Fat Head (Movie)

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I never said Supersize Me was a good documentary. Yeah, it was over the top. Thats how it got attention.

Americans who move to europe get shorter? Ok, maybe they start smoking - but you’re aruging my point exactly, there… people tend to go with whatever is easier/“normal” in the environtment they’re in. I never said the displaced Americans “suddenly become much healthier in every way”, just that they lose weight.

Does Europe have McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, etc, on every street? Is all the food in Europe packed to the balls with HFCS and hydrogenated oils? Didnt Europe ban trans fats?[/quote]

Haha. No, I do not believe Americans will magically start shrinking. I meant over several generations due to the environment.

Europe does not have fast food on every street. And I believe they don’t have the items you listed. They do have mcdonalds, and at least through most of Europe, there are bakeries/cafes on every street. A documentary could be made just as easily on someone indulging in all the European goodies and sending their health to hell. The reason they are thinner, is because overeating is less culturally acceptable, so they eat less on average. Still doesn’t change the fact that they are malnourished. So yes, we’re agreeing on this point. Most people will follow everyone around them, so what do you personally recommend as a solution? You have already indicated you don’t think the “personal responsibility” card is valid. [/quote]

Raise food standards. Ban trans fats. Tax sugar, use the money to subsidize vegetables.

I know it wont happen, but one can dream, yeah?[/quote]

My only problem with that is that you’d be putting the power in the government’s hands…the very same government that is the REASON we are facing an obesity epidemic. I think I look at it from a more “power to the people” point of view. The advantage of the free market we live in, is that if/when people STOP eating all HFCS/trans fat heavy products, they will come off the shelves.

this is a capitalist society that is based on what people demand…People want high calorie food, and there will always be people willing to supply them such food in exchange for profits…

even if they rationed food to people, i guarentee you people would be buying/selling rations to eachother…it is human nature…

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I never said Supersize Me was a good documentary. Yeah, it was over the top. Thats how it got attention.

Americans who move to europe get shorter? Ok, maybe they start smoking - but you’re aruging my point exactly, there… people tend to go with whatever is easier/“normal” in the environtment they’re in. I never said the displaced Americans “suddenly become much healthier in every way”, just that they lose weight.

Does Europe have McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, etc, on every street? Is all the food in Europe packed to the balls with HFCS and hydrogenated oils? Didnt Europe ban trans fats?[/quote]

Haha. No, I do not believe Americans will magically start shrinking. I meant over several generations due to the environment.

Europe does not have fast food on every street. And I believe they don’t have the items you listed. They do have mcdonalds, and at least through most of Europe, there are bakeries/cafes on every street. A documentary could be made just as easily on someone indulging in all the European goodies and sending their health to hell. The reason they are thinner, is because overeating is less culturally acceptable, so they eat less on average. Still doesn’t change the fact that they are malnourished. So yes, we’re agreeing on this point. Most people will follow everyone around them, so what do you personally recommend as a solution? You have already indicated you don’t think the “personal responsibility” card is valid. [/quote]

Raise food standards. Ban trans fats. Tax sugar, use the money to subsidize vegetables.

My only problem with that is that you’d be putting the power in the government’s hands…the very same government that is the REASON we are facing an obesity epidemic. I think I look at it from a more “power to the people” point of view. The advantage of the free market we live in, is that if/when people STOP eating all HFCS/trans fat heavy products, they will come off the shelves. [/quote]

How is the government the reason for the epidemic? I see cheap, unhealthy food everywhere, and a multi-billion dollar industry designed to make you eat even when you arent hungry.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

My only problem with that is that you’d be putting the power in the government’s hands…the very same government that is the REASON we are facing an obesity epidemic. I think I look at it from a more “power to the people” point of view. The advantage of the free market we live in, is that if/when people STOP eating all HFCS/trans fat heavy products, they will come off the shelves. [/quote]

How is the government the reason for the epidemic? I see cheap, unhealthy food everywhere, and a multi-billion dollar industry designed to make you eat even when you arent hungry. [/quote]

Well, I believe government agencies like the Department of Agriculture are behind the whole construction of the food pyramid, and the fact that corn is in EVERYTHING.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

How is the government the reason for the epidemic? I see cheap, unhealthy food everywhere, and a multi-billion dollar industry designed to make you eat even when you arent hungry. [/quote]

Well, I believe government agencies like the Department of Agriculture are behind the whole construction of the food pyramid, and the fact that corn is in EVERYTHING. [/quote]

Yeeeeah. I asked about that in my Concepts of Health and Fitness class.

“Why are we letting the department of agriculture dictate our food recommendations? Shouldnt we assume they will recommend foods that will make them money?”

Response? “Well, its just a guideline, and its not for everybody”

Yeah. Great. With policy like that its no surprise we’re overweight.

So you have a really good point there. Still, like I think another poster said, a lot of it is capitalism. It doesn’t matter that shit food is bad for people and makes them die - its cheap and has a high profit margin. So we’re surrounded by it.

