T Nation

Fat Guy in a Little Coat- Powerlifting Log

way to go, Meat! Do you always squat from a box, or do you squat free as well. I know the standard WS response is to squat free only at meets, I’m just curious about your philosophy on this.
Old Lardass

Meat this thread reads like a clinic.
thanks again for sharing, and awesome work

kmc

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
way to go, Meat! Do you always squat from a box, or do you squat free as well. I know the standard WS response is to squat free only at meets, I’m just curious about your philosophy on this.
Old Lardass[/quote]

thanks hoss!!

actually i’m not a big fan of the ol’ box for normal training. we are using it for this minicycle to teach one of my new guys how to squat. it’s a great teaching tool though.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

actually i’m not a big fan of the ol’ box for normal training. we are using it for this minicycle to teach one of my new guys how to squat. it’s a great teaching tool though.
[/quote]

Whew - just the climb to the top of the mountain is tough, but now that I’m here…

Please help me out Master meat, what does the box teach?

Seriously Thanks!

  • Bagger

[quote]Bagger wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

actually i’m not a big fan of the ol’ box for normal training. we are using it for this minicycle to teach one of my new guys how to squat. it’s a great teaching tool though.

Whew - just the climb to the top of the mountain is tough, but now that I’m here…

Please help me out Master meat, what does the box teach?

Seriously Thanks!

  • Bagger
    [/quote]

the box is a great tool for teaching when you are at proper depth. i would venture to say that most gym goers squat high. when using a box, you know you hit parallel when you reach the box. after awhile you can instinctively know when you are at parallel by how your body feels when you get there. for me, my belt digs into my hips when i hit parallel.

also, the box teaches you to sit back into your squat. if you set it up so that it’s slightly behind you, you have to sit back to reach it. now as a raw squatter, i don’t sit back very far but sitting back some brings the hips into play and builds tension in them on the way down.

another great thing about a box is teaching tightness in the hole. when i teach someone to squat to a box, i teach them to not anticipate where the box is. i tell them to continually force the knees out on the way down until they actually reach the box. then once they reach it, they stay really tight and with all that built up tension, they should fly off the box. unfortunately most people don’t do these things when they box squat. they plop down and then rock to get off of it. then they wonder why their free squat sucks. a box squat should be done exactly the way you do a free squat.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Meat this thread reads like a clinic.
thanks again for sharing, and awesome work

kmc[/quote]

thanks!! i appreciate it. it’s amazing the polar opposite responses i get here compared to some of the crap i get on my youtube videos.

Hardcore strong bro!

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
Hardcore strong bro![/quote]

thanks Jimmy. this four week minicycle is the first i’ve squatted fairly heavy in many many months. my lower back fatigued really quickly. i plan to get my reverse band squat up over 800lbs. that should put my raw squat back up around 700.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
Meat this thread reads like a clinic.
thanks again for sharing, and awesome work

kmc

thanks!! i appreciate it. it’s amazing the polar opposite responses i get here compared to some of the crap i get on my youtube videos.
[/quote]

Yeah, I get “Dyoode arching like that is cheating and wioll give u herpes.”

The internet has made everyone expert.
I think watching the vids lets me see what I am doing wrong or right.

I need to get on taking/posting videos
but really I like the effort you put in to share.

and pushmepullme what kind of videos are you posting?
kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
The internet has made everyone expert.
I think watching the vids lets me see what I am doing wrong or right.

I need to get on taking/posting videos
but really I like the effort you put in to share.

and pushmepullme what kind of videos are you posting?
kmc[/quote]

Squats, deadlifts, bench, training and one from a meet. I post them so my coach, who lives 45 minutes south of me, can critique and whatnot, since I can’t train with him all the time.

Oh, and there’s a video of my cat licking his balls. That’s the best one.

I have not seen the one of you cat.
but I have watched several of your vids…
and its good , GOOD progess.

I was teasing about the kind of arching you might be doing.

kmc

Meat,

you are a crazy strong dude. this thread is really interesting, would you mind sharing with us what supplements you take? and what is your favorite protein?

