Fat Loss Has Stalled

I have been eating on a dime to for over a 7 months and sticking to under 70 grams of carbs a day. Only time I eat starchy carbs have been 1 serving of Surge (1/2 pre and 1/2 post) and then 30 grams of BCAA’s pre,peri, and post workout.

All my other carbs are veggies and possibly an apple in the morning. I am also consuming 20-30 grams of fish oil a day spread out into 6 doses. PROBLEM I think my my fat loss has stalled.

I am getting stronger and definitely adding lean mass, but it is weird because my body weight is staying the same 194 lbs, but I am getting a little leaner, however fat is still on lower back, sides, and stomach. So I am eating high protein, high healthy EFA’s, and very low carb because I am carb intolerant.

I can pack on the pounds very fast from anything with starchy carbs in it. My thought G-flux maybe? Now, I know I should weigh more in the 170-175 range not 194 pounds with the strength level I am at.

I will also add that my weight staying the same but losing a slow amount of fat maybe because I have added a large large amount of muscle in my legs over the past 7 weeks via diet and CW’s Total Body Training Program.

I understand most people have more fat to lose than they think, but I am very confused as to what I am doing wrong. 3 days a week of Low-Intensity Cardio PWO for 45 minutes is also part of my current regiment.

Is it possible the 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee or 4 Omega 3 eggs in the morning is too much fat for me? Is it possible that EQUAL(only at work I use splenda at home) in my coffee is causing too much of an insulin spike (after all it is dextrose, maltodextrin,

Then aspartame) Or is it possible that consuming Surge PWO is not good for me because I workout finishes around 7pm in the evening and it is too close to bedtime? I usually pick Saturday as a glycogen refeed day, and have 4 mistakes that day, but all other meals or on spot. all week long

Not sure where to go from here. Getting very frusterated because the only fat I have left seems to be some visceral fat on my belly and lower back/sides.

I appreciate any feedback at all.

Current Diet example:( I eat like this everyday except for Saturday I loosen up a little) I don’t drink really anymore either.

Meal 1:
4 Omega 3 Eggs
5 grams of fish oil
3 slices of turkey bacon
1 apple
3 cups of coffee w/ splenda and 4 tablespoons of half and half(only 1 carb a serving)

Meal 2:

4 hard boiled eggs
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 cup of green beans
5 grams of fish oil
1 cup of coffee 2 tablespoons of half and half 3 packets of equal

Meal 3:

Starkist Tuna Pouch
5 grams of fish oil
2 cups of brocolli
diet coke

Meal 4:

starkist Tuna Pouch
5 grams of fish oil
2 cups of brocolli
diet coke

workout
meal 5: half serving of Surge pre and 1/2 serving of Surge Post
30 grams of BCAA’s pre, peri, and post workout

meal 6: 8oz of Pot Roast lean fat trimmed
4 mini carrots
onions
celery
water
5 grams of fish oil

I look foward to anyone’s feedback.

Thanks.

I am in almost the exact same situation as you. Im anxious to hear some replies and opinions.

A little bit of half and half plus 4 eggs is not a problem. I will fucking end you if you think some eggs and equal is your issue.

Also, that’s not a whole lot of food
(I mean, 4 mini carrots? I fart out more calories than that.) you might want to try to eat more to get yer’ metabolism running a little higher.

If you’ve been doing the same thing for 7 months, it might be time to try something new. G-flux, get shredded, carb cycling, new workouts, whatever - just to get you out of the rut you are in now.

Hello,

I’m a real newbie so my opinion doesn’t count very much. However, isn’t “diet coke” inducing insulin spikes even thought there is no carbs in it ?

Even if it does, I don’t know if it would be enough to make your whole diet to stall… However I thought it could be of interest.

Regards,
Guillaume.

My 2 cents is I would cut out the diet pop it interferes with HCL production in the gut and can leave you nutrient deficient even though you are eaing the right stuff. Omega 3 eggs are good (unless you are allergic to them) I would drop the peanut butter and replace it with brazil nuts (extra selenium will be good for your thyroid).

Finally, IMO your protein is way too low, my male clients use 2.0 grams/ lb bw and I have females use 1.2. I would try those things and I am pretty sure you can break through your plateau. Also, I would look into Poliquin’s HCL supplement. Check out my thread (laroyal’s return to powerlifting) I detail the way I set up diets and supplements in there and it may give you some better ideas. Hope this helps and best of luck in your pursuits!

