just eat normal good food, no fast food no microwave dinners or any of that. when i will start my diet it will be vegiterian (my girlfriend is a vegiterian and we will live together after the summer and our money dont grow on trees) so i dont really know what to eat diet wise. i know i can eat things like beans,nuts,quorn,soy stuff.

but i will buy:

Protine powder
Fish oil
Multi vitamin
L glutamine(?)
Creatine

so this will be in my diet.

Workout wise

Gym 3 times a week monday,wendsday,friday
or times a week 4 monday,tuesday,thusday,friday
Swim/run 3-4 times a week

Ok, someone else can help you out more than I can with the diet stuff because I know for a fact other people on this board have experience with vegetarian diets and I have none. I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you have enough protein. This is where most vegetarians have the most trouble. Try and get at least between 0.85-1.25 grams per pound of body weight.

You can go higher if you need to. This shouldn't be too difficult if you're supplementing with protein powder. If you can eat things like eggs, milk and fish on your diet this is even easier. Carbs should not be a problem on a vegetarian diet and at your activity level you shouldn't have trouble burning them off. Figure out how many calories you need per day based on your activity level, get enough protein, figure out how many carbs you eat and fill in the rest of your calories with fats (good vegetarian sources include coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds, etc.).

For workouts if you are a beginner I would probably try something like Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. Again, I feel you need to build muscle to lean out a bit. If fat loss is your main goal, you could try something like 5/3/1 for your main exercises and superset the assistance work. This is a very simple but effective way to build strength. Along with your swimming and running this will burn a lot of calories so make sure you are eating enough.

Also, make sure you are lifting before any of your swimming and running or you can separate them into different times of the day depending on your schedule (morning and afternoon for example). If you are a beginner, pretty much anything you do in the weight room will add muscle to your frame just make sure you are going heavy on your main exercises and eating enough. Also, I think you would be throwing your money away on L-glutamine. Sorry, without knowing more I really can't give you too much detail. What I have just posted is very basic and general.

The biggest thing is to monitor your diet. If you aren't progressing after a few weeks weeks make small changes and reassess after a few weeks. Over time you will figure out what your body responds best to. If you are lifting hard and getting stronger your workouts are fine and you only need to work on your diet. Your diet has more influence on your body composition than your workouts.

Thank you very much! cant wait to lift some weights. my runs/swimming will be on seperate times of the day like you said. one more thing my girlfriend will also go to the gym how should she work out? same as me or same as me but with more reps per set? and should she also be using some protine powder?

thank you for your kindness and understanding!

Protein powder is only for supplementing your diet. If she needs it to hit her protein goal for the day then she should, if she doesn't then there is no need to take it. She can work out the same as you to start. Again, if she wants to change up the reps or sets or anything else she can change it for a few weeks and see if it benefits her.

Over time she can find something that works for her and she enjoys doing. Both are important if you're looking to work out long term. A little piece of advice though is some girls do not want to be trained by their boyfriends. I don't give my girlfriend any workout advice unless she asks for it haha.

Also, don't stop reading. This site is a great resource of workout and nutrition knowledge. Use it and other sites like it to your advantage. No one has all the answers and sometimes you can come across something that can make a positive difference in your situation.