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
Meat this thread reads like a clinic.
thanks again for sharing, and awesome work

kmc

thanks!! i appreciate it. it’s amazing the polar opposite responses i get here compared to some of the crap i get on my youtube videos.

Yeah, I get “Dyoode arching like that is cheating and wioll give u herpes.”[/quote]

When I did Myspace, there were some guys who were legit, but so many morons. As I like to say “It’s not the heat that bothers me. It’s the stupidity.” (You know, instead of humidity)

ba-dum-bum.

Meat, your videos and threads are great. An Over 35 Lifter training get together would be the balls.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
The internet has made everyone expert.
I think watching the vids lets me see what I am doing wrong or right.

I need to get on taking/posting videos
but really I like the effort you put in to share.

and pushmepullme what kind of videos are you posting?
kmc

Squats, deadlifts, bench, training and one from a meet. I post them so my coach, who lives 45 minutes south of me, can critique and whatnot, since I can’t train with him all the time.

Oh, and there’s a video of my cat licking his balls. That’s the best one.[/quote]

So your coach lives in Pueblo?

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
The internet has made everyone expert.
I think watching the vids lets me see what I am doing wrong or right.

I need to get on taking/posting videos
but really I like the effort you put in to share.

and pushmepullme what kind of videos are you posting?
kmc

Squats, deadlifts, bench, training and one from a meet. I post them so my coach, who lives 45 minutes south of me, can critique and whatnot, since I can’t train with him all the time.

Oh, and there’s a video of my cat licking his balls. That’s the best one.

So your coach lives in Pueblo? [/quote]

No, I’m in Thornton, he’s down off of County Line and I-25.

And kmc, I also have different arching videos, but those ones are on a pay site. :stuck_out_tongue:

You may now return to your regularly scheduled talent.

[quote]montez wrote:
Meat,

you are a crazy strong dude. this thread is really interesting, would you mind sharing with us what supplements you take? and what is your favorite protein?[/quote]

thanks bro.

the only supplement that i take is a carb/BCAA/creatine drink during my training. mainly because i’m not a big fan of community water fountains.

I don’t take protein shakes anymore. i think there’s to much hype behind supplements. i think natural sources of protein combined with plenty of recovery time is the best bet. When i was at a point where i was trying to gain weight to get up to my current weight class i drank a ton of muscle milk. Now i usually sit around 275-285, so there’s no need for that.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
The internet has made everyone expert.
I think watching the vids lets me see what I am doing wrong or right.

I need to get on taking/posting videos
but really I like the effort you put in to share.

and pushmepullme what kind of videos are you posting?
kmc

Squats, deadlifts, bench, training and one from a meet. I post them so my coach, who lives 45 minutes south of me, can critique and whatnot, since I can’t train with him all the time.

Oh, and there’s a video of my cat licking his balls. That’s the best one.

So your coach lives in Pueblo?

No, I’m in Thornton, he’s down off of County Line and I-25.

And kmc, I also have different arching videos, but those ones are on a pay site. :stuck_out_tongue:

You may now return to your regularly scheduled talent.[/quote]

could you give me the specific channel of those particular vids??:slight_smile:

today was the first time since i dropped the bar on my chest that i was able to pull something heavy. i switched to conventional because it felt better on the chest.

The standing military presses put a lot of stress on the chest. so did the bent over dumbell rows. i started light and will work up as i feel better.

Reverse band deadlifts
245x6
425x4
515x4
605x3
695x3x5

standing military presses- i don’t remember ever doing these before. i’ve always done them as a push press or seated. they were pretty tough. hopefully i’ll get the hang of them soon. they were pretty hard on my chest.

135x6
225x5,3,3

bent over dumbell rows
100x 10, 25, 25

reverse curls with false grip
40 x 10 x 3

hammer curl done “21’s” style

30 x 30

standing calf raise

some x 12 x 4

it was good to get back to some accessory work. i’ll steadly add weight to each week.

Man - I wanna try these reverse band DL’s. I may be forced to go to the 24 Hour Fits just so’s I can use the power rack there…