If you’re going to take advice from anyone in this thread, it should probably be laroyal. He always has sound advice. I would have recommended a carb-up/re-feed day once a week. Possibly even a a moderate carb cycling approach. I’ve found (for me, atleast) that when low carb dieting for so long, progress will eventually slow or stop. Adding carbs strategically will help start up progress again. I had a similar problem over the summer, but a carb cycle helped me get where I wanted. Here is a thread that I started towards the end of my carb cycling cut: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/lyle_mcdonalds_ultimate_diet_20?id=2270648&pageNo=0

thanks guys I appreciate the quick feedback…yeah I have thought that maybe my calories are too low for too long.

Laroyal, I read a lot of your posts, and I agree with your theories due to scientifically based evidence, and you obviously know what you are doing! Yes, Diet Coke is my arch nemesis, I am trying to drastically cut back. I will add I use to not drink enough water, but I now easily drink over a gallon and half a day because I bring my gallon of water with me everywhere and it becomes much easier.

As for the 2 lbs of protein per pound of body weight, what you add in terms of lean protein sources, but not dense in caloric intake? That’s a problem I have because I believe food is best not shakes, however I seems like I can’t eat 2 chicken breasts every 2-3 hours(i realize there are more choices just an example).

Should up the PWO cardio on a bike to up my energy systems works for extra benefit?

Thanks guys!

how much weight have you lost in your 7 months of dieting? unless you were morbidly obese, you shouldn’t be in a caloric deficit that long without breaks. Dieting isnt meant to be a “forever” thing.

In general, if you haven’t reached your goal weight in 6-8 weeks of dieting, then it would be in your best interest to take a “break” from dieting. Take 2-3 weeks and raise you calories back up to maintenance, while also raising you carbs up to ~30-40% of total calories. This will allow your body to take a break from the stress of constantly operating in a caloric deficit, as well as allowing certain hormonal problems associated with chronic calorie restriction (thyroid, leptin, etc.) to normalize. then, after 2-3 weeks, you may begin another 6-8 weeks of dieting.

“professional dieters” (i.e. people who are constantly “on a diet”) often find themselves stuck, and the only way to get things moving again is to take a break, allow themselves to rest and their body to recover, then begin anew. otherwise they end up running themselves into the ground.

erik, I had a hard time cutting out coke and what I ended up drinking was carbonated soda water, club soda and mineral water, add a squeeze of lime, lemon or orange for a bit of flavour if you like.

I just can’t get a taste for flat water and the carbonated waters helped satisfy the craving for coke. Now sweetened drinks, artificial or not, taste sickly to me.

Also, if it’s during the day I now drink lots of green tea. I used to have problems staying hydrated but this seems to do the trick. And mineral waters have magnesium and lots of other minerals.

Debra,

I appreciate the advice. I will have to give that a try. I never use to be a big green tea drinker, but I have also started drinking it on occasion. I’m kind of weird because I don’t have a sweet tooth for candy, desserts, etc, but I love artificially sweetened drinks…diet soda, which I know is not good for me even though there are no sugars. I will give the squeeze of lime and carbonated water a try. Thanks!

It should be noted that laroyal’s point about diet coke in the first place relates moreso to the aspect of carbonation than anything… so soda water wouldn’t really solve anything and would taste worse.

[quote]ksommer wrote:
It should be noted that laroyal’s point about diet coke in the first place relates moreso to the aspect of carbonation than anything… so soda water wouldn’t really solve anything and would taste worse.[/quote]

True, I agree 100% with ksommer on this point. Stick to regular filtered water. If you are going to drink tea, it is best to use after 2 (it contains Teanine to help you relax and it is anti-fatigue) I would drink coffee in the morning but that is me splitting hairs. The high low approach outlined by Elusive is truly excellent and I think you should do well with something like that. Too long on low carbs cna be counterproductive in terms of hormones and BCAA oxidation. I would drop the post workout carbs and use a whey/glycine/glutamine drink like the one I use in my training log. This will reduce cortisol improve insulin sensitivity and keep the fat melting off:-) Good luck and keeep us posted.

Laroyl,

Thanks for the response! I am weaning myself off of my love of diet soda, and moving towards strictly water. I wondered about the Surge. Do you think that once I get my insulin sensitivity back to where it should be then I could use Surge or something similar, or are you saying just during a cutting cycle don’t use it and use the glycine/gluatamine/whey shake? I do believe it has helped me put on some quality muscle due to simple nutrient/insulin timing.

