T Nation

Fat Loss Has Stalled...

Recently my fat loss has stalled. I was consuming 1900 calories a day. My maintnence is 2400. The only logical consumption I can make is that my metabolism has started to slow down. Here are my measurments:

5’ 7"
172 pounds
20 year old male

Starting a few days ago, I have started to eat at my maintnence again. I’ve heard this is the proper approach to take when fat loss stops. My plan is to eat at 2400 for 2 full weeks and then go back to a calorie defficit. Is this the right approach to take?

By the way, I exercise 5 days a week. M, W, F I lift weights, full body work out. T, and Th I do some type of running. Either run for 3 or so miles or do sprint intervals.

Rather than abruptly increasing your calories up to your maintenance level, as it can harm your progress, and then dieting down again; you should subtract calories from the 1900 kcal you were consuming.

Depends on how long he’s been trying to drop bf. If he’s been doing it for 9-10 weeks(or if he’s overtrained), it might actually be a good idea for him to get an excess, dieting too long results in the thyroid slowing down production of t4, resulting in a “survival mode” of sorts.

Eating the excess for a few days gives the body a signal that it’s no longer under those conditions(even though it’s only temporary, heh heh), and results in an increase in the rmr.

I have used a short maintenance period during a fat loss plateau and found it to be quite effective. It also provides a little psychological relief and in my humble opinion, is preferable to dropping to a severe calorie deficit. That’s not to say that dropping to say, 1600 calories won’t get the scale rolling back again, I just prefer the option you’re using. It keeps the deficit reasonable and allows me to keep my strength and energy levels up.

[quote]PanchoPantera wrote:
Rather than abruptly increasing your calories up to your maintenance level, as it can harm your progress, and then dieting down again; you should subtract calories from the 1900 kcal you were consuming. [/quote]

This advice honestly goes against everything I’ve heard on this website. Wouldn’t cutting more calories out slow my metabolism even more due to it thinking im starving myself?

Another crucial thing is I don’t want to sacrafice muscle mass. As body fat has dropped I must say I’m proud of the definition I’ve gained in my thighs, arms, and chest. The fat hiding the abs in my midsection I’ve built up seems to not want to go away though.

From what I understand, eating to little is a common cause of stalled fat loss.

ECA

Try a Zig-Zag calorie approach.

Mon 2000 cal
Tue 1600
Wed 2400
Thu 2000
Fri 1800
Sat 2200
Sun 2000

Try that for 2 weeks and if the scale isn’t budging try.

Mon 1500
Tue 1300
Wed 1800
Thu 1500
Fri 1400
Sat 1700
Sun 1500

[quote]obmas wrote:
ECA[/quote]

What is ECA?

ephedrine caffeine aspirin? i think… never tried it tho