Fat Doctors Make Fat Patients Feel Better, And Worse

“People who are overweight or obese often feel like they’re getting dissed by doctors.”

Doctors are not experts on healthy living…they are experts on diagnosing disease that their pharmaceutical will fix. you want lost weight get advise talk to a well educated trainer like nutritional …not a pill pusher.

Wow man, you’re right. MD’s have continually kept secret the keys to healthy living and weight loss; seeking only to push pills on those would come to the clinic/hospital trying to work hard at being fit instead of taking a pill to do it for them.

It’s only natural that in the year 2013 none of the public grasps the idea of eating fresh fruits/vegetables and avoiding processed/fried foods to become healthier. No one has access to facts which have been public knowledge for 50 years or a radio, television or the internet to simply google “eating healthy” to find out the secrets. I mean, no one even puts the caloric intake on food labels anymore…

MD’s are the least of the public’s problems

some people think somehow because they are doctors they are nutrition experts. Nutrition is a foreign concept in medical school. A pill for every ill is the mantra and paid vacation or meal at the expense of the pharmaceutical companies and their patients.

I have heard the doctors don’t have a lot of time to learn more than just the fundamentals of nutrition, and that’s understandable.

I think if someone who is overweight comes in the doctor is justified in just saying that person should eat less and go for a brisk walk and eat more vegetables.

I remember going to a doctor when I was 19 or 20 for some reason and he said I should lose weight and gave me a pamhplet for a diet I believe was 800 calories.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I have heard the doctors don’t have a lot of time to learn more than just the fundamentals of nutrition[/quote]

True, nutrition education only gets real in dental school.

So I’ve heard.

“Please do NOT bother consulting your physician before embarking on this routine or any other training program. Most doctors generally don’t know jack shit about strength training and could not possibly begin to fathom your burning desire to be huge and superior.”

-Steve Pulcinella

OP said it best. Doctors know all about diagnosing medical conditions and treating them. There is not actually much basis to think they know much about nutrition and exercise based on the fact that someone is a doctor alone.

Are we supposed to rely on doctors to know everything, like we aren’t capable of knowing how to eat well and maintain a healthy life?

Anybody who believes that deserves all of the disillusionment life has in store for them.

Almost everyone knows how to eat healthy. Too many just don’t give a damn and end up fat.

[quote] IcyFlame wrote:
“People who are overweight or obese often feel like they’re getting dissed by doctors.”

Doctors are not experts on healthy living…they are experts on diagnosing disease that their pharmaceutical will fix. you want lost weight get advise talk to a well educated trainer like nutritional …not a pill pusher.[/quote]

I really disagree with the anti-medical sentiment in this thread. Doctors are much more than mere “pill pushers”. Doctors possess a unique level of responsibility for the patient’s health that trainers do not. Just because many doctors do not understand how training works doesn’t change this. Conversely, you could argue that trainers often do not understand how to best mitigate the health risks of obesity-related health issues.

You are also largely glossing over one key feature: you can recommend exercise and healthy living all you want, but 90% of people won’t do jack shit about it. Drugs aren’t the best solution to obesity, and I think most doctors would agree with that. But you have to consider the best interests of the patient, and patient compliance to treatment is critical to the efficacy of a treatment.

You all are ignoring the reality that diet is hard and screw that.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
You all are ignoring the reality that diet is hard and screw that. [/quote]

I dont ignore it, I embrace it.

But, I am weird.

Why is there so much hate agains M.D’s. Did you guys not get into med-school or are you angry that the 70patiens/day general MD didnt shake your hand after seeing you?

[quote]NikH wrote:
Why is there so much hate agains M.D’s. Did you guys not get into med-school or are you angry that the 70patiens/day general MD didnt shake your hand after seeing you?[/quote]
I don’t hate MD’s. I am good friends with many doctors, and I think they’re all fantastic. If I were to venture a guess as to why there may be a general atmosphere of negativism towards MD’s in the strength sport community, I would say that it’s probably because doctors have a habit of telling people to stop lifting after injuries or telling them what they will or will not ever be able to do again.

Doctors play it safe, and you can’t blame them. But the fact remains lots of injured meatheads get bullshitted by doctors everyday, and it’s up to them to come back stronger and prove the MD’s wrong.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:
Why is there so much hate agains M.D’s. Did you guys not get into med-school or are you angry that the 70patiens/day general MD didnt shake your hand after seeing you?[/quote]
I don’t hate MD’s. I am good friends with many doctors, and I think they’re all fantastic. If I were to venture a guess as to why there may be a general atmosphere of negativism towards MD’s in the strength sport community, I would say that it’s probably because doctors have a habit of telling people to stop lifting after injuries or telling them what they will or will not ever be able to do again.

Doctors play it safe, and you can’t blame them. But the fact remains lots of injured meatheads get bullshitted by doctors everyday, and it’s up to them to come back stronger and prove the MD’s wrong.[/quote]
TL;DR

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

Doctors play it safe, and you can’t blame them. But the fact remains lots of injured meatheads get bullshitted by doctors everyday, and it’s up to them to come back stronger and prove the MD’s wrong.[/quote]
TL;DR[/quote]
I read that once. Although I stared at it for a little while reading it. Does that mean I technically read it an infinite number of times in infinitesimally small increments of time?

I read your post an infinite number of times Quincy.