Fat/LBM ratio

While “bulking” what would a good LBM/Fat ratio be for every 10 pounds? In addition to my year goal, I have quarterly checkpoints to see if I am thinking 60/40 or 70/30, but would like to hear the thoughts of others.

I am finding it very hard to be “ok” with adding fat after all the brainwashing I went through prior to taking what I read here to heart, so any guidance on this subject would be appreciated.

-JW

(reposted as it got lost on another thread)

This is so hard to put an exact number on.

Factor in…

Starting body fat and weight…

Age…

Training Age…

Supplements…

Routine…

Diet…

I mean ideally it would be 10:0

Don’t split the hair too many times. Just take your body composition measurements and use them as a reference point. I’ll tell you though, if you are running a 60/40 or 70/30 fat/l.b.m. ratio, you need to lose some serious weight, even if the ratio was switched to l.b.m/fat.
What are your actual ratios and what is your goal?

I remember an interesting Berardi article that may be helpful.

Quoting from the article:
"One of the coolest things about this article is that a predicative equation was generated that allows us to calculate the amount of muscle and the amount of fat that we can expect to gain, based on our initial fat weight.

In addition, this very same equation is valid when dieting for the prediction of muscle loss and fat loss.

While not flawless, these equations are handy tools for estimating how much LBM and fat you may gain or lose when underfeeding or overfeeding. In addition, they allow us to decide whether it?s a good time to try to bulk up or not."

This portion of the article is near the bottom of the page.
The article and equation are here:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460718

I have no idea what my actual ratio is yet. I will have this checked again in the beginning of October. I was just looking for some guideline.

Thanks for the article link. I will give it a read.

Just a note: ratio of lean:fat gain or loss will change depending on one’s recent history(weight/dieting/supplement/nutiriton/health) … as I’ve seen alluded to here.

Individual genetic and hormonal responses to dieting and other environmental stimuli (leptin, thyroid, testosterone) also make us differ greatly from one another.

Remember, an equation that predicts anything is subject to error. Just take it with a grain of salt and you might just get some helpful information.