T Nation

Fat Free Mass Index Standards

[quote]rusty92 wrote:
This ffmi thing is a pretty often recurring thread topic. In the last one although I lot of people had a lot to say about it being wrong, no one natural actually exceeded the estimates for what is possible, at least not anyone lean.

OP because I have no life I worked your ffmi out at around 24.75 (corrected up to 25 for your height)…which is not at the 26ish limit proposed by the authors. Also as Apoklyps noted, a higher body fat means the ability to hold more lean mass, so combined with your own estimating of body fat % I really wouldn’t concern yourself.

As other have said, does it really matter anyway? The general conclusions to thread like these, and those that ask how strong someone can get naturally is; ‘why does it matter what other people say/think is possible, everyone is different so just keep at it and see how strong/big you personally can get’. [/quote]

This.

I have rarely come across/hear about any lifters who genuinely challenge this guideline, and you are certainly not one of them. You have plenty, plenty of gains to come.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I don’t see it as a scale that says “this is the absolute max” but more simply “Observing top levels of natural lifters, this is where the max tends to fall”.
[/quote]

Nailed it. This is exactly the inherent assumption that I referred to in FFMI using high level natural bodybuilders as a “max”. All it means is that if you are in a position where FFMI can be LEGITIMATELY applied and you reach an FFMI of about 25 or slightly over naturally, then congratulations, you have some gifted genetics. Does this mean that this is a hard limit on an individual’s gains? No, most people won’t be able to reach that level, and a lucky few might be able to push the envelope.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

I don’t see it as a scale that says “this is the absolute max” but more simply “Observing top levels of natural lifters, this is where the max tends to fall”.
[/quote]

Nailed it. This is exactly the inherent assumption that I referred to in FFMI using high level natural bodybuilders as a “max”. All it means is that if you are in a position where FFMI can be LEGITIMATELY applied and you reach an FFMI of about 25 or slightly over naturally, then congratulations, you have some gifted genetics. Does this mean that this is a hard limit on an individual’s gains? No, most people won’t be able to reach that level, and a lucky few might be able to push the envelope.[/quote]

If a natural lifter is looking for a ‘goal’ to reach; it’s much easier to use 3lbs. per inch of height while in a lean state (see Apoklyps’s avatar pic). That is the ‘rule of thumb’ I was given over thirty years ago and it has held up well over time.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
If a natural lifter is looking for a ‘goal’ to reach; it’s much easier to use 3lbs. per inch of height while in a lean state (see Apoklyps’s avatar pic). That is the ‘rule of thumb’ I was given over thirty years ago and it has held up well over time.
[/quote]

Thanks! :smiley:

Definitely been packing on the pounds lately though. I need to get a lot stronger if I want to achieve my PL goals.

Setting long-term goals is a good thing, but it mystifies me why people are so concerned with whatever their natural limit is. No arbitrary standard can tell you what your maximum potential is. You want to get bigger and stronger? Cool, then get off your ass and just do it and stop worrying about things you can’t change. If you want to use drugs to reach your goal, that’s your choice (just be smart about it). If you don’t want to use drugs, don’t. It’s that simple.

[

[/quote]

This. Hence people see few or no competitors at natural bodybuilding shows weighing 200 or over shredded.

I suggest people interested in this topic actually attend a natty pro show or a natty pro qualifier, such as the Hercules in NYC, which I regularly attend. I don’t even think there was one guy this past summer who weighed over 200 pounds onstage.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[

[/quote]

This. Hence people see few or no competitors at natural bodybuilding shows weighing 200 or over shredded.

I suggest people interested in this topic actually attend a natty pro show or a natty pro qualifier, such as the Hercules in NYC, which I regularly attend. I don’t even think there was one guy this past summer who weighed over 200 pounds onstage. [/quote]

To emphasize your point, most ‘natural’ bodybuilders aren’t natural anyway. https://www.T-Nation.com/training/how-natural-is-natural-bodybuilding