T Nation

Fat Gain While Bulking

Hi there, I have been training for 11 months now. I have put on around 30 pounds. In doing so i have also managed to increase my waist size from 30 to 32. I was pretty much thin to start off with. Is this normal? I have started to go on John Berardi's diet schedule in the book scrawy to brawny.

Basically just starting to regulate carbohydrates but substituting with fat and proteins. Please guide me. And yes I have 13% body fat i think.

[quote]dipym666 wrote:
Hi there, I have been training for 11 months now.[/quote]

What’s your current height, weight, and age?

30 pounds and two inches on the waist is fine.

How much has your strength increased? What are you using on the squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift, and row?

[quote]I have started to go on John Berardi’s diet schedule in the book scrawy to brawny.

Basically just starting to regulate carbohydrates but substituting with fat and proteins.[/quote]

Follow the program to the letter and you’ll do fine. There are other options too, but if that’s the program you want to go with, it has gotten other people less-scrawny.

First of all, why do you think that? Secondly, why does it matter? If you’re gaining weight, getting stronger, and looking better, what does a bodyfat measurement matter?

What’s your current height, weight, and age? - 5 ft 10 inches, age = 29

How much has your strength increased? What are you using on the squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift, and row?
All final sets
Squat - beginning it was 35 kg x 10, now its 70 x 10
Bench press - beginning = 20kg x 10, current = 45 x 10
overhead press - begin = 10kg x 10, current = 30 x 10
barbell rows - begin = 15kg x 10, current = 30 x 10
Deadlifts - didn’t start off with it. currently have problems with back rounding so working on hip and hamstring mobility.

First of all, why do you think that? Secondly, why does it matter? If you’re gaining weight, getting stronger, and looking better, what does a bodyfat measurement matter?
I did an measurement. well just that my abs are not visible. and i have stored fat in the lower ab region and love handles. Well, even when my waist was 29 still my abs weren’t visible lol! I just wanna make my muscles a lil more visible i guess.

And currently i weigh 178 pounds

Are you actually following S2B? I seem to remember that the programme rarely uses squats, deadlifts and bench in the 10 rep range. More like 4-6 reps.

Anyway, 30 lbs and a 2 inch waist gain seems pretty good to me.

I’m only using the nutrition aspects of the program…

There is no uniform figure for everybody but for example if you had gained 6 or fewer pounds per inch of waist increase, then it would be reasonable to worry that it was all fat or mostly fat.

You’ve put on 15 lb per inch of waist size.

Unless you have strange bodyfat characteristics and have, for example, thunderously fat legs while having a fairly trim waist – and I trust this is not the case – you’ve achieved a very good ratio of muscle to fat gain and there is no need for you to worry about it.

Or another way of looking at it: 2 inches in 11 months is by no means packing on the blubber at an excessive rate.

Don’t worry about small amounts of fat gain while bulking (and yes, your gains of fat, unless I read wrong are very small).

[quote]dipym666 wrote:
I’m only using the nutrition aspects of the program…[/quote]

I’m ready to bet you’ll get better gains if you followed the whole program (diet+training), but, as every poster has already said, you’re doing fine so far.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
There is no uniform figure for everybody but for example if you had gained 6 or fewer pounds per inch of waist increase, then it would be reasonable to worry that it was all fat or mostly fat.

You’ve put on 15 lb per inch of waist size.

Unless you have strange bodyfat characteristics and have, for example, thunderously fat legs while having a fairly trim waist – and I trust this is not the case – you’ve achieved a very good ratio of muscle to fat gain and there is no need for you to worry about it.

Or another way of looking at it: 2 inches in 11 months is by no means packing on the blubber at an excessive rate.[/quote]

Ha ha… no odd characteristics… I’m pretty much your normal ectomorph and glad to hear that I’m not putting fat at an excessive rate… but its really weird to notice a bit of chubbiness in the stomach when all other body parts look decent enough. My aim is basically to be a ripped 180 pound guy.

[quote]fabiop wrote:
dipym666 wrote:
I’m only using the nutrition aspects of the program…

I’m ready to bet you’ll get better gains if you followed the whole program (diet+training), but, as every poster has already said, you’re doing fine so far.

[/quote]

I started off with your traditional one body part per week program but read stuff and switched onto a vertical pull push, horizontal pull push and quad hip dominant program supersetting antagonistic muscle pairs - 3 days a week… gee i didn’t know that programs had diet patterns as well. I just calculated that I need xxx calories if i work out 3 days a week… and thats it.

Hey man you are almost exactly the same height and weight as me (and the same body fat % almost)… LOL.

Let me know how things are going for you, since I am in the same shape pretty much. I am trying to bulk but apparently I also gain fat easily too (it doesnt help that in the last week or so i’ve been eating a lot of fast food). My waist size is 34, so you can say that I have a bit more around the stomach.

Currently I’ve been doing 135 lbs bench press, 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
My deadlifts I just started recently at 110 lbs and just doing sets of 10 x 3-4.
Haven’t done squats but will start to look into it once I learn the correct form and tech.

[quote]salamando wrote:
Hey man you are almost exactly the same height and weight as me (and the same body fat % almost)… LOL.

Let me know how things are going for you, since I am in the same shape pretty much. I am trying to bulk but apparently I also gain fat easily too (it doesnt help that in the last week or so i’ve been eating a lot of fast food). My waist size is 34, so you can say that I have a bit more around the stomach.

Currently I’ve been doing 135 lbs bench press, 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
My deadlifts I just started recently at 110 lbs and just doing sets of 10 x 3-4.
Haven’t done squats but will start to look into it once I learn the correct form and tech. [/quote]

if thats your picture in the avatar, my abs are not visible… just a hint. other than that i pretty much look the same

You gotta be be disciplined with eating though… clean food.