T Nation

Fat Fast For Fat Man

Hello ,
I have not posted very often on the T-Nation site but i have been visiting since it started. i have been training for about ten years and i am still the lard arse that i have always been. I am sick of being fat so i have started the fat fast diet.For years i have been to weak willed to do what has to be done. I seem to have been on a diet for god knows how long, but i never seem to get anywhere. Not because the exercise and diet programs dont work it is just that i always find a way to justify slipping off the wagon. After catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror in all my corpulant glory on christmas morning I have made a choice: I am going to loose weight and there is nothing that will stop me. So for the next month i am going to be on the program, fat fast that is. I dont care how hard this diet is. Bring it on! I dont care if i am not as strong in the gym, I dont want to be the strong fat guy anyway. Everyday i am going to do 45- 60 min of cardio and hit the weights 4-5 times per week plus the fat fast. It is day four for me now and things are going pretty well i started at 107.7kg and my waist was 114cm and as of this morning i am 103.5kg.
I have decided to post what i am doing on the web so i cant just quit and go back to the way I was. Feel free to laugh at, ridicule, encourage or ignore my posts.Bring it on!
bwill(fatman)

1st, Good For You! Go for it!

2nd. Um. By Fat Fast, you don’t mean avoiding all fats, do you? Of course not, you know the importance of fats, as well as proteins and carbs.

May I suggest www.dietpower.com? I don’t use it much anymore. But it really helped me get a handle on what I was eating, and helped me with understanding proper portion control.

Finally, if you’ve been sedentary for awhile, I caution against starting such an instensive program. I’d suggest easing into it. But still set those goals! For instance: start with 15 min cardio, and 2 or 3 short weight lifting sessions a week. Every 2 weeks, add 5 minutes. Etc. That kind of approach. I too am a fat dude (though not as fat as I was!!! :slight_smile: Good luck!

Best wishes to you,bwill.
Have you considered posting a picture and update it every couple of weeks? This would probably help motivate your plan.
I myself am considering this option. You have been warned. :slight_smile:

Bwill,

Sounds like you suddenly found some desire and discipline. Hang the hell onto it!

I’d second the picture thing. If you aren’t willing to post them, at least take them. They can be your before shots and remain a good source of motivation.

[Note to newbies: The fat fast is described on this site. Use the search feature.]

My only recommendation is to have a plan in place by the time you come off the fat fast. Drop into a strict t-dawg diet or something. Your body will be looking for payback and you don’t want to revert to shitty eating while it is in that mode.

This time, stay strict and don’t make any damned excuses. Make it a lifestyle. Perhaps most importantly, plan ahead so you are never “hungry” – which makes it easy to avoid temptation.

Good luck.

[quote]vroom wrote:
My only recommendation is to have a plan in place by the time you come off the fat fast. Drop into a strict t-dawg diet or something. Your body will be looking for payback and you don’t want to revert to shitty eating while it is in that mode.[/quote]

I definitely agree w/ that although I would say you should have your exit plan from fat fast written up right now. The first time I trained on Fat Fast I often reminded myself that after week three I would enter a modified Zone diet – immeditately!!

Why is this important? Your mindset throughout FF shouldn’t be, “When this is over, I’m eating at the buffet every day!” This is why people fail FF. No dedication to the exit plan.

well i have been on the fat fast for a bit over six days now and things are going really well. I dont feel tired at all,full of energy actually. I thought i would feel awful and have to really force myself to do things. the fat is falling off of me i can really see the difference in my upper body and face. I have not weighed myself since my last post because i dont want get to hung up on the numbers but i know i have lost weight because my watch is really loose on my wrist and my pants are looser as well. I dont think i have lost any muscle as my calves and arms are the same size as before i started the fat fast.

I have been following the fat fast that is more like the one in the Atkins book but having flax oil and fish oil. I have been eating about 1200- 1400 cals per day. about 1100 to 1400 cals coming from fats.i have been taking multi vitains and drinking about 4-5 litres of water per day.

I know Chis Shugart is going to do his own fat fast. I am looking forward to hearing about his experiences and results.

I hope everyone has a good new year.
bwill

bwill,

Seems there has been a lot of interest in the Fat Fast protocol lately. I myself will be giving it a shot later this month.

Can you run down your typical food intake for the day (what you’ve been eating and when)? I’d like to see how you’ve been adhering to the diet.

Your results sound promising. Keep up the good work.

-Jeff

hi Jeff K,
At the moment i have been eating way more fat than what brock did. I have been following more the original fat fast that Atkins talks about in his book. So as a result i have been “eating” olive oil mixed with salad dressing, cream cheese, fish oil gel caps, flax oil gel caps and as a treat every couple of day a low carb protein powder mixed with flax oil, to hide the taste, even the smell of flax oil make me want to puke.

Most of the “meals” have been the olive oil with the salad dressing(Paul Newman’s classic if you are interested)this way it only takes a second to force it down. I don’t really think other people should do this, it is just i find this way the easiest to force down. Probably the hardest bit of this diet is the meals i dont look forward to eating at all but at the same time i am never really very hungry. So if eating like this for a month is the what it takes for me to get the results i want so be it.
As i get further into the diet i will probably have more of the protein and flax shakes that Brock used.

It is day 8 for me now and i can see changes in my body each day. I still feel really good, excellent in fact. I don’t have any lethargy at all and i am sleeping better than ever.

Keep it up man; as Rob Schneider stated in Water Boy: “you can do it!”

