T Nation

Fat In Midsection for First Time

Hey all,

I’ve been lifting on and off for probably the last 10 years, starting when I was about 14, and since then I have always had a 6-pack. I don’t know if it was genetics or what but I just always had a six pack.

However, about 6 months ago my six pack started to fade and now it’s still kind of there but is covered with what I believe is a layer of fat. It’s just not very defined or hard as it used to be. Also, I appear to be getting “love handles” on my sides.

I hadn’t worked out hard for months, but then again I had stopped lifting in the past but the six-pack was always there no matter what.

Now I’m lifting again, but my question is:

Do I need to add cardio to help burn this fat off or will lifting alone do it? I’ve heard doing ab exercises does not help to get rid of fat on the midsection…

Thanks!

Diet. It probably matters far more than any lifting or cardio. Not that those aren’t important too.

If you’ve naturally been pretty lean in the midsection, then you should be fine just cleaning up your diet. If after a couple of weeks you find you’re not making progress to where you want to be, then throw in some cardio. I personally don’t do that much cardio when I’m dieting down–just like 20 minutes on the treadmill after my weights. Some people need more; some people need less.

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:

I hadn’t worked out hard for months [/quote]

I don’t get it. You say something like this, and then you ask why you’re getting a layer of fat on your belly. What the fuck? Go train you idiot.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:

I hadn’t worked out hard for months [/quote]

I don’t get it. You say something like this, and then you ask why you’re getting a layer of fat on your belly. What the fuck? Go train you idiot.[/quote]

Lol. I missed that part. At least he claims to be starting back again

After 5 years on this site?