T Nation

Fat Loss for Powerlifters

Hi guys.

I have seen that some powerlifter of the category that i am willing to participate, doesn’t have a belly, like i do. So i was thinks on include some fat loss exercices on my routine; i don’t pretend to get ripped as a bodybuilder but i want to cut out my belly. The think is, there are so many information on internet, some contradicting another, that i just get confused.

since my goal is keep gaining much strength as possible which kind of movements should i include to burn some fat. i was thinking to do some barbell complexes on my non powerlifting days, but i really want to know your opinions to clarified all the confusion i have.

I would get your diet dialed in before worrying about cardio. I thought using the IIFYM website to calculate my calories was pretty helpful. If you get that right you may not even really need to do cardio. It can be a great tool to use if your fat loss starts to stall though. Always good to not exhaust all options at once.

Diet must be consistent to drop weight. Do it slowly and strength should hold steady. Be patient. It takes time.

Mark Bell has done and Brandon Lilly is doing carb nite. Both those guys are on point, might be something to look into. Kiefer knows his shit, and from what I hear its a super easy “diet” to follow.

[quote]pennstate29 wrote:
Mark Bell has done and Brandon Lilly is doing carb nite. Both those guys are on point, might be something to look into. Kiefer knows his shit, and from what I hear its a super easy “diet” to follow. [/quote]

Yeah, but Kiefer also seems to base his work on a lot of false assumptions and generalizations. I personally wouldn’t recommend carb backloading to anyone who hasn’t already exhausted all other more sensible and easily controllable options in terms of macronutrient, micronutrient and calorie control – especially since dramatic carb manipulation can have a pretty drastic impact on training energy.

I’ve done carb back loading. It worked for fat loss but my strength and training intensity plummeted. I know guys who swear by it though. Seems like a personal thing. Doing Carb Night seems insane to me for someone who trains hard, but then again I respond poorly to low carbs so who knows.

Not sure about his research and false is a pretty strong blanket statement. I was just simply stating that strong ass dudes have followed his protocols with great success. I do agree that everyone is different with carbs, just depends on how the OP handles his macros.

I like carb cycling, with a couple of high carb days on/around my most intense workouts, then 2-3 medium carb days and the rest pretty low carb.

I’m focusing on fat loss/strength maintenance after my meet this Saturday. Would it be ideal to switch down to three days a week for training instead of four in a deficit?

I did Carb Nite. Did not like it. I have the E-book from him. I eat balanced and get better results. It might work for some, it did not work for me.

Completely ignoring what everyone has said my advice is just to walk a few miles everyday. I recently started a part time job a few months ago that required a lot of walking and at the time I was 227ish lb with a 36 waist. One month in I was 212, closer to a 33 or 34 waist. Only strength I lost was that from being 15 pounds lighter but it wasn’t much.

Mind you I’m 18 and have no actual experience with weight/fat loss other than that. I just thought I’d add in.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I like carb cycling, with a couple of high carb days on/around my most intense workouts, then 2-3 medium carb days and the rest pretty low carb. [/quote]
This has worked incredibly well for my training partner. 2 high, 2 low, and 3 medium.