First and foremost consider using Coconut Oil and other coconut products in your diet. There has been a surge of research and interest in the potential of coconut fats in elevating one?s metabolism, in addition to enhancing immunity and a whole plethora of other benefits. An article I read by Bruce Fife N.D. indicated that ?In normal weight individuals, after a single meal containing MCT-Medium Chain Triglycerides, the type of fat found in coconut oil, metabolism increases by 48%. In obese individuals, metabolism increases by an incredible 65%! So, the more overweight a person is the greater effect coconut oil has on stimulating metabolism and encouraging weight loss. This metabolic stimulating effect isn?t seen for only an hour or two after eating. After a single meal containing MCT, metabolism remains elevated for a full 24 hours.? Rather than go on and on about this, I have included a link for your assistance: Look at the Research section, specifically under ?Weight Management? and you?ll find a wealth of info.

Try mixing coconut milk with chocolate protein powder and cocoa powder. Tastes really good.

The link: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Just to throw my two cents in here, I tried a customized ketogenic kick-start diet last year based upon the approach that CT took in his “Beast Evolves” article. I kick-started my diet by doing three weeks of <20g carbs per day (mostly from Low-Carb Grow and nuts), then gradually introduced one daily carb meal per week, starting with Surge post-workout on training days or one low-glycemic C+P meal for breakfast on non-training days. I would then add one more daily low-glycemic C+P meal per week until I was up to my usual four C+P meals and two C+F meals per day. This all took seven weeks, which left me with five more weeks of more traditional dieting (for a total of 12 weeks).

I was very pleased with the results, and planned on doing one more cycle of dieting in a similar fashion to get rid of the last bit of fat. Of course, fate decided to intervene and screw me with health problems that kept me out of the gym for months, but that’s another story. Bottom line is: the diet worked pretty well.

In hindsight, I think I would have done more cardio than I did (shot for HIIT three times per week, ended up averaging about 2.25 sessions per week). But I seem to be one of those people who responds better to a diet the more cardio I do. It also doesn’t help that I have a job where I plant my fat jalopy ass on a chair for nine hours straight.

Have you used any supplements besides protein powders?

Are you still able to perform at the same intensity?

-Thanks!

[quote]StrongrThanDeth wrote:
Have you used any supplements besides protein powders?

Are you still able to perform at the same intensity?

-Thanks![/quote]

I assume you’re asking bwill, but I’ll answer anyway, just in case. For the first three days or so, I was pretty much a walking zombie with mononucleosis. I felt a bit loopy and couldn’t concentrate to save my life (which was a bit of a problem, since I’m a computer programmer, but I digress). After about a week though, I honestly didn’t feel a huge difference between my workouts before and my workouts during the ketosis. This may have been due to my enthusiasm about the diet, but I have no real way of knowing. I also had dialed down the volume since I knew my capacity to recover was so compromised. I did, however, notice a marked difference in pump after I started introducing carbs into my diet again. I suppose I did deflate somewhat after all my muscle glycogen got depleted.

I also forgot to mention, I accompanied at least two of my meals per day with a green salad. I was so reluctant to eat vegetables for fear of carbs that I resorted to eating a ton of mixed greens with olive oil, etc. Gotta get your phytonutrients from somewhere, you know?

As for supplements, I used Low-Carb Grow!, Surge (once I started adding carbs again), HOT-ROX, a ton of fish oil and flax seed oil capsules, fiber capsules, and a daily multi-vitamin.

Thanks Chris…
any problems with constipation?

Hi,
Today i weighed in at 100.3kg first thing in the morning, after a pee.
Still feel really good, the only time that i have felt below average is after mowing the lawn for an hour and a half in 32 degree C temp. By the end the mower felt like it weighed about 300 pounds. I was stupid to do it all in one hit in that heat. duh!

I just worked out about an hour ago, did chest and back. I am definatly weaker than before the diet but not too bad. I did 8 sets of chins and dips supersets. In the last few sets my strength dropped way really fast. I then did 4 sets of calf raises no real changes in stregth there.

The only supplements that i have taken so far are multi vitamins, protein powder, flax and fish oil capsules. I dont have access to HOT-ROX or any other Biotest supplements due to them not being available or prohibitavely expensive in australia i.e Low-Carb Grow! costs $70! I emailed Biotest a few times to see if they would ship to australia( much cheaper) but got no reply so i will just go without, although it would be good to see how much a differnce the new HOT-ROX would make on this diet.

Next time i post i will be under 100kg.
Thanks for all of your support so far it has really helped keep me focused and motivated.
bwill

[quote]bwill wrote:
Hi,

Still feel really good, the only time that i have felt below average is after mowing the lawn for an hour and a half in 32 degree C temp.

Next time i post i will be under 100kg.
Thanks for all of your support so far it has really helped keep me focused and motivated.
bwill[/quote]

bwill,

Sounds like you’re seeing great results. This has really motivated me to try the Fat Fast and see how it works for me.

I’ll be very interested to see your results after another week or two, please continue posting your results.

-Jeff

That is awesome man! Glad to see that you’re finally getting what you deserve.

Small note though, once you do get to a weight that you are very pleased with, you may feel the urge to reward yourself.

With diets like the fast fat, those rewards can turn into binging and efforts may fall. Remember if you do decide to go off the diet, slowly make your way back to a more “balanced” diet.

Great work, keep it up! We are counting on you!

[quote]TommyRewind wrote:
vroom wrote:
My only recommendation is to have a plan in place by the time you come off the fat fast. Drop into a strict t-dawg diet or something. Your body will be looking for payback and you don’t want to revert to shitty eating while it is in that mode.

I definitely agree w/ that although I would say you should have your exit plan from fat fast written up right now. The first time I trained on Fat Fast I often reminded myself that after week three I would enter a modified Zone diet – immeditately!!

Why is this important? Your mindset throughout FF shouldn’t be, “When this is over, I’m eating at the buffet every day!” This is why people fail FF. No dedication to the exit plan.[/quote]

Oh you guys beat me to it shakes fist with rage

It’s all good, great advice.