Fat Guy in Bodybuilding

I’ve noticed that most if not all guys in bodybuilding seem to start off as light skinny guys. Then again, I haven’t put in tons of research but what happens if your a fat guy. Like me, 5’10, 260lbs. Do I train to get cut first then work on more size? The bodybuilding contest in my area is in October, but I was thinking I wouldn’t be ready by this October, so I was going to give myself till October 2013.

Not only do you not have enough time to compete, this inquiry alone shows that you’ll have to wait until October, 2013, to compete. Get your bodyfat under control, say around 12 to 15%, maintain it and continue hard training. Then allow yourself enough time to prepare for a show, 3 to 5 months.

Keep in mind that getting down to 12 to 15% doesn’t entail a full blown restrictive diet, but rather a flexible, lifestyle diet and regular training that allows for some indulgence here and there, say one or two cheat meals per week. At 260 you can even gain some lean mass while trimming down.

What are you doing now diet wise?

Definitely start by dropping some fat first. You aren’t going to see much visible change if you start off trying to gain weight at first due to carrying some extra fat, plus it’s just healthier not to walk around at high bodyfat levels.

Like Brickhead said, getting down to 12-15% isn’t that stressful compared to getting contest lean or even “ripped”. It’ll just take some time and some effort. Your main focus right now is just to learn how to eat right, start training (and push yourself in the weight room), and do some light cardio (since your bigger, try exercise bike or eliptical. They’ll be easier on your joints). Odds are very good your lifts will go up while your weight goes down.

Once your leaner (not necessarily 6 pack), then start focusing on getting bigger.

And yeah theres no way you’ll be ready to compete in 3 months. Sorry. Next October? Sure.

At BrickHead - I just went shopping yesterday. Bought a bunch of white rice, chicken breast, celery, egg whites and oatmeal.
I also have several containers of Metabolic Drive Low Carb.
BTW - thanks for y’alls input, I greatly appreciate it.

[quote]calves wrote:
At BrickHead - I just went shopping yesterday. Bought a bunch of white rice, chicken breast, celery, egg whites and oatmeal.
I also have several containers of Metabolic Drive Low Carb.
BTW - thanks for y’alls input, I greatly appreciate it.[/quote]

What do your fat sources look like? Some good staples:
olive oil
coconut oil
walnuts
peanut butter
avocados

Addressing your OP: I think your generalization may actually be correct. My reasoning is the following. Bodybuilding takes many many years of putting on size. The skinny guys with the metabolism of a hummingbird on meth can go balls to the walls for quite awhile before fat gain needs to get into check, while guys who start off on the other end of the spectrum always have to be careful and scale back from time to time throughout the year. Just my theory.

I get this vibe alot from the forums around here actually. Guys who start of on one end of the spectrum seldom relate to the other. Like some just saying EAT, EAT, EAT and not understanding why keeping fat gain in check could really be important for the original poster. Or someone telling a skinny poster he’s overdoing it with the calories, even though he’s NOT GAINING on 5,000 cals/day!!

IMO possible advantages of being an Endomorph: Being able to naturally move heavy weights from the get go due to proportional strength levels developed over the years.

Possible advantages of being an Ectomorph: Usually smaller bone structure, and small joints add to the illusion of improved size (as does leanness) if we’re talking actual bodybuilding here, not just filling out a t-shirt at the bar.

@CALVES: 5’10 and 260 lbs is pretty heavy. While I’m sure you’ve got a considerable amount of muscle, getting contest lean by October is just not feasible if you want to look respectable onstage (I’m sure of the the amazing coaches on the Biggest Loser could have you drop the scale weight, but no way in hell you’d look like a bodybuilder). Brick offered up good advice. Try to get yourself to a reasonable BF level, and then shift into more of a recomposition period, where you still drop BF at a slower pace, while also focusing on increasing lean muscle. One step at a time :slight_smile:

S

Allow me to chime in as someone who went from 50% BF to 17% BF because of bodybuilding style training.

Lose the fat first and keep it off. Disregard recommendations to eat like a train wreck. You’ve taught yourself to eat enough, believe me. It’s not my ability to eat that holds back my gains. Figure out your BMR/basic calorie expenditure and add maybe 500 cals to it when you’re ready to focus on adding muscle. Forget instinctual eating for 2-3 yrs. Guys like us are a train wreck when it comes to that. We need to dial in the macros, calories and portion control.