The personal responsibility argument, IMO, fails when you’re talking about a level such as national health. Its like saying “If everyone in the ghetto all at once decided to go to college and get jobs, there would be no ghetto!” or “If all the students in this failing school district just studied harder, it wouldn’t be failing!”

Watched it on Netflix last night. Good view, some pretty good/interesting points.

But, was I the only one who wanted to shoot myself becuause of how cheesy it was? Tom Naughton was just terrible

dudes wife is pretty hot though…

somewhat impressed lol

Thought Fat Head a good movie. From time to time I also check out the director’s nutrition blog sight. He writes a couple times a week about the latest health news.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Well, I believe government agencies like the Department of Agriculture are behind the whole construction of the food pyramid, and the fact that corn is in EVERYTHING. [/quote]

Yeeeeah. I asked about that in my Concepts of Health and Fitness class.

“Why are we letting the department of agriculture dictate our food recommendations? Shouldnt we assume they will recommend foods that will make them money?”

Response? “Well, its just a guideline, and its not for everybody”

Yeah. Great. With policy like that its no surprise we’re overweight.

So you have a really good point there. Still, like I think another poster said, a lot of it is capitalism. It doesn’t matter that shit food is bad for people and makes them die - its cheap and has a high profit margin. So we’re surrounded by it.

The personal responsibility argument, IMO, fails when you’re talking about a level such as national health. Its like saying “If everyone in the ghetto all at once decided to go to college and get jobs, there would be no ghetto!” or “If all the students in this failing school district just studied harder, it wouldn’t be failing!” [/quote]

Wow. That’s unfortunate that your professor doesn’t know how to take a stance. Unfortunately, I think everything you’re saying is true, and it will depress you if you think about it too long. Personal responsibility argument does fail at the national health level, but I think you’ll have better luck getting people to change their habits on a SMALLER scale that way (i.e. classrooms, documentaries, etc…) As Tommy Lee Jones says in Men in Black, “A PERSON is smart, but people are dumb.” Appeal to a PERSON’s strong qualities and show them how to make informed decisions, rather than just scaring them of the alternative or letting them blame it all on the “environment.” Influencing 1 in 100 in a step in the right direction. A lot of the members on this site have made bad lifestyle choices and eaten shit in the past. We are all that much more motivated to do things right now. So people can change.

[quote]bizeb02 wrote:
I watched the Fathead documentary and thought he was thought provoking. Tom talks about how Spulock didn’t provide a food log for what he ate each day, but I searched and haven’t been able to find Tom’s food log either… interesting! [/quote]

well at atleast you saw his sheets, he came in around 1900 to 2000 calories a day
100 grams of carbs
I saw sausage mcmuffin with egg almost every morning
for snack carb option fudge bar

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

[quote]bizeb02 wrote:
I watched the Fathead documentary and thought he was thought provoking. Tom talks about how Spulock didn’t provide a food log for what he ate each day, but I searched and haven’t been able to find Tom’s food log either… interesting! [/quote]

well at atleast you saw his sheets, he came in around 1900 to 2000 calories a day
100 grams of carbs
I saw sausage mcmuffin with egg almost every morning
for snack carb option fudge bar

[/quote]
As Jlats posted - his food log is available at My Food Log

I think we should do a movie where a guy eats nothing but chicken breasts, brown rice, veggies and fruit for a month BUT we keep the Kcals at the same level the shit head from super size me was eating(I vaulter) and see how close to the 20Lbs of fat we get.

My bet, exactly the same amount of fat, if not a tiny bit less(<3 - 4 lbs due to protein and veggies being more thermodynamic than a big mac).

Now that, that would be a film.

[quote]Oregand wrote:
I think we should do a movie where a guy eats nothing but chicken breasts, brown rice, veggies and fruit for a month BUT we keep the Kcals at the same level the shit head from super size me was eating(I vaulter) and see how close to the 20Lbs of fat we get.

My bet, exactly the same amount of fat, if not a tiny bit less(<3 - 4 lbs due to protein and veggies being more thermodynamic than a big mac).

Now that, that would be a film.[/quote]

Or have the subject be Daryl Gee, who trains 3 times a day with CT, and utilizes the Anaconda protocol, taking in the exact same calories. He’d probably gain weight and lose fat haha, that would shock people

[quote]Oregand wrote:

First time I see a person get fat on a diet like that (assuming 95% of the diet isn’t the rice and fruit part), I’ll personally bake and mail you a batch of cookies.

[quote]Oregand wrote:

First time I see a person get fat on a diet like that (assuming 95% of the diet isn’t the rice and fruit part), I’ll personally bake and mail you a batch of cookies. [/quote]

You are on!

Give me 3 months, a film crew and enough chicken, brown rice and veggies to feed a nation and ill get it done.

lol this guy ^^^^ ate 3kg of carrots in a single sitting…

i think you will lose that bet capped…