T Nation

Fat Guy in a Little Coat- Powerlifting Log

i’m lov’n the bands. i was a major band whore tonight. set some more baseline PR’s

Reverse band bench press- blue strong bands

315x10
405x6
495x6
605x3x3-20lb PR from last week.

reverse band close grip bench- paused
455x5x5- +1 rep PR on all sets

speed bench with minibands
225x3x8

that’s it…

Just when I was feeling strong I come over to your thread. Slaps me right back to reality.

You have any specific goals right now or just lifting heavy? Following your own program or another?

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Just when I was feeling strong I come over to your thread. Slaps me right back to reality.

You have any specific goals right now or just lifting heavy? Following your own program or another?[/quote]

thanks bro. i’m definitely training for the World’s in october but i may do one or two smaller ones before then. i still need to get my chest issue fully healed up first. squatting doesn’t seem to bother it but pulling does.

anyway… my training is always my own invention. i’m doing a four week minicycle of band work mostly overloading the top end of my lifts. i’ll test my lifts after the four weeks and then incorporate the bands in with more straight weight stuff.

Hey, Meat, are you an owner/employee of Staley, or you just train there? Been meaning to ask…

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
Hey, Meat, are you an owner/employee of Staley, or you just train there? Been meaning to ask…[/quote]

Charles Staley sponsors my powerlifting. I was their first sponsored athlete.

Hey meat - you looked at some of my videos over on Staley’s site a while back (work started blocking it for some reason). Could you give me some pointers over on my log?

I linked some videos a few posts back.

Thanks!

Reverse band box squats
225x10
315x10
405x6
495x6
585x1
675x3x2

sumo speed deadlifts against minibands
135x6
225x4
315x3x8

incline situps and HGR’s

some x some

first time doing speed deads against minis. i enjoyed them.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
135x6
225x4
315x3x8

[/quote]

Meat, impressive lifting. It looks like you’re having way too much fun with the bands.

I couldn’t help but notice a rather large guy (you) deadlifting and a couple not large guys curling in the background. Keep up the good work. Your log is informative to me.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
135x6
225x4
315x3x8

Meat, impressive lifting. It looks like you’re having way too much fun with the bands.

I couldn’t help but notice a rather large guy (you) deadlifting and a couple not large guys curling in the background. Keep up the good work. Your log is informative to me.
[/quote]

thanks hoss.

yeah… i’m lov’n the bands. it definitely a change from just straight weight.

I believe in deadlifts for the girls… instead of the more popular curls for the girls.

Wow, I’m not sure what else to say!

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
hawkcapt1912 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
135x6
225x4
315x3x8

thanks hoss.

yeah… i’m lov’n the bands. it definitely a change from just straight weight.

I believe in deadlifts for the girls… instead of the more popular curls for the girls.

[/quote]

There’s an article to be written from that…

had a good night set weight PR’s across the board.

reverse band bench press
315x10
405x6
495x4
585x1
635x1
635x2
635x2+ 30lb PR

reverse band close grip bench press
495x5x5 + 50lb PR

speed bench against minibands
275x3x8+50lb PR

Looks like the bands are taking you to some good places…

Nice… PR’s all the way across. Lookin’ good Boss

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Looks like the bands are taking you to some good places…[/quote]

I second that! Nice work.

thanks guys!!

i hope so. we will find out in two weeks.

tonight i’m hoping to hit 725 with the reverse bands on box squats. should be interesting. the bands cause some bar whip on the box squats. with the heavier wieght it’s sometimes hard to keep everything tight.

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Looks like the bands are taking you to some good places…

I second that! Nice work.

[/quote]

Third

tonight was a good night. it looks pretty short but it was really heavy and very taxing.

reverse band box squats
225x6
315x6
405x4
495x3
585x1
725x2-50lb PR from last week. I had planned to do 3 sets of 2 but my lower back was toast after this set. Next week i’ll keep the weight at 725 and try to get two sets of two.

Hack squat machine- paused

2plates x 3
6 x 3
8 x 3
10 x 3
12 x 3- this set was really hard.

that’s it.

Once again… truly inspirational.
Bet your feeling that today, no flying squirrels I bet… maybe hobbling squirrel?

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
Once again… truly inspirational.
Bet your feeling that today, no flying squirrels I bet… maybe hobbling squirrel?[/quote]

thanks bro.

legs feel okay but my lower back is fatigued. i can definitely tell that i haven’t squatted heavy in awhile.

the bands add a whole new dimension to my training.