Regarding a high/low carb cycle. Would it look something like this?

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Wednesday
1700 calories
350 grams of protein
50 grams of carbs
50grams of fat

Thursday, Friday, Saturday
3100 Calories
350 grams of protein
700 grams of carbs (clean brown rice, yams, oatmeal, Surge pre/pwo)
50 grams of fat(coming from fishoil)

2 gallons of water a day

Thanks again guys, here to learn. While I know quite a bit, I don’t no shit! :wink:

[quote]erikj wrote:
Laroyl,

Thanks for the response! I am weaning myself off of my love of diet soda, and moving towards strictly water. I wondered about the Surge. Do you think that once I get my insulin sensitivity back to where it should be then I could use Surge or something similar, or are you saying just during a cutting cycle don’t use it and use the glycine/gluatamine/whey shake? I do believe it has helped me put on some quality muscle due to simple nutrient/insulin timing.

1700 calories
350 grams of protein
50 grams of carbs
50grams of fat

3100 Calories
350 grams of protein

2 gallons of water a day

Thanks again guys, here to learn. While I know quite a bit, I don’t no shit! :wink:
[/quote]

That is a great start and I see alot of things right with what you are doing. I don’t really count kcals, just grams of protein, 2.0/lbbw. Start with a carb meal every 7 days (last meal of the day). You can re-introduce carbs Post workout as your BF gets lower but for now I would do the whey/glutamine/glycine.

Great job on the h20.

so the way I am doing in currently is carbing up on Friday night until Sunday afternoon…I posted that new carb cycle as an option.

laroyal, thanks for compliment, I have pretty good idea of what I am doing, but for carb cycling not so much.

So to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Dont’ carb up on Friday and Saturday. Just one meal a week(last meal of the day? Thanks!

[quote]erikj wrote:
Laroyl,

1700 calories
350 grams of protein
50 grams of carbs
50grams of fat

3100 Calories
350 grams of protein

2 gallons of water a day

[/quote]

I Dont think you are adding calories right. protein = 4 cals carb = 4 cals fat = 9 cals
1700 calories
350 grams of protein = 1400
50 grams of carbs = 200
50grams of fat = 450

3100 Calories
350 grams of protein = 1400
700 grams of carbs = 2800
50 grams of fat) = 450

Check and make sure Im right but I didnt want you to make a big mistake in counting calories and mess yourself up. www.fitday.com You can track calories and it will break everything down for you.

[quote]erikj wrote:
so the way I am doing in currently is carbing up on Friday night until Sunday afternoon…I posted that new carb cycle as an option.

laroyal, thanks for compliment, I have pretty good idea of what I am doing, but for carb cycling not so much.

So to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Dont’ carb up on Friday and Saturday. Just one meal a week(last meal of the day? Thanks![/quote]

yes

taddpole,

lol I actually use fitday…i was just using those calories as an example…more concerned with macros…thanks though I appreciate. Fit day is pretty good, except I find I have to create most of my foods instead of just using what they have in their database. Do you agree? Seems kind of complicated to find the actual food you are eating. I prefer to just use all natural foods and I can figure out the macros from there.

Laroyal…thank you, I will give that a try.

it looks like I’m around the same size and age as you

I ran into the same problem in the past, and am addressing it as I diet now

I’m not even giving the body time to stall. I started lowering carbs, then very low carbs-ketogenic, then adding light NEPA cardio, then a thermogenic and more frequent light cardio. I’ll see how much I drop this week, if it’s less than 1.5 pounds I’ll up the activity next week, and same thing in the future except cutting down on kcal a little.

I’m at 192 and shooting for around 182, I was at 201 before. When I hit 185 I’ll do some sort of get shredded deal pre-vacation but I’m not there yet so idk.

A lot of smart people have said to not do regular steady state cardio that is even slightly demanding because it is catabolic, especially for natural lifters, so I’m content adding 300-400 kcal a day to my caloric deficit via fast paced walking or light biking.

I see the weight loss now as more methodical and a general process, just keep working hard in the gym and moving it along. FYI I do a pretty huge carb up on Friday, and a small “cheat meal” like Laroyal suggests one weeknight the day before squatting, and it has not even slightly effected the fat loss.

Follow laroyals suggestions and dial your diet in and don’t deviate much.

good luck

actionjeff…do you have any pics, just curious? thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Will give that a try.