fat free mozarella vs cottage cheese

Heres a quick question for yall, is fat free mozarella a good option for a late protein meal. Dont get me wrong i know cottage cheese is always considered a good late night snack but what about fat free mozarella?? Its a casein protein source too right???

bump

I believe most cheeses are predominately casein based. However, I’m not familair with fat free mozarella. Whats the macro-nutrient break down off the nutrition facts label on the package?

I gotta take a look at this when I get home. I have a book there that’s jam packed with info on over 40,000 foods. Or I can just ask Ko :wink:

for one slice (1oz)
12 grams protein
1g carb
1g fat
its not 100% fat free put pretty close

The macro-nutrient breakdown would indicate that it would be an excellent high protein snack and should work well before bed. Add in some fish oil or flax oil for EFA’s and you’d be set.

cani ask a simple question?how come cottage cheese is considered to be a good source of protein?the food label states that it only has around 10% protein only.

Hey! I’m sorry! That shite is nasssssty! I dont care who you are bodybuilder or powerlifter fat free cheese is nastaaay! eat some cottage cheese (at least 2%) when your craving cheese it’s not the same as monterey jack over refried pinto beans (GOD DAMN I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD, ESPECIALLY MENUDO AND POSOLE,AND BIRRIA, TAMALES AHHHH!)Anyway eat this guy John Berardi’s plan. It makes sense if you really look at it. MASSIVE EATING!!!(SEARCH ENGINE) HINT, HINT,HINT!!

The fat free cottage cheese I buy contains in 1/2 cup serving: 0g fat, 4g carbs, 14g protein and 80 calories (probably 80 cals instead of 72 because cann’t be totally fat free - has a trace of fat - <1g). Anyway, thats 78% protein. And I never eat 1/2 cup serving but 1-2 cups, so that would be 28-56 grams protein. Now mix in some tuna and you have tons of protein. And cottage cheese is casein based so it is slow release. If your cottage cheese is only 10% protein, I’d shop for another brand as all brands I’ve seed are as above. Excellent and convenient source of casein based protein.

Vort, I’m just going to guess here, but you probably mean by total weight. That includes any water or anything in there. Heb’s values are probably for a 100 gram serving, making it only 14% protein by total weight. It’s not including water or anything like that. Cottage cheese an ideal source of protein because it’s almost entirely made of casein, which is a high quality, slow acting protein.

Just to elaborate on Travis’s post - macro-nutrient %'s should be based on % of calories, not weight. If you want to know the percentage breakdown of macro-nutrients, the reference is to total calories the food contains. Therefore, fat=x% of total calories, carbs=x% of total calories, and protein=x% of total calories, which would include the total caloric makeup of the food. It’s calories that you should be concerned about, whether bulking or cutting, not weight of food.

Is the casein in the milk part of the cottage cheese? The ingredients on my label are as follows: cultured pasteurized skim milk, nonfat milk, whey protein concentrate, whey, and nonfat milk solids. Sounds like a lot of whey.

Milk is the primary ingredient when making cottage cheese. Any other ingrediant listed, is in small amounts. Milk contains 2 main types of protein: casein and whey. Milk contains way more (no pun intended) casein than whey. When the cheese “curds” form, they are formed by the casein solidifying. This leaves “curds and whey” (remember little miss muffet, sat on a tuffet, eating her “curds and whey” - it was cottage cheese). Anyway, the formation of cottage cheese curds seperates the casein into solid curds from which the whey stays seperate and liquid. They used to just discard the liquid whey portion as waste until they found out body builders will pay big bucks for it. Now a lot of whey protein is extracted from the waste by product of cottage cheese making. Anyway, cottage cheese has milk which is primarily casein as the major ingrediant and as the curds form, it’s all casein and any whey added back in is a very small percentage or very small part of the ingrediants. Cottage cheese just by definition of how it forms into casein curds is predominately casein based and any whey content added back in is very small percentage of total. Cottage cheese is natures way of seperating the casein from the whey. Hope that helped clear things up.

Jus to elaborate on Heb’s post, cottage cheese is pretty much the same thing as mozzarella. Mozzarella is made by separatings the curd from the whey. They are then placed in hot water, gathered together and then gently kneaded and formed into balls.

Thanks. Cleared things up perfectly.