You’ll see what somatotype you are when you’re lean. Believe it or not, some mesos and ectos get fat anyway.

Out of the gate you’ll be strong for a beginner, but not strong compared to anyone who’s trained for any length of time.

My starting weights in 2007 : Squat 95, Bench 135, deadlift 165.
Weights after 2 solid years of cutting: Squat 135, bench 185, deadlift 225. Probably could have done more, but was focused on cardio and maintaining a caloric deficit.

I just want to add that I looked at your photos and I wouldn’t describe you as “fat”.

I’m 6’ and 255 and I would only say (for myself too of course!) we are CSTLAFPs.

(Could Stand To Lose a Few Pounds)

[quote]Samir wrote:
Allow me to chime in as someone who went from 50% BF to 17% BF because of bodybuilding style training.

Lose the fat first and keep it off. Disregard recommendations to eat like a train wreck. You’ve taught yourself to eat enough, believe me. It’s not my ability to eat that holds back my gains. Figure out your BMR/basic calorie expenditure and add maybe 500 cals to it when you’re ready to focus on adding muscle. Forget instinctual eating for 2-3 yrs. Guys like us are a train wreck when it comes to that. We need to dial in the macros, calories and portion control.

You’ll see what somatotype you are when you’re lean. Believe it or not, some mesos and ectos get fat anyway.

Out of the gate you’ll be strong for a beginner, but not strong compared to anyone who’s trained for any length of time.

My starting weights in 2007 : Squat 95, Bench 135, deadlift 165.
Weights after 2 solid years of cutting: Squat 135, bench 185, deadlift 225. Probably could have done more, but was focused on cardio and maintaining a caloric deficit.
[/quote]

I like this response.

I looked through your pictures. I don’t think prepping for a competition a year from now is realistic.

even looking at myself i think 2 years is realistic for me.
(4-6 more months of cutting)
(12 months of gaining size/picking apart and improving weak areas)
(then maintaining leanness/size for 6 months or so before starting contest prep)

how long have you been into this bodybuilding thing/working out?

You’re not fat but, you could get leaner.
you need to spend a year or two getting bigger all around while not letting the bf get out of control and then think about prepping for a show.

@ jskrabac - the only EFA i get are from Flameout. I do spray a Extra Olive Oil on the pan when I cook my egg whites but I don’t know if that even counts.

@ The Mighty Stu and Samir - Thanks for the advice, it will really help!

@Nards - the pics I have in my photo album are me in actually decent shape. Last year I was chosen as one of the first to try that Indigo 3 product so I had to post some before pics and thats still how I look now. Not because the product didn’t work but because shortly after I purchased the product I went through the process of moving and got real busy at work. So I haven’t really worked out for about a year now.

I’ll repost the pics here so you can see…I’m a fatty. LMAO

This is from roughly a year ago, but I still look the exact same.

Side shot

back

[quote]calves wrote:
This is from roughly a year ago, but I still look the exact same.[/quote]

hire a coach. spend the next year getting lean.

[quote]calves wrote:
I’ve noticed that most if not all guys in bodybuilding seem to start off as light skinny guys. Then again, I haven’t put in tons of research but what happens if your a fat guy. Like me, 5’10, 260lbs. Do I train to get cut first then work on more size? The bodybuilding contest in my area is in October, but I was thinking I wouldn’t be ready by this October, so I was going to give myself till October 2013.[/quote]

hey man, i started off in january 2011 at 250+ lbs, 6’2", i now stand at 240, 3 pants sizes smaller and more than twice as strong on my lifts. i never focussed on losing weight or getting lean until a week or two ago, im on day 4 of a diet and i feel great. it can be done

I like my bb shows to have guys at 40 to 70 percent bf and 120 pounds

I’ll tell you why you need to lean down. You’re like hovering around 30% you look like me 6 months ago except with less muscle.

extra abdominal fat can increase your chance of creating extra aromatase enzyme. This enzyme will synthesize estradiol from testosterone.
Not what you want.

still focus on lifting and trying to get stronger you’re just going to have to eat in a way that is conducive for weight loss.

[quote]calves wrote:
@ jskrabac - the only EFA i get are from Flameout. I do spray a Extra Olive Oil on the pan when I cook my egg whites but I don’t know if that even counts.

[/quote]

Wait, fish oil is your only fat source?!!!

most skinny guys have a complex about getting bigger, thus greater interest in extremism of BB.